2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

So you still have the corner fever and can't shake it, 'all this is good and all but it doesn't solve the corners'.  A quick look at some of Pettine's defenses shows that he doesn't need 4 all pro cornerbacks, looks like he has had plenty of success with some less than stellar talent at the position. Obviously with the Jets he had Revis and Cro, but look at his other teams. The talent looks pretty weak. We might be alright with King and some rookies, add in House and/or a similar vet FA and might even end up with better corners than some of those teams. Some might argue other pieces of his defenses were far better or something, fair enough I guess but would be interesting debate - especially after the draft. Also definitely possible I undervalued some of the corners on his teams. 

The talent on his other teams look pretty weak? He had Joe Haden during his time in Cleveland. He signed Donte Whitner to help that secondary. He signed Karlos Dansby. He already had Tashaun Gipson. Buster Skrine wasn't a bad CB. 

Their secondary had 3 Pro Bowlers in 2014.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Charles Woodson won DPOY at 33 after being called the exact same thing when we signed him. Hadn't played a 16 game season since 2001 yet played in every game but 3 for us in his first 6 years. The human body doesn't break down at 30, I don't care what Madden tells you. Graham is a freak, and is still a freak. You need to utilize players properly to have them succeed. You can't keep spewing that Jordy is still the same guy but Hundley held him back and then turn around and say that Graham is old and broken, it's a total contradiction. 

Come on.  No where did I say Jordy was the same guy that he was in his prime.  That is a fabrication that doesn't hold an ounce of truth. 

I'm pretty sure that Graham played 100% of his season with his all pro caliber QB yet still failed to be anything more than a possession caliber TE. He struggled to get open, offered very little in regards to stretching the field and was often rendered useless when he wasn't in the red zone.  In comparison to Nelson , who lead his team in both yards  per game and TDs prior to the AR12 injury.  I find it crazy that you expect people to swallow a pl;plethora of excuses for Graham miserable season yet want to blame all of Jordy's struggles on his body breaking down  and not terrible play from the QB. 

Jimmy Graham isn't 30.  He's going on 32 and he's been beat the hell up the last 2 years with a couple major injuries.  He surely didn't' look or play like a freak last year. I don't care about what Woodson did or what John Madden says about the human body.  Jimmy Graham was a mediocre TE last year, you are welcome to ignore his season and make excuses but don't attack me because I don't think he's the guy he was 4 years ago. 

His production last year speaks for itself.  In over half the games on the season he was a 3 catch or less TE.  In 4 games he had only 1 catch or less.  Now, coming off a terrible season, he's the highest paid player in the NFL at his position. 

I get it though.  One is now a new Packer and the other is a former Packer.  Its easier to ignore the faults and make excuses when a guy is coming in and trash a guy when he's going out. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I'm tellin' ya. Do this Cockrell guy off the NYGs.

I dont even know the guy. Saw some videos (looked good) - looked at his stats (they're as good if not better than DR) - he'd be cheaper (so we can turn some of that cash into more players).

Cockrell's the buy guys :D

I like this next batch of free agents...mid to low tier guys with some upside that shouldn't cost a ton.  As you said about Brice, if a move like that is made at WR, then the other WR's better buckle their chinstraps and improve, or he will pass them by.

Same thing with Cockrell.  I have no issue grabbing two or three guys like him and letting them carve out a career in Green Bay.  Competition will make them all better.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Did you watch many SEA games? Wilson's first read every play was, "who's the free rusher?". Pretty hard to judge any of their offensive pieces off of that, especially when Russ' first move is to scramble not the dump off. His value held in the RZ though where he was quite productive.  He's a clear upgrade to our TE room to what we've had the past bunch of years. Having a rookie starting at TE is basically out of the equation, name many rookies who have came in and produced at the position. CB, while definitely being the bigger need is a little easier to throw rookies into. 

While his 2017 season looked a lot like what we'd get from Richard Rogers if he was the starter in regards to catches and yards he surely is an upgrade over our TEs.  I'm not buying the laundry list of excuses for him though.  He didn't look like the all world, unstoppable "freak" some are making him out to be.  I did watch a lot of Seattle's games last year and Graham looked beat to hell IMO.  I don't t believe he's the guy he was 4 years ago.... Hopefully I'm wrong as our offense BADLY needs him to a great season. 

Archived