Foles vs. Wentz - what will the Eagles do??

KC_Guy

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

You've Lost your Mind if you think Carson Wentz in anyway shape or form should be the QB getting Traded. Like Koo Koo for Cocoa Puffs Type Crazy.

I understand that means getting #1 and #4 overall, as well as a plethora of 2nd round picks. I understand that, even as a Penn State fan, this would get us Barkley. I understand that this team has been dominant even with Nick Foles as our QB. But Carson is the backbone of this team, he's the glue. He is what brings them all together. Malcolm Jenkins is the leader of the defense, Carson is the leader of the team. He embodies us, who we are, our identity. I couldn't bare to part with him. I appreciate everything that Nick has done for us, but this is Carson's team and Nick deserves to be able to play where he desires next season, whether that continues to be in Philly backing up Wentz, or starting for a QB needy contender like Minnesota, Buffalo, Jackonville or Denver. It's nick choice to make if you ask me, but Wentz is THE guy.

1 hour ago, x0x said:

Do the posters citing Hostetler for jokes actually know what happened to the Giants after losing him?

Hoss wasn't as prolific as Foles yet had solid seasons and remains 0 INTs with QB starting 5 games or more in playoffs.

Foles got them first title in 57 years jacking it up. 373 yards and 3 TDs with MVP honors in the Super Bowl?

The joke here is unabashed faith in Wentz. Trade him for a bundle. The team is pretty loaded but I can only imagine they could use some improvement.

To Cleveland for both 1st this year, then their next four 2nd Rounders maybe.

éxactly comparing the two is stupid

hoss wasnt a good passer and giants won because of their defense....

foles went head to head with brady

34 minutes ago, jontat83 said:
6 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Wentz might be the best player in the NFL so probably keep him. 

Nonsense

My fellow compadre like me has not went to sleep yet. Probably meant to say something like.....

Wentz might be 1 of the 3 best QB in the NFL so probably keep him.

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

PHI is a team that is built to win for the next few years.   Having Wentz coming off the knee injury, Foles showed how important a high quality back up QB is to a teams potential Super Bowl run.  Foles is only set to make like $4M in 2018.  I think they might keep him as insurance with Wentz' injury.  Keeping Foles makes it easier to not rush Wentz back as he is the long term QB.  

Foles could be traded mid season after Wentz is fully recovered.  All comes down to how healthy Wentz in a few months and how much PHI wants to push for Wentz to get back for PS next season.  

I think you are right, they will wait to see how Wentz is before making any decisions and if Wentz is OK, I think they trade Foles for a solid Pick. 

Wentz is clearly the future.  If I'm the Eagles though, I'm not letting go of Foles.  What's the best they're going to get for him?  Wentz got injured very late.  To me, if you want to sustain success no matter what, you keep Foles in case Wentz can't start the season or gets hurt again.

28 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned:

Eagles currently have the least amount of cap space for 2018, currently they're about $4.6 million over the projected cap. Foles has a cap hit of $7.6 million.

He gone boys.

PHI would save a whopping $2.2M if they traded Foles.  They have other player cuts/trades that would help far more than Foles.

Nick Foles signed a 2 year, $11,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $7,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000. In 2018, Foles will earn a base salary of $4,000,000 and a roster bonus of $3,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,600,000 and a dead cap value of $5,400,000.

46 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned:

Eagles currently have the least amount of cap space for 2018, currently they're about $4.6 million over the projected cap. Foles has a cap hit of $7.6 million.

He gone boys.

Torrey Smith despite playing better in the playoffs, as well as Brent Celek are both probably gone. That's 9 Million gone from that alone. We could also potentially move on from Jason Peters, Vinny Curry to save a hefty sum.

If you don't think Wentz is in Philly for the rest of his career, you didn't watch him play this season. The kid is special, not because he put up numbers, not because he won us games, but because of how he did it. Wentz legit carried our team to 10 wins. He was our offense, and forced defenses to defend him which opened up the running game.

I love Nick Foles. Guy just won us a SB and will always be a legend in Philly, but our offense changed in the Post Season because Nick couldn't do what Carson was doing. Nick has some great traits for a QB: he is good in the pocket, he can make accurate throws down field, he knows how to find the open guy, and when he is on point he guy sling it with the best of them. That said, we have seen not so good Nick Foles in Philly, and not just this season. In 2014 before he got hurt, Foles did not look very good, and the majority of his  starts in the regular season this year were ugly. The offense was reworked completely between week 17 and the game vs ATL. Doug figured out how to get the most out of Nick via the RPO and getting guys like Alshon in 1v1's outside, and it worked. Nick was a beast, but I do worry if he can sustain that success once people figure out how to shut that game plan down(ala 2014).

At the end of the day Carson Wentz is the better QB, and is probably the most valuable player in the NFL outside of Aaron Rodgers trade value wise. There is no way the Eagles give up Wentz, it won't happen. That said, I hope we keep Foles unless we get offered some insane value for him like a first round pick. I do worry though that it would be a bad move for the franchise that would be willing to mortgage a high draft pick for Foles for reasons stated above.

That Eagles roster is stacked on both sides of the ball coupled with a diverse and somewhat fresh offensive coaching scheme. It should make people pause and wonder how good a particular piece is when everything clicked this season and the sum of its parts produced something magical.

Time and more evidence will tell.

Archived