#Jaguars LT Branden Albert is retiring.

Farsendor1

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Comes off rather.. low by Albert. If I'm a Jags fan, I wouldn't want him near my squad after this silliness.

I don't, and based on reports he won't be.

He looked old, slow, and done in the few workouts he attended. I don't see how letting him come back after taking time off in the offseason AND now in training camp will help the team at all. How can a guy be a leader when Albert has done what he's done? It'd just be bad for everyone except for Albert (who I think is just having second thoughts because of the $$$ ordeal he's in with the bonus, etc.).

5 hours ago, Jlash said:

He's got leverage?

Yes, yes he did. Which is how he got the Jags to decline his services and why he presumably gets to keep his signing bonus. He never wanted back, but he forced the Jags hand by saying he wanted to return.

3 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yes, yes he did. Which is how he got the Jags to decline his services and why he presumably gets to keep his signing bonus. He never wanted back, but he forced the Jags hand by saying he wanted to return.

?

He is gonna have to pay that 3.4 million. 

4 hours ago, titans0021 said:

How so? He’s on the retired list and won’t be removed. How does the procedure of saying “I want back, but am staying on the retired list” change that? 

26 minutes ago, iPwn said:

How so? He’s on the retired list and won’t be removed. How does the procedure of saying “I want back, but am staying on the retired list” change that? 

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

?

He is gonna have to pay that 3.4 million. 

You guys really think that he said he was coming back, then met with the team and agreed to be put on the retired list, and is now going to still pay back the $3.4 million? I'd be stunned if that's the case.

He said he was coming back for a reason. And it wasn't because he desperately wanted to play football for the Jaguars.

22 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

You guys really think that he said he was coming back, then met with the team and agreed to be put on the retired list, and is now going to still pay back the $3.4 million? I'd be stunned if that's the case.

He said he was coming back for a reason. And it wasn't because he desperately wanted to play football for the Jaguars.

http://wp.me/p14QSB-am5U

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Would that $3.4M even count toward Jacksonville's cap since they didn't pay it in the first place? It doesn't make sense if it does. And it's kind of a Richard move to try and recover $3.4M they didn't spend.

The signing bonus gets paid out up front, but can be prorated against the cap for the length of the contract. The $3.4M remaining counts against the Jaguars as dead cap if he’s not retired.

Through profit sharing in the NFL, it really doesn’t matter who paid the money for the contract, it all ultimately comes from the same pool and goes towards the same pool of players.

I’d argue it’s more unfair that Miami could recoup it and give it to other players, but the Jags couldn’t. That’s money that effectively (through the salary cap and floor) belongs to players who actually had the intention of playing out their contracts.

42 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I read this and feel pretty confident that it means that they struck some sort of settlement in the meeting. With the possibility that it could be addressed at a later date if he wants to try to play football again for a team other than the Jaguars.

Mainly because of this:

By rule, he can unretire at any time, and the team would have to decide whether to reinstate him to the active roster, trade him, or cut him. 

Now, if he decides he wants to come back, things get foggy. But I severely doubt that he said he was unretiring, met with the team, and then decided to agree to be put on the list while still being required to pay back $3.4 million.

And this part is just Florio's opinion, which I typically don't weigh any heavier than your average FF poster's tbh.

As it now stands, he owes them $3.4 million. If/when he shows up, the Jaguars will have a persuasive argument to make that he still owes the money, unless they reinstate him to the active roster. Which, based on the decision to put him on the reserve/retired list, they don’t seem to be inclined to do.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I read this and feel pretty confident that it means that they struck some sort of settlement in the meeting. With the possibility that it could be addressed at a later date if he wants to try to play football again for a team other than the Jaguars.

Mainly because of this:

Now, if he decides he wants to come back, things get foggy. But I severely doubt that he said he was unretiring, met with the team, and then decided to agree to be put on the list while still being required to pay back $3.4 million.

And this part is just Florio's opinion, which I typically don't weigh any heavier than your average FF poster's tbh.

Or that’s why he agreed to it.

38 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Or that’s why he agreed to it.

Yeah, except he could have just forced their hand by actually unretiring. If they're forcing him to pay back $3.4 million due to the clause Florio mentioned, there's absolutely no reason for him to sign off on staying retired period. At the very least, he'd make the Jaguars attempt to win a legal battle while citing a vague rules clause and even if they won, by doing so, they'd have to release him to recoup the money anyways.

The reserve/left team designation really only matters in the sense that it's treated similarly to a holdout. So I guess, in theory, if he returned, he could have been fined for the days of camp he missed. Other than that, I'm not even entirely sure what the above tweet means. If he came out of retirement, the list he is on simply isn't very important. Because the Jaguars can't hold the guy hostage, if he showed back up, they'd have to choose between cutting ties or putting him back on the active roster. You can't just tell the guy he's retired and continue to hold his rights if he wants to resume playing. You can cut him. You can bench him. You can play him. But you can't force him to pay you money while not allowing him to play football.

Beyond that, I really struggle to see the Jaguars winning with this clause anyways:

“If the player returns to play for the Club in the subsequent season, then the Club must either (a) take the player back under his existing contract with no forfeiture of the remaining Forfeitable Salary Allocations, or (b) release the player and seek repayment of any remaining Forfeitable Salary Allocations for future League Years.”

It literally says subsequent season in the clause. Which would make a very tough battle, given that we're definitely not in a subsequent season right now. So good luck collecting on an entire signing bonus if there's not a specific rule that indicates that you're entitled to it if the player returns in the same season, let alone after a week.

So basically, if tomorrow he decides to come out of retirement, I wish the Jaguars the best of luck in trying to recoup $3.4 million. If there was no settlement or agreement where at least a portion of the signing bonus was waived, the Jags made a really terrible move by switching lists. Because on reserve/left team, they can fine him for missing camp and, in a worst-case where they lose the legal battle, are still entitled to recouping 15% of his signing bonus. If you really think that they plan on forcing Albert to pay back $3.4 million, they only damaged their leverage by making this move.

Archived