Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

That sucks. I'd think whatever happens after a player is signed should be irrelevant but what do I know. 

The nature of formulas is that teams will learn how to play the system. The timing of Bradford's cut clearly has to do with the week nine line in the sand for whether a player counts against the compensatory formula. Teams are increasingly making moves with compensatory picks in mind. The Cardinals gain a late pick and it costs the Vikings the third.

Now someone will sign Bradford to a one year contract in hopes of getting a compensatory pick later for the compensatory loss without Bradford ever counting as a compensatory gain. Signing non-compensatory free agents that will later have value in the free agent market to one year rental contracts is a way to effectively try and buy draft picks.

12 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

If he is claimed by a team do the Vikings still get that pick?

Yes. Traded players, like Teddy Bridgewater, still count as a loss in the formula. I am pretty sure it is the same with a player that is claimed on waivers. That player is still bound by the terms of the contract he signed as a compensatory free agent. If the player is under the contract they signed as a compensatory free agent they should count in the compensatory formula.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

While far from a conventional NFL offense at the moment, the Panthers have found their sweet spot with new offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who has helped create one of the league’s best-performing units without throwing it all over the yard. That was on full display yesterday, as 12 different players touched the ball, three of them scored rushing touchdowns, and none of those scores came from quarterback Cam Newton.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/05/norv-turner-is-revolutionizing-offense-in-carolina/

Brown’s widow, Darlene Brown, told Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press that the family would donate Brown’s brain to Boston University’s Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) Center, where it will be determined if he had the disease.

Former Vikings quarterback Rich Gannon, Brown’s son-in-law, tweeted that Brown “passed away peacefully,” via the Associated Press. “He was an incredible man who was so good to me and everyone he ever met!” Gannon wrote.

Brown made four Pro Bowls in 14 NFL seasons. Brown ranks fourth in Vikings history with 5,757 rushing yards. He also scored 52 rushing touchdowns and 75 total touchdowns in his career in Minnesota.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/04/former-pro-bowler-bill-brown-dies-at-80/

Edited by vike daddy

I had posted it on Twitter, but I met Bill Brown one time...I think it was in 2000.  I was at the hospital visiting my grandma, and it just so happened that Bill Brown's daughter (Rich Gannon's wife) was in a room just around the corner.  I can't recall what she was in there for, but my grandfather introduced him to me, as he knew Bill from when he worked at Met Stadium.  He was a great guy...RIP Bill!

Veteran wideout Kendall Wright is back on the inside of the Cardinals’ roster revolving door. Via Darren Urban of the team’s official website, the Cards re-signed Wright Monday after returning from their bye week, backfilling one of their two open roster spots.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/05/cardinals-bring-back-wideout-kendall-wright/