2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

33 minutes ago, Apex said:

Is it out of the realm of possibility that they can get Dez and keep Cobb?  Adams, Dez and Cobb, not to mention Graham at TE?  Not sure who they would have to cut to make that happen, Bulaga perhaps. Or Aaron restructuring  as was pointed out earlier.

How about we just tell Cobb we aren't paying him 12 freaking million this year. We need to restructure him.

57 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

So get rid of a good WR on a hunch that a nearly 30 year old WR  “ gets his groove back” when he really hasn’t been good since 2014? Seems like a smart move.

Cobb hasn't had a groove in like 5 years too, so let's not act like he's some stud.

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

How about we just tell Cobb we aren't paying him 12 freaking million this year. We need to restructure him.

No need to push money into another year, and you're probably not finding a more efficient use of 12m at this point. 

Let's not get too carried away with the "never played with Rodgers" statement. I remember a stretch not too long ago when not even Rodgers could make something out of nothing. Throwing guys open is not supposed to be an every down thing. I haven't seen the tape but my guess is Bryant probably isn't too far off from where Jordy is.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The fact that people are comparing 2018 Dez to 2018 Jordy is astounding. Jordy literally fell off the face of the Earth when Rodgers got hurt. He's done. Dez has never played with a QB like Rodgers and vice versa.

Hundley didn't help.

screen-shot-2017-11-06-at-5-53-56-pm.png

Guy had his first quote unquote lousy year in his career, he had an amazing year before that after tearing his acl, gotta give him the benefit of the doubt there. 

Regardless of cutting Cobb or not, getting Dez would be a great idea. I mean we were the last two in the Robinson hunt and he got 14m a year yet he has only had one, repeat one 1000 yard season and that was in 2015, and he was coming of an ACL. Dez has had three 1,000 yard seasons. Yes he is 29 but he had Dink and Dunk Dak throwing him last two years and an injury prior that. What we are reacting to is not production and the potential it is solely Dez the man.

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Signing a guy to a 1 year deal is pretty much the same as carrying cap over, you just can't use it during the season, but it comes available to you 12 months later.

I keep reading this and unless I'm missing something, it's not true at all. Let's analyze it with a simple scenario: cap is 150M, we have 52 players for 140M that are signed through 2020.

• If we don't sign a player: 2018 we spend 140M out of 150M so we carry 10M to 2019. In 2019 we could actually spend 160M even though the cap is 150M (20M for FAs).
  • If we sign a player for one year 10M: 2018 we spend 150M out of 150M so we carry 0 to 2019. In 2019 we're back to 140M, so we have 10M left for FAs.

Essentially you have to measure cap space as money not spent over X years (in this example, anything under 300M over these two years is the available cap for 2019). If you spend it one year, you don't have it available the next.

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Regardless of cutting Cobb or not, getting Dez would be a great idea. I mean we were the last two in the Robinson hunt and he got 14m a year yet he has only had one, repeat one 1000 yard season and that was in 2015, and he was coming of an ACL. Dez has had three 1,000 yard seasons. Yes he is 29 but he had Dink and Dunk Dak throwing him last two years and an injury prior that. What we are reacting to is not production and the potential it is solely Dez the man.

No it's not a great idea. Different story for a younger guy who you think isn't physically declining. Dez is losing a step, was never a technician, and isn't worth any potential headaches.

Didn't look like Dez has much left in the tank from what I've seen of Cowboys games especially last season.

No harm bringing him in I guess to take a good look, wouldn't sign him to a long term deal. Think you are looking at a short term deal to prove he can still produce.

Tires are looking pretty close to bare on Dez. Wasn't a burner in the first place and certainly was not looking very threatening deep last year.

Dez has a place in the league for a few more years as a big bodied physical guy, primarily in the slot. He's still big, strong, and can jump, which really isn't going to ever go away, but you're going to need a QB who doesn't mind working smaller windows with him because he certainly isn't going to be running away from anybody. Late stage Anquan Boldin is the game that comes to mind, but I don't love the comp. Boldin was better at reading it, and Dez will always be better physically. He's not Fitz, he's not Jordy. Best comp is probably 35+ Owens after I put some thought into it. 

Problem is what do you do with Cobb at that point. I'm developing a growing distaste for slot only guys. 

EDIT: Just looked up the stats, always forget how much of a monster Owens was. 1000yard/10 TD season at 35 is insane. 1350/15 at 34, leading the league in TDs at 33. First ballot guy if I ever saw one, committee is a bunch of morons. 

The fact that Jordan Matthews signed for such a tiny deal with New England makes me feel better about not signing him honestly.  People always think that the Patriots never make any wrong moves in free agency or trades, but Belichick has made plenty of moves that just flat out don't work out.  With these smaller free agent signings, I'd say he's even on them being hit or miss.  People acted like Belichick robbed the Panthers blind when he moved from the third to the fourth round and acquired Kony Ealy. 

I know I'm late to comment on this, but I just thought it. 

Archived