2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

On 9/18/2018 at 12:53 PM, packfanfb said:

Would you pay 29-year old Thomas $10 million/year over the next 3 years instead of 25-year hold HHCD $7 million/year over the next 5? I would.

Ya know........the guy just lost the 2017 season to a broken leg and was late reporting to 2018 TC......
Has enough actual game time passed that you know he's not lost a step from the injury?

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ya know........the guy just lost the 2017 season to a broken leg and was late reporting to 2018 TC......
Has enough actual game time passed that you know he's not lost a step from the injury?

Given Thomas’s age and that awful broken leg, I suspect he isn’t the beast he used to be.  Guess the question is, what’s his leadership and on-field value really worth at this point?

If I'm Gute, I claim Pipkins and drop House.

I'd like to know what the rest of you think.  From a football perspective - what can House do that Pipkins can't?  Or vice versa.  

Please leave the "House is a seasoned vet" B.S. at the door.

19 minutes ago, Cheech said:

If I'm Gute, I claim Pipkins and drop House.

I'd like to know what the rest of you think.  From a football perspective - what can House do that Pipkins can't?  Or vice versa.  

Still like House. Just don't put him on the team's No. 1 without assigned help. Should be pretty simple. Pipkins gets wooped on that long TD to Diggs without safety help too.

On 9/22/2018 at 8:49 AM, Cheech said:

I think the whole concept that Pipkins is clearly better than House can be throw out.  You're essentially trading a guy whose a veteran and knows the scheme for a guy who might have some upside.  Colts aren't exactly deep at cornerback, and they threw him away.  There's really nothing there.  If we're going to move on from House, I'd rather take a flier on someone else.

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think the whole concept that Pipkins is clearly better than House can be throw out.  You're essentially trading a guy whose a veteran and knows the scheme for a guy who might have some upside.  Colts aren't exactly deep at cornerback, and they threw him away.  There's really nothing there.  If we're going to move on from House, I'd rather take a flier on someone else.

I was wondering about Pipkins as well. Not because of some innate talent he's shown - but more along the lines of I'm not sure House has the wheels for the game any longer. Now - it was one bad game from House - but the GBPs didnt exactly welcome him back with a huge contract......and BOTH the GBPs and now INDY have taken a pass on Pipkins. So its something of "offsetting penalties" :)

Bell has the best value of any trade candidate.  He cannot sign a long term deal due to the franchise tag, which drops his value SIGNIFICANTLY.  Trade a third round pick for him, let him sign somewhere else in the offseason and you just got that third round pick back the following year in compensatory pick consideration.

With Bell, we might not need a defense. 

58 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Bell has the best value of any trade candidate.  He cannot sign a long term deal due to the franchise tag, which drops his value SIGNIFICANTLY.  Trade a third round pick for him, let him sign somewhere else in the offseason and you just got that third round pick back the following year in compensatory pick consideration.

I'm not totally sure we'd get a comp pick for him, I think there's some grey area that hasn't come up.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm not totally sure we'd get a comp pick for him, I think there's some grey area that hasn't come up.

More like a green area. Dude's probably going to fail a drug test for weed once he comes back IF he comes back.

Also, a RB isn't going to solve our problems...

14 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

How would his 2018 salary fit on GB's cap?

From everything I've read, it sounds like Wilkerson is out for the season. Still waiting for more information on Bulaga, but backs are tricky. Also McCray's shoulder. McCray is not so concerning. I've been worried about his feet from the beginning. Yesterday he was getting beat badly at times. He at least is replaceable with Patrick or Bell. And watching Brice's growing pains is, well, painful. (I still think Brice will develop, but how long to wait?)

Bottom line, it's time to make some moves. Don't the Packers usually save some salary cap for in-season emergencies?

Move 1: Sign Eric Reid! This move wouldn't cost any draft capital and would plug a hole in the secondary. By now the word around the NFL must be that you can throw deep on GB's defense. Reid would help plug that hole. Now.

Move 2: I'm out of ideas. Help!

As versatile as Bell is - he’s a freak in every way and Pittsburgh uses him extensively and on nearly offensive down - he probably can’t play safety or rush the passer.  Or maybe he can - he’s a great athlete.  He can block, catch, run, and command respect from the linebackers.  Would love to have him but we need dudes on defense who can cover, tackle, and unleash unholy terror on QB’s (only to pull up at the last second and lightly tap them on the shoulder and say “boo - your it”).

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Bell isn't going to pay in Pitt without  a long term contract, why would he anywhere else without one?

Bell being traded and signing a long-term deal isn't easy to accomplish, but it is possible.

Archived