Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The irking part for me isn’t that they didn’t choose to pay one single dude, it’s that they refuse to pay literally anyone.

The league needs a salary cap and a salary floor, and it will never happen.

And then they’re gonna cry about attendance (once people are allowed back)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The irking part for me isn’t that they didn’t choose to pay one single dude, it’s that they refuse to pay literally anyone.

I'll argue that they need a floor even more than they need a cap tbh. Owners who tank and salary dump while holding fanbases hostage for stadium leases and continue to sell even low attendance numbers, not to mention TV deals, merchandise, etc. are a lot bigger issue than teams who write ridiculous checks to pay for titles.

See:

The Marlins

The Indians

The Royals pre-World Series

The Expos/Nationals pre-new ownership

Throw in the fact that owners refuse to open their books and show the losses that they claim, which they shouldn't be allowed to do since the stadium lease is FUNDED BY TAXPAYERS, and that's all I'll say about that.

Someone do the 13% annual return compound interest calculator on $1 billion (conservatively a billion dollars) since 2013 over the last 7 years, and then you'll have Dolan's "losses".

@ramssuperbowl99 you're a nerd just like us. This seems like a job for you.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:
16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I'll argue that they need a floor even more than they need a cap tbh. Owners who tank and salary dump while holding fanbases hostage for stadium leases and continue to sell even low attendance numbers, not to mention TV deals, merchandise, etc. are a lot bigger issue than teams who write ridiculous checks to pay for titles.

See:

The Marlins

The Indians

Throw in the fact that owners refuse to open their books and show the losses that they claim, which they shouldn't be allowed to do since the stadium lease is FUNDED BY TAXPAYERS, and that's all I'll say about that.

Someone do the 13% annual return compound interest calculator on $1 billion (conservatively a billion dollars) since 2013 over the last 7 years, and then you'll have Dolan's "losses".

@ramssuperbowl99 @LETSGOBROWNIES

LOL, it wouldn't let me do 10 figures on this, so I had to do $999,999,999

Poor guy's only going to be worth $2.35+ billion doing that in 7 years. He probably can't afford that $120 million annual payroll they had back in 2016.

https://www.investor.gov/financial-tools-calculators/calculators/compound-interest-calculator

Total Savings in US Dollars
Years Variance Above (15.00%) Future Value (13.00%) Variance Below (11.00%)
Year 0 $999,999,999.00 $999,999,999.00 $999,999,999.00
Year 1 $1,149,999,998.85 $1,129,999,998.87 $1,109,999,998.89
Year 2 $1,322,499,998.68 $1,276,899,998.72 $1,232,099,998.77
Year 3 $1,520,874,998.48 $1,442,896,998.56 $1,367,630,998.63
Year 4 $1,749,006,248.25 $1,630,473,608.37 $1,518,070,408.48
Year 5 $2,011,357,185.49 $1,842,435,177.46 $1,685,058,153.41
Year 6 $2,313,060,763.31 $2,081,951,750.53 $1,870,414,550.29
Year 7 $2,660,019,877.81 $2,352,605,478.10 $2,076,160,150.82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

See:

The Marlins

The Indians

A few months ago Bill DeWitt (the CEO of the Cardinals) came out and said the Cardinals "haven't been that profitable" over the past 20 years. 

If you solely go by the value of the team, they made 11% compounded annually. That doesn't include a dime of actual cash flow, or the value of the financing they could get with a $2B asset. "Not that much".

These people aren't stupid, they're sociopaths. They'll lie to your face over and over again to rob you without regard for the consequences. The only thing they'll listen to is money, so vote with your wallet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

A few months ago Bill DeWitt (the CEO of the Cardinals) came out and said the Cardinals "haven't been that profitable" over the past 20 years. 

If you solely go by the value of the team, they made 11% compounded annually. That doesn't include a dime of actual cash flow, or the value of the financing they could get with a $2B asset. "Not that much".

These people aren't stupid, they're sociopaths. They'll lie to your face over and over again to rob you without regard for the consequences. The only thing they'll listen to is money, so vote with your wallet.

Dolan cares about the sentiment behind changing the team name.

*Pauses*

...next year. Because this year, it's okay to still turn a merchandizing profit and then cash in on rebranding for late 2021 and beyond.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, bruceb said:

Everything I am reading/hearing is saying that Bauers has the edge over Bradley for 1B.

Why?

Bauers is a stiff.

Why can't they just face up to that and give Bradley -- and the team -- a better chance to win by scoring runs?

Bradley has an option left.  Gotta win that AAA championship while you can.  

9 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Bradley has an option left.  Gotta win that AAA championship while you can.  

But Bauers is a stiff.

I have read about the option and also that Bauers has the edge because he is a veteran and plays slightly better D than Bradley, which makes no sense to me.

Unless we want to repeat last year and have top notch pitching and bottom third of the league O, we should see if Bradley can add some pop to the lineup.

Status be damned. Bauers is not a good baseball player

13 hours ago, bruceb said:

But Bauers is a stiff.

I have read about the option and also that Bauers has the edge because he is a veteran and plays slightly better D than Bradley, which makes no sense to me.

Unless we want to repeat last year and have top notch pitching and bottom third of the league O, we should see if Bradley can add some pop to the lineup.

Status be damned. Bauers is not a good baseball player

Are you still under the impression they’re concerned about winning games?

They’re running a business/talent development team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Are you still under the impression they’re concerned about winning games?

They’re running a business/talent development team.

"Talent Development"

tenor.gif?itemid=14732375

Poor Dolan

Guy is absolutely getting crushed with Covid/lack of attendance. Please ignore Forbes. He's getting killed out there.

b3uCqD.gif