This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

This Vikings team has the make of one of those sneaky pull 10 wins out of their *** teams.  If they can get some luck with turnovers, they have an offense that should put up a lot of points.  I am waiting for a Case Keenum overachieving kind of season from them.  And everyone, Vikings fans included, are going to be saying, "how are they winning these games?" but there they will be, with a bunch of wins.

• Like 1

Darnold is good enough to do a decent Jay Cutler impersonation, but I don't see him dragging a kind of mediocre Vikings team to 10+ wins.  Which means it will be mccarthy sooner than later which means they will be a 4-7 win team I'd guess.

On 7/8/2024 at 9:27 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

So, anyone more familiar with Jackson, and/or Minnesota's roster know where he slated in the DB pecking order?

I am sure that I picked him in some of my draft sims, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I use those to see what happens if I take a running back in the first or some other off the wall scenario, just to see what I am left with if the actual preferred players don't land where we want them to.  

CB is a weak enough position that we all expected him to see some playing time on the field this year, would not have been shocked if he was the nickel. 

Big loss for the team for sure, and just a sad story all around. 

• Like 1

Is anybody else watching this HardKnocks Offseason show with the Giants? 

The clip about Saquon Barkley is going around, but hot damn, the rest isn't any better. 

This **** is insane. These people are genuinely retarded. Their estimate for this year's Salary Cap number was 240. Guys on this board were estimating 250, and it ended up being 255. 

The guy who gave Daniel Jones 4/160 is so very obviously the smartest guy in the room that it's startling, and he looks exasperated with his minions half the time. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This **** is insane. These people are genuinely retarded. Their estimate for this year's Salary Cap number was 240. Guys on this board were estimating 250, and it ended up being 255. 

I'm not watching it but I'd probably try to project minimum increases just to give myself the wiggle room year to year when it's higher rather than being up against it in case something goes wrong. That has happened in the recent past.

12 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I'm not watching it but I'd probably try to project minimum increases just to give myself the wiggle room year to year when it's higher rather than being up against it in case something goes wrong. That has happened in the recent past.

Agreed, but If you're running a billion dollar organization you should have several plans for every potential number that comes out. 

The 255 number came out and the response should have been "Open up your binder to page 174 where we have plan 6A laid out. If we can't get Brian Burns we'll pivot to plan 6B which can be found on page 209."

It should not have been "Oh ****, that's $15 million more than we planned for, somebody run down to John's office and tell him to get the checkbook up here."

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Agreed, but If you're running a billion dollar organization you should have several plans for every potential number that comes out. 

The 255 number came out and the response should have been "Open up your binder to page 174 where we have plan 6A laid out. If we can't get Brian Burns we'll pivot to plan 6B which can be found on page 209."

It should not have been "Oh ****, that's $15 million more than we planned for, somebody run down to John's office and tell him to get the checkbook up here."

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Oh for sure I'd probably have a rough idea for both above and below the projection, but my baseline scenario would be fairly pessimistic.

NFL teams have way more information on the economics of revenue into the NFL on a yearly basis.  they should have a pretty good understanding of where the league is from that perspective.  some of the outlier sources of revenue are the gambling and streaming sources that can move the projected amount some.

On 7/10/2024 at 12:24 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

The clip about Saquon Barkley is going around, but hot damn, the rest isn't any better. 

The guy who gave Daniel Jones 4/160 is so very obviously the smartest guy in the room that it's startling, and he looks exasperated with his minions half the time. 

I'm sure teams generally operate with a pessimistic viewpoint when it comes to cap space.

On 7/10/2024 at 12:24 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

And yet we lost to them with Tommy Devito starting. Thanks Barry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

And yet we lost to them with Tommy Devito starting. Thanks Barry.

Whatever we did in the Broncos, Raiders, and Giants games needs to be flushed down the toilet.  I think we have a good team.  Those kinds of losses are unacceptable, if we have a good team.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Whatever we did in the Broncos, Raiders, and Giants games needs to be flushed down the toilet.  I think we have a good team.  Those kinds of losses are unacceptable, if we have a good team.  

I think those games happen to young, inexperienced teams. In hindsight, great lessons to be learned from those games. Also, it insured Barry's exit so double bonus. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think those games happen to young, inexperienced teams. In hindsight, great lessons to be learned from those games. Also, it insured Barry's exit so double bonus. 

I don't think the Broncos or Raiders games hurt Barry at all.  It was the Giants and Bucs that sealed his fate.  

On 7/9/2024 at 9:49 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

This Vikings team has the make of one of those sneaky pull 10 wins out of their *** teams.  If they can get some luck with turnovers, they have an offense that should put up a lot of points.  I am waiting for a Case Keenum overachieving kind of season from them.  And everyone, Vikings fans included, are going to be saying, "how are they winning these games?" but there they will be, with a bunch of wins.

Not all too worried about the Vikings. Offense is going to win games they have no business winning and lose games they have no business losing. With an average OL and a mediocre QB will probably make them pretty inconsistent all season. Defense is pretty bad and I expect teams to have an easier time now that their is a ton of tape on Flores. Their depth is lacking as well so if the injury bug occurs I don't expect them to be talented enough to stay even average. I would bet best case scenario is 9-8 but I would bet the under on that.