2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Berger never signed more than a two year deal with the Vikings. He just kept re-signing one year at a time. 

Gotcha. The point still stands though. Backups that have starting experience and versatility are extremely valuable.

Valuable, yes. But why would a young player, with plenty of starting experience, settle for a backup job when there is a scarcity of offensive line talent league wide, and plenty of potential starting jobs?

Sure, the Vikings would like to lock up Easton long term, as a cheap backup. But why would Easton?

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Valuable, yes. But why would a young player, with plenty of starting experience, settle for a backup job when there is a scarcity of offensive line talent league wide, and plenty of potential starting jobs?

Sure, the Vikings would like to lock up Easton long term, as a cheap backup. But why would Easton?

He would sign as the starter, and then if we improved at the position he would be the backup. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Why would a starter sign for backup money? Or why would the team keep a player making starter money as a backup?

The point is, you are simply not going to sign a player to a long term deal with the intent of making him a backup. 

What I am saying is that if we sign him to an extension, it's probably low end starter money. Let's say something similar to Fusco's 3 year 12 million dollar deal he just got. $4-5 million a year for a guy who can start, or give you depth at 3 positions on the OL is not a ton of money. Plus, that protects us from having a massive need in the draft again next year. Now, if he wants $8 million a year, then obviously that makes sense. However, if it's a reasonable deal that makes sense for both sides, why not?

Depending on how the draft falls.  We could end up seeing either Easton or Remmers as the primary OG backup depending on if we draft an OG that can also play OT or an OG that can also play C.

If we draft Wynn (OG/OT) it might make more sense to keep Easton to be a backup OG/C.  If we draft Price/Ragnow (OG/C) it might make more sense to keep Remmers as a backup OG/OT (assuming that we also draft a new offensive tackle at some point in the next two years).

This is great news. Williams would be just about ideal for the Vikings if he's there at #30. He's young and has played at an elite level except around his injury last year. He's a very good pass protector and an elite run blocker. 

The concern around his arm length (33") is stupid -- there's a PFF study (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play) that showed no correlation between arm length and grades for tackles. Plus 33" is the same arm length as Reiff. 

He played LT in college, but he could probably play RT. Kick slide looks good in either direction: 

Worst case scenario, he'd be a good long-term solution at LG. 

I wouldn't try to trade down from #30 if Williams is available. The Patriots (31) and Eagles (32) will both be looking for starting calibre tackles. Just take him -- day one starter at tackle late in the 1st round is excellent value. 

I’m not saying make Easton the starter long term. It just won’t cost much to keep him around as a young, experienced, versatile guy that is familiar with the offense and the other guys on the line. It seems silly to keep rotating guys in for the sake of bringing in someone new. 

I’ve definitely warmed up to the idea of taking Connor Williams.  I would absolutely love it if we could get Williams in the 1st and then Ragnow or Price in the 2nd.  I’m guessing that Ragnow will go higher than people are expecting, but Price will go lower than people are expecting.

Archived