2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Ya know, I haven't seen this name floated around here this season, and understandably so due to PEDs. But everyone knows we are thin at MLB.

Brian Cushing?

I seriously thought he was out of the league until you mentioned him.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I seriously thought he was out of the league until you mentioned him.

Yeah, someone posted a pic of him in the news section.

I had to check but Houston released him in February. Missed 10 games due to PEDs. That means hes on his last strike right?

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Yeah, someone posted a pic of him in the news section.

I had to check but Houston released him in February. Missed 10 games due to PEDs. That means hes on his last strike right?

Just going from my memory, that's two.  And I could easily be wrong and it is more than that.

I think he's been banged up quite a bit, too.  

I wouldn't mind him in camp, but I doubt that he would want to be just a camp body.  And honestly, I'd rather draft a kid in the later rounds and develop him....  A draftee would offer more in the way of special teams than Cushing probably would (or want to).

Okay just a hypothetical, would you cut a receiver who has a cap number of $12m (dead cap of $3.5m), whose last 1,000 yard season was in 2014 and replace him with another receiver whose last 1,000 yard season was in 2014 but who is 6ft 2 and 220 and can play the perimeter, while the former is 5ft 10 and 190 and only really plays the slot...?

21 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Okay just a hypothetical, would you cut a receiver who has a cap number of $12m (dead cap of $3.5m), whose last 1,000 yard season was in 2014 and replace him with another receiver whose last 1,000 yard season was in 2014 but who is 6ft 2 and 220 and can play the perimeter, while the former is 5ft 10 and 190 and only really plays the slot...?

Is there a way we can have both? 

Sure we can. I’m more making the point that we complain Dez aint done squat since 2014 and we have a player on our roster that costs just as much and has also has done squat since 2014.

Personally a team with Adams, Dez, Randall and Jimmy would be up there with the recievers we had in 2010.

9 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Sure we can. I’m more making the point that we complain Dez aint done squat since 2014 and we have a player on our roster that costs just as much and has also has done squat since 2014.

Personally a team with Adams, Dez, Randall and Jimmy would be up there with the recievers we had in 2010.

Yeah I mean by stats they're very similiar

Dez:

Receptions-150

Yards-2035

TDs-17

------------------------------

Cobb:

Receptions-205

Yards-2092

TDs-14

So by default you'd probably want Dez, bigger and can play outside. Cobb might have better hands though, so you can make a case there. You just hope Dez isn't a problem in the locker room, though a change of scenery + not having to live up to playing in dallas, he might behave more here.

4 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Yeah I mean by stats they're very similiar

Dez:

Receptions-150

Yards-2035

TDs-17

------------------------------

Cobb:

Receptions-205

Yards-2092

TDs-14

So by default you'd probably want Dez, bigger and can play outside. Cobb might have better hands though, so you can make a case there. You just hope Dez isn't a problem in the locker room, though a change of scenery + not having to live up to playing in dallas, he might behave more here.

I mean the only difference is Dez's attitude versus Cobb where you for sure lean Cobb but otherwise there simply is no comparison. I'd take Bryant over Cobb 7 days of the week. Cobb is grossly overpaid and can't do the things Dez can do. Having Dez on the field opposite Davante with Graham in the middle would make us virtually unstoppable. 

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I think some are confusing 2018 Dez with 2014 Dez, but I can agree with the general idea that swapping Dez for Cobb would be an upgrade for the offense.

Except Cobb is a consummate professional and Bryant just ran his coaches through the mud.  Anybody who said that about Randall cannot want Bryant.  Against the rules of not being a hypocrite. 

If Dez is willing to take a one year deal, I'm interested. Everything in year one is always peachy keen (unless Aaron gets hurt). Dez can put up big numbers, make us a better team and then cash in for his last long term deal and get us a 4th round comp. If he wants his next long term deal right away, I sure as hell am not giving it to him.

Archived