Raiders parting ways with K Janikowski

I <3 Faulk

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't see why not if he can still kick. He missed all last year, so don't know where he stands with all that. Bit if he can kick, there are teams that can use him. He can't be worse than what Tampa Bay has been throwing out there 

How would THAT  be for some career arch irony?

On 2/14/2018 at 9:24 PM, Forge said:

Still....there have been many a first round pick that have given less value then the raiders got from him. 

After the Bears drafted Urlacher in 2000, the Bears have only drafted 6 players in the first I would take over Janikowski. Four of those were in the last 5 years.

Of course it is in retrospect, but that is still a pretty crazy point.

Remember when he date raped himself?

The good olé days.

Fattykowski turned out better than all of us thought at the time. 18 year productive starter is amazing at any position.

But seriously google it. Dude date raped himself.  It's worth a laugh

Wow, I don’t understand the Jano hate. He was picked in the first (he didn’t ask for that), but was easily the best part of that team for over a decade while most teams struggle to find a long term answer at that position because they are cheap. Sounds like bitterness to me. 

6 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

One of the most overrated players of his generation. A 1st round pick for an average to slightly above average kicker 

Well, one thing: Sea Bass has entered the pantheon of Placekickers With The Longest NFL Careers!

Image result for George Blanda kicking6-Gary-Anderson5-Ben-Agajanian2-Morten-AndersenImage result for Roberto Aguayo

It seems that the kickers of now are much better than the last generation.

I looked at the Top 157 kickers of all time in terms of career FG%

25 of the Top 50 are active. This includes the Top 5, 7 of the Top 10, and 11 of the Top 15.

Many others in the Top 50 are guys that became inactive/retired within the past few years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

On 2/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, freak_of_nature said:

It seems that the kickers of now are much better than the last generation.

I looked at the Top 157 kickers of all time in terms of career FG%

25 of the Top 50 are active. This includes the Top 5, 7 of the Top 10, and 11 of the Top 15.

Many others in the Top 50 are guys that became inactive/retired within the past few years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

Sports across the board are more professional than they've ever been, and are always improving in that regard. Practice routines and nutrition always improving is going to result in the current generation being stronger than the last for the average NFL player, basically. There might be freaks of nature ;) who go against that trend in certain generations, but as an average, it makes sense that current players are more productive than retired ones were.

there was a 2 year stretch where he was actually a great kicker, 2010-2011. in those 2 years he made 64/76 kicks, an 84% clip. i know that's nothing amazing, but 6 of those 12 misses were from 50+ (11-17 from 50+), and he only missed 1 from under 40 in those two years.

other than that he was a maybe slightly above average kicker, but he was consistent. the raiders never really had to consider changing their kicker throughout his career, which is more than a lot of teams can say. overall his career is pretty much in line with a guy like jason hanson.

but yeah, giorgio tavecchio has been a camp/preseason leg for us for a few years, kicked well there. looked decent enough last year. rather than riding seabass for another couple of seasons and having to start from scratch (which looks like a scary endeavor looking at the insane turnover around the league with kickers), giorgio looked good enough to be the guy, even if janikowski would be a bit better for a year or two (provided his back is fine). basically what happened with marquette king taking over for shane lechler (though King is a better punter than Giorgio is a kicker)

i hope he does well somewhere in the NFC

Archived