Sonny Gray Traded to NYY for Fowler, Mateo, Kaprelian

ramssuperbowl99

Well its interesting... yankees loading up on international bonus pool money. Got some from the A's and traded a minor league pitcher to Orioles for some.

I would love to see Yanks get rid of Ellsbury... dont see anyone taking him off our hands tho 

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Fowler just suffered a career altering injury, we all know Kap's arm issues.

This is all about Mateo. And keeping Florial (who Beane wanted but, well, lol Billy).

I'm not enamored with Mateo or Florial, but at least the latter has been praised for having a great makeup.  Mateo gives me Tabata vibes...

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

Trade away prospects only to acquire them later, in a trade when they become good players, and the A's have to sell again.

Apparently there are no other markets as crappy as Oakland with a crappy stadium, because that's the usual excuse.  At least the Rays try.

Pumped to get Gray.

Sucks to lose Fowler because of the way things went down, but no brainer in a deal like this given the uncertainty. Have to wonder if things would be different if he didn't injure his knee. Super love-hate relationship with Mateo, but happy they could hold on to Florial. And Kap is talented, but again, so much uncertainty with the constant injuries and TJS

I like Gray and that we did not have to give up our premium guys.  We did well on this deal.

I did like Kap though.  We still have Sheffield and Adams as pitching prospects.  Don't care much about losing Mateo.  Fowler was a nice prospect, but we have some other solid OF prospects and he is blocked at the ML level.

One other note on the Gray saga: The Cardinals entered the discussions late, floating the idea of a package that would have included outfielder Stephen Piscotty and a right-handed pitcher, either Luke Weaver or Jack Flaherty.

Per Ken Rosenthal of facebook dot com. 

Not sure why Beane made this deal. I know everyone thought they had to trade him but they didn't. He still has control left. This isn't a good enough return to me to make the move. I know it's a buyer's market but that is just all the more reason to wait.

30 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Not sure why Beane made this deal. I know everyone thought they had to trade him but they didn't. He still has control left. This isn't a good enough return to me to make the move. I know it's a buyer's market but that is just all the more reason to wait.

Agreed. They could have waited till off season for a potential bigger haul.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:22 AM, mse326 said:

Which makes me think Beane and his staff are worried about Gray's health.  Maybe so much so that they were willing to take a big hit on a return for him just so they didn't have to gamble on his arm staying intact until the offseason.  A torn UCL in September would keep him out of 2018, and 2019 would be his first year back.  He's a FA after 2019.  Nobody is going to give up anything remotely of value for a MOR guy for 1 year, in what happens to be his first year back from TJS.  

Either that, or Beane is just wacky.  Seems about a 50/50 proposition to me.

Archived