Bears Offseason Tracker

WindyCity

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Yep...apparently max value of $2.5 million but very incentive laden.

Yeah - seems to me he’s a worst case scenario first bench guy as a boundary corner. He’s still having to earn his roster spot. As of today he’s nothing more than a camp body. I’m fine with that. 

I think Pace should have put a second round tender on Meredith.  Becoming clear a lot of other teams are interested and he is going to become real expensive.   More than a second round tender would cost.  That way if you didnt want to match a big offer you can still get a second round pick.  Probably would have kept any team from driving up price in first place and you could have kept him at a better rate.

Maybe he couldnt because you only get one to use? 

In any event Original round tender basically made him an unrestricted free agent since that is no threat draft compensation wise.

Real chance Meredith, who everybody assumed was coming back, is going to leave.

Other teams can drive up price for fun too.  Kind of a game of chicken.

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think Pace should have put a second round tender on Meredith.  Becoming clear a lot of other teams are interested and he is going to become real expensive.   More than a second round tender would cost.  That way if you didnt want to match a big offer you can still get a second round pick.  Probably would have kept any team from driving up price in first place and you could have kept him at a better rate.

Maybe he couldnt because you only get one to use? 

In any event Original round tender basically made him an unrestricted free agent since that is no threat draft compensation wise.

Real chance Meredith, who everybody assumed was coming back, is going to leave.

Other teams can drive up price for fun too.  Kind of a game of chicken.

nobody is driving up the price for fun.  If anybody actually signs him to an offer sheet (which again nobody has) if the Bears decide not to match they have to pay that contract.  

On 3/24/2018 at 10:09 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah - seems to me he’s a worst case scenario first bench guy as a boundary corner. He’s still having to earn his roster spot. As of today he’s nothing more than a camp body. I’m fine with that. 

He's a decent depth player behind the two starters (Fuller & Prince) and he also provides good special teams value.  Outside of the goal line gaffe last year I don't know why some people hate Cooper so much.  He is a good backup player to have, especially at that rate.

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He's a decent depth player behind the two starters (Fuller & Prince) and he also provides good special teams value.  Outside of the goal line gaffe last year I don't know why some people hate Cooper so much.  He is a good backup player to have, especially at that rate.

I disliked him being signed because when he screws up, he does it big. Watched some of the tape when he was a potential FA for us and he made some great plays, but gave up some huge ones where he looked lost. I'm talking Conte-week-17 lost. 

At this contract though and not being put in a starter position, I'm far happier with this deal. Still want to move on from him sooner rather than later, but we aren' forcing a 7th rounder or UFA into action. 

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I disliked him being signed because when he screws up, he does it big. Watched some of the tape when he was a potential FA for us and he made some great plays, but gave up some huge ones where he looked lost. I'm talking Conte-week-17 lost. 

At this contract though and not being put in a starter position, I'm far happier with this deal. Still want to move on from him sooner rather than later, but we aren' forcing a 7th rounder or UFA into action. 

That’s why he’s here. He’s basically a placeholder who’s guaranteed nothing. If a rookie or younger player shows out at TC (Hall? Please??!) then even if he makes the team he would even be a lock to be active. 

Brad Biggs: One position that looks open for competition is at defensive end after the departure of Mitch Unrein. How do you view that spot?

Ryan Pace: I would say (Jonathan) Bullard and Roy Robertson-Harris. Those guys have to step up. Sometimes you can’t be afraid to have a void because it allows a younger part of your roster to step up and flourish. That has been one of the cool things with Matt. We had that exact conversation: “Hey, this is going to open up opportunities for a lot of the young guys that needed an opportunity to flourish.”

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-ryan-pace-qa-20180329-story.html

On 3/28/2018 at 8:37 AM, dll2000 said:

Cooper played well until he stopped at goal line and got stripped in all time clown move.  After that its like he forgot how to play and lost all his speed.  

Yeah. I sent a good rant to this forum about that play. Called for Fox to get fired along with Cooper. How can a guy make that type of grossly arrogant play for a defense coming off historically bad numbers and the current team was playing poorly too.

Such a bad play it begs for an over-reaction and requires somebody in power to send a major message.

23 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Yeah. I sent a good rant to this forum about that play. Called for Fox to get fired along with Cooper. How can a guy make that type of grossly arrogant play for a defense coming off historically bad numbers and the current team was playing poorly too.

Such a bad play it begs for an over-reaction and requires somebody in power to send a major message.

I was livid about that play, and my disdain for his signing just made it worse.  I'm trying to be completely objective and like the depth re-signing, but I still REALLY want to dislike the guy. lol

Archived