Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

5 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

There are a slew of Mohammad Sanu and Jarius Wright types in this class. Iow 2's and 3's that could be more productive than CC, which is precisely what the team needs.

Only thing holding CC back is these freak hand injuries. If he doesn’t get hurt, he prolly has at least a decent season. Him and Kizer had a nice connection going on through camp and preseason 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Aren’t 2nd and 3rd rounders quality?  I think Sashi has spoiled some folks if you think those are throw away picks...

And do we have to use all of those picks to draft players? Can’t we trade for vets or move the picks for future years?

If I could have my #1 QB, RB, and WR.....and these guys are pretty consistently considered the best at their position in the draft....then I don't feel that giving up those picks are gonna upset me all that much. 

Could 1 or all 3 of them bust?  Sure

I will take my chances.

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

If I could have my #1 QB, RB, and WR.....and these guys are pretty consistently considered the best at their position in the draft....then I don't feel that giving up those picks are gonna upset me all that much. 

As it applies to WR, "best at their position" doesn't mean bupkis unless that means elite, and in this case it doesn't.

And to so way overpay?

No way.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How often does a team go 3/3 on picks?

2017 Tanoh Kpassagnon

2016 Chris Jones

2015 Mitch Morse

While still early, I think Dorsey is 3/3 on his 2nd round picks. It's too early for Tanoh, but he has the tools and he improved quite a bit as the year went on.

If I were the Browns, I'd want to keep all 3 of those picks and use them or trade back.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

2017 Tanoh Kpassagnon

2016 Chris Jones

2015 Mitch Morse

While still early, I think Dorsey is 3/3 on his 2nd round picks. It's too early for Tanoh, but he has the tools and he improved quite a bit as the year went on.

If I were the Browns, I'd want to keep all 3 of those picks and use them or trade back.

I love this comment. The second round is gonna be great value in this draft. Picks 64 and 65 match nicely with the end of the top tier players available at tight end, free safety, center, defensive tackle and running back. Some of those are more positions of need than others, but at that point there may be a bpa pick if they really like a player and see him as being rated much higher as a talent.

I'd like to grab a center if one of Frank Ragnow, James Daniels or Mason Cole is sitting there. I see Billy Price and Isaiah Wynn as the only for sure center prospects to be gone before then. Not everyone agrees that wee need a center, though, of course. If we go for a free safety in the draft, 64/65 may be the ideal time to grab one as well.  

16 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

On the old NFL draft value chart #18 is worth 900. Whereas #33 #37 and #64 are 580, 530, and 270 respectively. That would put us at 1280. That is 10-13 range. Now not saying I would trade away 3 2nd rounders for a first. I feel that would be a rip off. Especially if we traded them for one of the WRs in this draft. We could easily stay at #33 and get Kirk Washington, Cortland Sutton, etc. Only way I would make this trade is if our #1 left tackle somehow dropped out of the top 10 and we could replace Joe Thomas (if he retired). 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Yes, you are right, this trade would be unacceptable based on those figures. I suspect they may trade 37 and 64 to move up, as I feel this is a rather mediocre draft, but I am pretty sure we can get a very decent WR prospect at 33, so I would only trade up back into round 1 for a CB or a LT if we ever got extremely lucky which I doubt, to find a decent LT prospect available!

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

2017 Tanoh Kpassagnon

2016 Chris Jones

2015 Mitch Morse

Choosing 3 picks over 3 years is in no way what we were talking about. I was referrring to 3 consecutive picks in the same year.

But yes, I agree, keep the picks or trade back.

14 hours ago, buno67 said:

Only thing holding CC back is these freak hand injuries. If he doesn’t get hurt, he prolly has at least a decent season. Him and Kizer had a nice connection going on through camp and preseason 

Holding him back from what?

He's not as fast as expected, doesn't routinely get separation, doesn't get yac as expected and has the same inconsistent hands he had at Baylor. Hasn't played slot and he's clearly not a 1 or 2 outside WR. And that's on top of the hand injuries.

7 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Why don't people like Christian Kirk? He might be my favorite WR in this class. 

Personally I don't love him because when I watched A&M games (last year more than this year I admit), and watched the WR play, one wide receiver ABSOLUTELY stood out to me play after play and I thought was the best on the team.  It was Josh Reynolds.  He was taken in the 4th round.  It may be bias but that's why I don't like him as much.  I would rather Have D.J. Moore, James Washington, Equanimeous St. Brown etc (to name a few) if it were me.  (this is assuming Calvin Ridley and Courtland Sutton are already gone)

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

Holding him back from what?

He's not as fast as expected, doesn't routinely get separation, doesn't get yac as expected and has the same inconsistent hands he had at Baylor. Hasn't played slot and he's clearly not a 1 or 2 outside WR. And that's on top of the hand injuries.

He hasn't ripped a guy's heart out of his chest and watched him die yet so, fail.

I heard we could move Shelton, I like him a lot but two things 

A) I don't know if we would be willing to pay him the money he would be asking for

B) We have too many 1 tech/0 tech bodies (Good) it wouldn't make sense to pay him when you have guys who can do the same on rookie contracts. We need more traditional athletic 3 tech bodies.

FA:

David Irving (underrated freak),  Dominique Easley (pending medicals)

Draft:

RJ Mcintosh, Andrew Brown, Nathan Shepherd, PJ Hall

8 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I love this comment. The second round is gonna be great value in this draft. Picks 64 and 65 match nicely with the end of the top tier players available at tight end, free safety, center, defensive tackle and running back. Some of those are more positions of need than others, but at that point there may be a bpa pick if they really like a player and see him as being rated much higher as a talent.

I'd like to grab a center if one of Frank Ragnow, James Daniels or Mason Cole is sitting there. I see Billy Price and Isaiah Wynn as the only for sure center prospects to be gone before then. Not everyone agrees that wee need a center, though, of course. If we go for a free safety in the draft, 64/65 may be the ideal time to grab one as well.  

I really want Price. I think he’s going to be a dominant center in the nfl. Tretter scares me so if we drafted one I’d be ok with it. 

Archived