This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Look at Devante Adams. Dude was horrible for 2 years before finally catching on.

Adams actually looked really good as a rookie, just had a bad year two where he was basically forced to be the #1 edge WR while playing with a lower body injury.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Adams actually looked really good as a rookie, just had a bad year two where he was basically forced to be the #1 edge WR while playing with a lower body injury.

Tread only had one catch his rookie year, I have never heard of that ever, and he played most of the year too.

Yeah Adams played very good his rookie year. The Pats game I think, and helped us defeat the Cowboys in the playoffs.

Edited by PackyAttacky

1 minute ago, PackyAttacky said:

He sure did have one catch his rookie year, I have never heard of that ever, and he played most of the year too.

why did you quote me?

Adams had 38 catches his rookie year then 7 catches 117 yds and a TD in the Playoffs vs the Cowboys. Pretty respectable really.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Look at Devante Adams. Dude was horrible for 2 years before finally catching on.

It's been said already, but I'm going to say it again.  38 catches, 443 yards, 3 touchdowns in rookie regular season, 8 reception 124 yards 1 TD in rookie postseason.

50 reception 483 yard 1 TD second season, 4 receptions 48 yards and a TD in one postseason game second year.

And he was a low second round pick.

If that's horrible, the Vikings should give a first round pick to a team to get rid of Treadwell. 

Treadwell was officially active for 9 games last season.  Zimmer made a point last season to say that Treadwell needed to learn more before he got onto the field.

Treadwell had a very, very, very bad rookie year.  There's no argument there.  I never said that he's a bust, I never said he couldn't bounce back.  Fact is that Treadwell's first year was very, very bad and that's never a good look for a first round pick. 

Additionally, I make fun of the Treadwell pick not because he had a bad rookie season.  I make fun of the Treadwell pick because even if he turns into Larry Fitzgerald 2.0, he's not going to be able to BE that LF2.0 when the Vikings offensive line is so bad.  You alluded to that yourself. 

The Lions drafted three first round receivers in four years.  A year after they took Calvin Johnson they went 0-16.  You think they would have went 0-16 if they picked Ben Roethlisberger instead of Roy Williams?  Demarcus Ware instead of Mike Williams?  Joe Thomas instead of Calvin Johnson? 

2004 - They pick any of the next five picks that aren't receivers (DeAngelo Hall, Dunta Robinson, Ben Roethlisberger, Jonathan Vilma, Tommie Harris).
2005 - They pick any of the next five picks that aren't receivers (Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Jamal Brown, Thomas Davis, Derrick Johnson). 
2008 (Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams, Levi Brown, Laron Landry, Adrian Peterson)

I could go back 30 years in NFL history and not only create a compelling case, but provide undeniable proof that taking a receiver in the first round is the right decision maybe 10% of the time, and of that 10%, 100% is after the 25th pick (to get value). 

Edited by HorizontoZenith
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Treadwell had a very, very, very bad rookie year.  There's no argument there.  I never said that he's a bust, I never said he couldn't bounce back.  Fact is that Treadwell's first year was very, very bad and that's never a good look for a first round pick.

You could make the same argument for Jared Goff as well. His rookie season is the textbook example for why you don't throw a rookie QB into the fire on a horrible team. Goff has mental issues because of it now.

Pathetic. Very sad!

As for the Lions, Matt Millen did not know how to build an offense. They haven't had a secure OL in years and their depth has never been good. If I were the Ford family, I'd fire the entire scouting department and start over. We could also argue coaching here, but you've seen what Rod Marinelli has been able to do as a DL coach and coordinator over the past few years and you seriously have to question whether or not he should've gotten more time in Detroit.

Just now, Joe said:

You could make the same argument for Jared Goff as well. His rookie season is the textbook example for why you don't throw a rookie QB into the fire on a horrible team. Goff has mental issues because of it now.

Pathetic. Very sad!

That's another issue for NFL teams.  You can tell when a team is ready for a QB.  The Rams were not.  They were the 28th ranked team in the NFL in points scored.  I don't think you go QB in round one unless you're capable of scoring 20 points a game minimum with whoever you currently had at QB.

Horizon's draft rules:

1. Take the best available OL/DL unless you've got two good DL starters and a minimum of 3 good OL starters (still take the best DL/OL available if any of those 2/3 have age or injury concerns)

2. Don't take a QB unless you were capable of scoring 20 points the year before, or if there's too great a disparity between a talented QB and the next best available player.  If this is the case, sit that QB the entire year, NO EXCEPTIONS.

3. Never, under any circumstance whatsoever, take a wide receiver, special teamer or tight end in the top 10 of the draft.

4. Positions are ranked as EDGE, DL, OL, QB, DB, RB, TE, WR.  Except for the pass rusher (unless there's a top interior pass rusher), the closer a player is to the ball, the more value they will provide in any given game. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yikes, Seahawks landed Richardson. Add him to the Dline with Avril, Bennett and Frank Clark. Could be scary good. We better have Bulaga Week 1. 

Yeah Seattle back to competing wit Denver for best D in football. Scary stuff. Also our interior getting tested sans Sitton and Lang.

3 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

Yeah Seattle back to competing wit Denver for best D in football. Scary stuff. Also our interior getting tested sans Sitton and Lang.

I'm not concerned about Taylor and Evans. They'll be fine. But Murphy and Spriggs can't block any of those guys. Period. 

25 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm just glad that Richardson to Seahawks trade happened now instead of before training camp.  The Seahawks just got worse for week one because Richardson probably isn't doing much after being traded to the team 9 days before his first game. 

That was my thinking too. At least he won't be fully up to date for game one.

This is sideways but I had this thought today seeing some post where it said (I think it was packfan actually) that backup LT was his biggest worry. Before the pre season was there any backup spot we felt more comfortable with, the NFL is freaking weird.

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Dammit why did it have to be Seattle. That DL didn't need to get any scarier. Well, Packers OL will get it's stiffest test likely all season in that Week 1 match-up

No they won't though.  Richardson isn't going from one side of the country to the other side of the country and learning the entire playbook and all his responsibilities in 9 days enough to be all that effective.  Out of all the teams on the Seahawks schedule, the Packers lucked out the most. 

Hopefully we beat them week one, get that game and a half tiebreaker over them, they beat up the rest of the NFC for us and we get homefield advantage. 

I'd be more scared if it was a team like the Falcons or Vikings or Lions who made this move.  We've been able to absolutely dominate the Seahawks ever since that Championship game loss.  Russell Wilson has like 9 interceptions against us in his last three games against us.  Their defense got better, but the Seahawks are the one team that we know how to stop on offense.