Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

5 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

WAR ruined the baseball forum.  You don't speak their language, and the whole group flocks to discredit you

@DawgX nailed it when he referred to that collective group as "pretentious D-Bags"

They know WAR language but don’t understand the significance of bullpen ERA whatsoever. Guess I’d have to be on their level to understand.

• Like 1

Nah, just because they are having a different discussion that doesn't translate if you're not in the know about modern baseball analytics doesn't make them dbags. 

The baseball forum is for baseball truthers, guys who that is their main sport (or close to it). Because of that, they're going to be discussing really advanced concepts a lot of the time and using stats that don't have a 1-1 correlation (ERA, RBI, etc.) to something that can be found in a box score. As a result, they are going to push back on people who want to talk with those types of stats as their primary basis for discussion. (I could be off-base with this, don't have time to read the whole 13 page thread in there, but this is my general experience in there.)

In summary, I think the baseball forum has the same amount of d-baggery as any other. I mean, for goodness sakes, have you seen how WE treat people who come in here ignorant of Browns stuff?

49 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I mean, for goodness sakes, have you seen how WE treat people who come in here ignorant of Browns stuff?

Or just a different opinion in general even if it’s a knowledge fellow Browns fan.

See: Every draft ever 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Nah, just because they are having a different discussion that doesn't translate if you're not in the know about modern baseball analytics doesn't make them dbags. 

The baseball forum is for baseball truthers, guys who that is their main sport (or close to it). Because of that, they're going to be discussing really advanced concepts a lot of the time and using stats that don't have a 1-1 correlation (ERA, RBI, etc.) to something that can be found in a box score. As a result, they are going to push back on people who want to talk with those types of stats as their primary basis for discussion. (I could be off-base with this, don't have time to read the whole 13 page thread in there, but this is my general experience in there.)

In summary, I think the baseball forum has the same amount of d-baggery as any other. I mean, for goodness sakes, have you seen how WE treat people who come in here ignorant of Browns stuff?

Agreed. We're all dbags.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Agreed. We're all dbags.

On the internet, yeah mostly. It's kind of like being drunk, you don't have that same filter you would have normally. That said, I'm not really any different. I'm older and didn't grow up with internet etiquette so I pretty much treat people like I do in person.

I will poke fun at you if I think you can take it. I'll point out something stupid that you did. I won't intentionally try to hurt your feelings or talk down to you like a lot of people seem to do on here, here being the www. I was run out of baseball chatrooms on webtv back in the day because I spoke a different baseball language so this isn't new that was like almost 20 years ago that they were talking about WAR and such.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

5/26 extension signed last year with a team option beyond that. He’d easily sign 5/100+ today. 

He needs to fire his agent. He should have never signed for that long. Even at the time he signed it he was really good and getting better. 

32 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He needs to fire his agent. He should have never signed for that long. Even at the time he signed it he was really good and getting better. 

Eh, he was coming off a nice season (.312, 11 hr, 76 RBI) and someone put a contract worth 50 million in his face having earned less than a million total thus far as a pro.

The 26 million base is enough to never have to worry about money again if he’s not an idiot and he’ll be a FA again before 30, if he doesn’t work out an extension that ups the final year or two of that deal in the mean time.

Hindsight being what it is obviously he left some money on the table, but I’m curious to see how many here would turn down 26 million guaranteed and opt for a few more seasons of 500k a year.