Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

Guards have to look to make a splash before the trade deadline right?  Maybe another starter and another bat at shortstop or outfield?  I know we have been linked to Bo bichette if he is on the market (who I would love and the blue jays said already they wouldn’t trade him but I don’t believe organizations). 

any other names out there that could be options?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mchjstnk said:

Guards have to look to make a splash before the trade deadline right?  Maybe another starter and another bat at shortstop or outfield?  I know we have been linked to Bo bichette if he is on the market (who I would love and the blue jays said already they wouldn’t trade him but I don’t believe organizations). 

If we aren’t buyers this season before the deadline, I have no hope that we ever will be.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mchjstnk said:

There’s no chance in hell they trade for bichette. And if they do it’ll be a terrible move because there’s no chance they’d resign him after next year. 

On 6/6/2024 at 9:59 AM, NateDawg said:

If we aren’t buyers this season before the deadline, I have no hope that we ever will be.

Agreed. We've had too many guys pop off making us actual contenders to not move from some of our positions of depth (especially middle infield). Plus we've got one of Condon/Bazzana coming in the next year or two. 

Interesting Targets - 

The Angels - The whole team is probably available. I'm particularly interested in a depth starter (Anderson/Sandoval) plus Ward package. Jo Adell is an interesting "change of scenery" guy, especially if we go Bazzana over Condon.

Ryan McMahon - Is playing really well but doesn't really fit the team's timeline. Signed at a reasonable rate for a few years.

Jesus Luzardo - Dude flashes big time but has struggled with consistency. Has a couple arb years left.

Yusei Kikuchi/Jack Flaherty - Would be a rental, but is having a helluva season.

Houston - Gosh I love them sucking so much. I'd be into Framber Valdez/Jose Urquidy for pitching depth. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Ugh.....

Fry was pulled from the game yesterday because he felt a twinge in his elbow on a throw down to first......

MRI incoming, I am willing to bet on.

Just have him DH. That’s what shohei does. If it isn’t too terrible just let him swing the bat 

16 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Currently? Yes. But we don’t know if this is a hot streak. 

He’s already got more HRs this year than in either of his previous 2 seasons.

He’s easily the best pure hitter on our team.

19 hours ago, candyman93 said:
On 6/23/2024 at 7:25 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Currently? Yes. But we don’t know if this is a hot streak. 

He’s already got more HRs this year than in either of his previous 2 seasons.

He’s easily the best pure hitter on our team.

Only Scrabble can second guess a dude hitting .390 headed into the halfway mark. All hail King Scrabble.

Yv7K3nY.gif

I too am very interested to see if we do anything at the deadline. But I would be very wary of deadline deals.

Typically, the player you receive ends up being a half a season rental, and they cost you high level prospects that have shown the ability to be long term solid players at the ML level. But this is a special season so far, and these chances don't come by often.

I am now warming to the idea of dealing Kyle Manzardo for front line pitching. No, I haven't fallen off the wall and broke my head like Humpty Dumpty did. Here's why:

Manzardo has a very disciplined eye at the plate. In his time with the Guardians, he showed growth from an automatic strikeout to a disciplined hitter that drove the ball with authority into the alleys for doubles. The home runs that were missing will be a by product of the doubles swing - it was only going to be a matter of time.

I fail to understand why he was never given the opportunity to face left handers at the ML level. The ONLY way he is ever going to conquer that mountain is by being allowed to try.

Manzo lacks a twichy first step all successful infielders have. This basically eliminated him from infield play, as the only position he had experience at was 1B. And you are not removing Josh Naylor from his spot. Especially in a pennant chase.

If you want to entertain a switch to an outfield position - that must be done in spring training. So that ship has sailed for Kyle in 2024.

That left his opportunities at The Corner to DH. And we have plenty of other regular guys that can slot into DH'ing when they need a day off. Kyle is still a young power hitting prospect. But the one thing young prospects need to continue their development is regular, consistent ABs. Since those were drying up in Cleveland, he was sent to Cbus.

Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to keep Manzo and allow him to develop. We may lose Naylor to FA in a couple of years. But he probably offers the biggest chance to land a solid starter (Jack Flaherty?) in return so we don't squander this year's special team.

Edited by brooks1957