#Jaguars LT Branden Albert is retiring.

Farsendor1

This is the beginning of the end IMO. Last thing Bortles needs is his starting left tackle gone. When healthy, Albert is a good player. I can't think of anyone who'll replace him on the jaguars roster. Being more pressured for an already shaky qb is the last thing needed.

Caldwell has put together a decent roster, but has been missing for too long on boom players despite picking in the top 5 and deserves a massive L for his part in extending bortles, etc.

I actually think if the Jaguars draft a franchise left tackle in next years draft and are able to sign someone like Alex Smith, Sam Bradford/Teddy Bridgewater, or somehow Cousins, they could actually be a pretty good team. That being said, I'm not sure if that happens under this regime at this rate.

Whoa, this wasn't what I was expecting. Knew there was a contract dispute, but that was the extent of it.

Cam Robinson was the 2nd round selection this past draft - do they play him at LT? Can't see that as a good choice...

10 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Whoa, this wasn't what I was expecting. Knew there was a contract dispute, but that was the extent of it.

Cam Robinson was the 2nd round selection this past draft - do they play him at LT? Can't see that as a good choice...

Wasn’t even a contract dispute. He sat out because he didn’t want to go to voluntary workouts. Because...well...he wasn’t sure he was coming back.

They’ve said all along that Cam was a LT only and that they had no plans to play him elsewhere. He’s only gotten reps at LT too. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I actually think if the Jaguars draft a franchise left tackle in next years draft and are able to sign someone like Alex Smith, Sam Bradford/Teddy Bridgewater, or somehow Cousins, they could actually be a pretty good team. That being said, I'm not sure if that happens under this regime at this rate.

I would be very surprised if Cousins signed with Jacksonville. He's got two former offensive coordinators as new head coaches, one of whom coaches a team that desperately needs a QB. Besides, I don't think he wants to sign somewhere that needs to find a franchise left tackle if he leaves a team that already has one.

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

deserves a massive L for his part in extending bortles

You mean the non-guaranteed year they can decide not to pay him for if they want to? Caldwell has a lot of blame to be placed on him. Giving himself the ability to negotiate without having to use a tag should Bortles become good (especially when that tag would likely need to be used on one of Robinson or Telvin) is not one of those things. If he’s not good, they cut him with no additional risk. Win-win

Just now, iPwn said:

You mean the non-guaranteed year they can decide not to pay him for if they want to? Caldwell has a lot of blame to be placed on him. Giving himself the ability to negotiate without having to use a tag should Bortles become good (especially when that tag would likely need to be used on one of Robinson or Telvin) is not one of those things. If he’s not good, they cut him with no additional risk. Win-win

Is it really non-guaranteed? That's a big miss on my part then. I always assumed 5th years are guaranteed and that's generally why teams don't pick them up when their players are underwhelming.

The other miss is that I blanked on the Jaguars drafting Cam Robinson. I'm actually really high on Cam Robinson and I was campaigning for the Raiders to draft him in the first for a while. That being said, it's hard to start at left tackle in the NFL as a rookie, but it'll definitely help.

If Bortles is good, I'll probably have to eat a shoe or something. Not that he can't be, but kinda have always wanted to tbh.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Is it really non-guaranteed? That's a big miss on my part then. I always assumed 5th years are guaranteed and that's generally why teams don't pick them up when their players are underwhelming.

It’s injury protected, but that’s it. If he’s bad, they pull the plug on him, have him sit out the remainder of the year, and that’s it. I guess it’s a risk with a rookie LT,  but the rate that big QBs like him go down for the season is really low. Other positions where injuries are a lot more prevalent is typically where the risk comes in on those 5th years.

38 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

TIL the sky is falling.

This is what happens though if you were wondering what any self-respecting offensive lineman does when they get beat by Fowler twice in a padded practice.

I love jags fans. You guys have no chill. This is sig worthy btw xD

Archived