This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like this.  Fields ceiling now is not as good as it would have been had they sat him for a year and let him play with a better OL.

I feel like he's shell shocked and looking to run first.  He was never able to learn how to go through a progression.

That’s a really good point that people overlook when talking about starting rookies right away. 

if you don’t have some pieces around the QB, rookie QBs can pick up bad habits quick 

11 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

That’s a really good point that people overlook when talking about starting rookies right away. 

if you don’t have some pieces around the QB, rookie QBs can pick up bad habits quick 

Wasn't the big knock-on Fields coming out of college his ability to process things quickly enough?

46 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Wasn't the big knock-on Fields coming out of college his ability to process things quickly enough?

I don't recall that, but it could be true.  

My main issue with him was this.  Ohio State.

Every time he took the field there, he had more talent, usually by far, than his opponent.  Look at the number of drafted guys he played with.

Then he goes to the Bears.  Who, let's be fair here, are or were, in a re-build mode because they were not that talented.

It was a situation that he had not been in before.  Being on the team with lesser talent.  And that has shown in his record.  Especially compared to the record of the other Chicago QB's who have started when he could not.

He has better weaponz now.  Not sure if the line is that much better, but it could be.  One has to hope that the whuppin' he took for two years doesn't lead to the David Carr type of career.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't recall that, but it could be true.  

My main issue with him was this.  Ohio State.

Every time he took the field there, he had more talent, usually by far, than his opponent.  Look at the number of drafted guys he played with.

Then he goes to the Bears.  Who, let's be fair here, are or were, in a re-build mode because they were not that talented.

It was a situation that he had not been in before.  Being on the team with lesser talent.  And that has shown in his record.  Especially compared to the record of the other Chicago QB's who have started when he could not.

He has better weaponz now.  Not sure if the line is that much better, but it could be.  One has to hope that the whuppin' he took for two years doesn't lead to the David Carr type of career.

Remind me what David Carr has won again? 

Also, I don't see him becoming that proficient at running an offense. 

Edited by Old Guy

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Remind me what David Carr has won again? 

Also, I don't see him becoming that proficient at running an offense. 

David Carr was the QB for the Texans that took the beating and was never the same.

Older brother to Derek.

Which is why there should be some concern about Fields playing behind that line for the past 2 seasons (at least parts of them).

Not disagreeing with you at all concerning Fields.  I liked him better coming out than I do right now.  Basically because of what you said, I don't feel like he can run an offense after sustaining the beatings he took for the past two years.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

David Carr was the QB for the Texans that took the beating and was never the same.

Older brother to Derek.

Which is why there should be some concern about Fields playing behind that line for the past 2 seasons (at least parts of them).

Not disagreeing with you at all concerning Fields.  I liked him better coming out than I do right now.  Basically because of what you said, I don't feel like he can run an offense after sustaining the beatings he took for the past two years.

My bad! I always get them confused. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I don’t understand how people are high on what Chicago is doing. There’s nowhere to go but up , but trading pick 32 for Claypool, re-signing Kmet like this, paying big money to TWO off-ball LBs??? I’m not impressed in the slightest.

I mean, if you're a fan of Justin Fields then sure.

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

There was concern that Ryan Day's offensive scheme masked his issues.  And he played with a TON of talent in that Buckeyes' WR room.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

There was concern that Ryan Day's offensive scheme masked his issues.  And he played with a TON of talent in that Buckeyes' WR room.

Outside of LSU it would be hard to find a team with a better stretch of WR talent over that 2-3 year time. Joey Burrow also had a ton of talent but it was pretty apparent he was a different kind of QB than Fields.  I won’t dance on his grave just yet, but this is a pretty important year for Fields.  Chi is where QBs go to die and I’m just fine if he continues than age old tradition. 

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

For a long time Ohio State has had offensive success in college football without Quarterbacks who translated to the NFL.  You don't really want to scout the helmet, but there may be something structural there.  Sooner or later one's going to hit, but people were excited about Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Dwayne Haskins, and Cardale Jones too. 

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

For a long time Ohio State has had offensive success in college football without Quarterbacks who translated to the NFL.  You don't really want to scout the helmet, but there may be something structural there.  Sooner or later one's going to hit, but people were excited about Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Dwayne Haskins, and Cardale Jones too. 

Were teams really excited about them?  Aside from Haskins, the rest weren't high nfl picks