Russell Wilson To Join Yankees' Training Camp!

bzane

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22543221/seattle-seahawks-quarterback-russell-wilson-new-york-yankees-camp-monday

Following in the famous footsteps of other 2-Sport Stars- Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Chuck Conners, Gene Connolly, Brutal-  the Seattle Seahawks' QB will be joining the New York Yankees's training camp.

Wilson is eager to team up with his new "Legion of Boom"- Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, and Gary Sanchez.

Wilson is also prepared to answer critics who claim he is "too short" to play second base at the major-league level.

Image result for Russell Wilson baseball

13 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Are he two sports stars only football players? Because Michael Jordan did it, I'm just sayin'...

You're right!!

Now that I think about it, Danny Ainge :S also played baseball and basketball.

Image result for Danny Ainge baseball

Dallas Cowboys' DE Ed "Too Tall" Jones became a statuesque, if inept, boxer:

Image result for Ed Too Tall Jones

Hypothetical question because it would never happen. He's not good enough!

However let's say Russell is immediately signed and quickly works his way up to the Big Leagues in say 3 months.

What does he do and what does the Seattle Organization who is paying him a $100m contract do when he's missing OTA's, Mini-camp , Training Camp and God Forbid a playoff run by the Yankees games into the 2018 Season?

We're not talking about a plug and play HOF caliber CB/RB like Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson. We're talking NFL QB. I think it would be hilarious to watch unfold especially if his choice was between the grind of the Minors and everything highlighted above?

2 hours ago, bzane said:

Wilson is also prepared to answer critics who claim he is "too short" to play second base at the major-league level.

The best 2B in all of baseball is about half a foot shorter than Wilson, so we're good.

Why do I bring this up? Eh, I'm a Jose Altuve fan...

tenor.gif

Look at him in all of his 5' 6" glory.

45 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Hypothetical question because it would never happen. He's not good enough!

I think Wilson does this yearly - he was with the Texas Rangers (the baseball team that drafted him a few years back) and he goes through Spring Training with them. It's nothing more than fun and games for Wilson - he doesn't interfere with the guys competing for jobs, he just goes out and plays a bit, then retreats to get back to football well before April. 

No harm, no foul. 

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think Wilson does this yearly - he was with the Texas Rangers (the baseball team that drafted him a few years back) and he goes through Spring Training with them. It's nothing more than fun and games for Wilson - he doesn't interfere with the guys competing for jobs, he just goes out and plays a bit, then retreats to get back to football well before April. 

No harm, no foul. 

Yeah, he's just having fun. I'm amazed that all doesn't violate the terms of his contract, though...

Trying to get some of that baseball money. I can't be mad at that. But I've never been a big fan of any player, in any sport, using what little free-time they have in the off-season on trying to learn another sport. I know I sure wouldn't. These guys are away from their families enough during TC and the regular season as it is.

21 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Trying to get some of that baseball money. I can't be mad at that. But I've never been a big fan of any player, in any sport, using what little free-time they have in the off-season on trying to learn another sport. I know I sure wouldn't. These guys are away from their families enough during TC and the regular season as it is.

He's not really trying to learn it - the Orioles drafted him in the 41st out of HS. He spent a few years in the Rockies organization after they drafted him in the 4th round, and he played minor league ball while in college.

It's clear where his skills lie - as a QB - but if he feels as if playing some in grapefruit leagues keeps him in shape and fuels his competitive nature, then go for it.

Right now is the time players start to prepare for next season - take a few weeks off to relax in Jan/Feb, but start to get back into the workout routine by March, nothing strenuous. Wilson seems to want to play some baseball to start up his workout routine. 

More power to him.

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

He's not really trying to learn it - the Orioles drafted him in the 41st out of HS. He spent a few years in the Rockies organization after they drafted him in the 4th round, and he played minor league ball while in college.

It's clear where his skills lie - as a QB - but if he feels as if playing some in grapefruit leagues keeps him in shape and fuels his competitive nature, then go for it.

Right now is the time players start to prepare for next season - take a few weeks off to relax in Jan/Feb, but start to get back into the workout routine by March, nothing strenuous. Wilson seems to want to play some baseball to start up his workout routine. 

More power to him.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. If he's just using the baseball platform to improve his routine then that's one thing. Trying to be the next Bo Jackson is another.

He isn't trying to make it as a baseball player. He is having some fun in the offseason. This is literally a non-story. The only gripe I have is that the Mariners should pick him up just for the PR of keeping him in Seattle. But I know his dad was a huge Yankee fan so he likely asked the Rangers to deal him there so he could wear pinstripes in honor of his dad. 

Archived