Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Just now, Justone2 said:

Think the TD numbers play a big part too. Kittle only has 5 compared to Kelce's 10. Kelce and Kittle both had incredible seasons and both really deserve 1st team but since there is only one spot you have to choose and i think both have just as strong a argument.

More or less where I stand. They both very much deserved it. You can argue either case successfully. I do think that playing for KC probably helped Kelce, but I don't think it was the only determining factor. 

• Like 1

Pulling from NFL Gen thread on the topic, but PFF had:

Kittle ranked as top TE

Staley ranked as 6th best tackle. 

Only two guys from the 49ers in the top of the rankings. 

Alfred Morris was the 7th worst running back (meh, he's unlikely to be back anyway)

Spoon was the 3rd worst corner 

Colbert was dead last in the safety rankings 

Foster was ranked the 5th worst linebacker with us, but obviously he's gone. 

Just now, Forge said:

Pulling from NFL Gen thread on the topic, but PFF had:

Kittle ranked as top TE

Staley ranked as 6th best tackle. 

Only two guys from the 49ers in the top of the rankings. 

Alfred Morris was the 7th worst running back (meh, he's unlikely to be back anyway)

Spoon was the 3rd worst corner 

Colbert was dead last in the safety rankings 

Foster was ranked the 5th worst linebacker with us, but obviously he's gone. 

With Spoon it must have everything to do with the start of the year cause those last few games before he got injured he played pretty damn well. Got unlucky with some of the calls against him(some of the softest PI calls).

Colbert i wish wouldn't have gotten injured to see if he could improve during the season and really get a feel for what we have in him. Feel he gambled a bit too much this year and got burned because of that. 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

With Spoon it must have everything to do with the start of the year cause those last few games before he got injured he played pretty damn well. Got unlucky with some of the calls against him(some of the softest PI calls).

Colbert i wish wouldn't have gotten injured to see if he could improve during the season and really get a feel for what we have in him. Feel he gambled a bit too much this year and got burned because of that. 

Weak calls or not, I think that they probably have to consider those, so yeah, they probably impacted him to some degree. Though I will say, given how he started the season, even though he picked it up at the end, I'd still consider what he put out there as a bad season overall. 

As for Colbert....I mean, he was just brutal. The thing that concerns me is that it wasn't the talent that seemed to be lacking - it was the discipline / awareness, etc. He freelanced...a lot. Blew assignment. That's concerning, because i don't know that coaches can fix that. Going into next year, I want him as the back up free safety and a special teams player (he's good on ST), period. 

Just now, Forge said:

Weak calls or not, I think that they probably have to consider those, so yeah, they probably impacted him to some degree. Though I will say, given how he started the season, even though he picked it up at the end, I'd still consider what he put out there as a bad season overall. 

As for Colbert....I mean, he was just brutal. The thing that concerns me is that it wasn't the talent that seemed to be lacking - it was the discipline / awareness, etc. He freelanced...a lot. Blew assignment. That's concerning, because i don't know that coaches can fix that. Going into next year, I want him as the back up free safety and a special teams player (he's good on ST), period. 

Yeah i just feel with Spoon it is positive how he ended the season instead of the other way around. 

For Colbert i feel 100% the same way just more that i wished we could have seen if he could improve his play during the year. But yeah to me he should be a back-up next year behind preferably a vet that can help him realize that he needs to be more disciplined.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah i just feel with Spoon it is positive how he ended the season instead of the other way around. 

My concern is that you can say the exact same thing at this time last year, and then he came in and completely sucked to start the season this year LOL. I want to bring in another corner to compete with him for that CB2 spot. I don't want to hand him the starting job there either; he hasn't shown that he's consistent enough to deserve it to be honest. 

Just now, Forge said:

My concern is that you can say the exact same thing at this time last year, and then he came in and completely sucked to start the season this year LOL. I want to bring in another corner to compete with him for that CB2 spot. I don't want to hand him the starting job there either; he hasn't shown that he's consistent enough to deserve it to be honest. 

Oh yeah 100%. But judging based on the comments from Sherman and Saleh it was a mental thing with him where he thought he was there already and found out the hard way. So yeah bring in some competition but for me its only if you can sign a guy in FA. I wouldn't draft another guy in the 2nd/3rd to compete. Otherwise let Moore and Spoon battle it out in training camp probably not ideal but with the amount of picks we have i think there are better places to spend them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Oh yeah 100%. But judging based on the comments from Sherman and Saleh it was a mental thing with him where he thought he was there already and found out the hard way. So yeah bring in some competition but for me its only if you can sign a guy in FA. I wouldn't draft another guy in the 2nd/3rd to compete. Otherwise let Moore and Spoon battle it out in training camp probably not ideal but with the amount of picks we have i think there are better places to spend them.

Agreed on not spending an early pick. I think this need is a bit less than most think and would prefer to let the former 2nd day picks already here get more time. I am fine with a free agent or drafting a 3rd day player to mix in, but that's it. Also okay if the team adds Ramsey (if available). This seems counterintuitive, but adding a superstar is different than adding flawed 2nd round prospects. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm not sure if this was posted, but PFF had a short spotlight on some of the 49ers that year that stuck out, and why it bodes well for the future. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-a-promising-young-nucleus-has-the-49ers-ready-for-2019-and-beyond

Wow, that almost seems written by a 9ers fan. Gives quite a glowing endorsement to several of our young talents...

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Wow, that almost seems written by a 9ers fan. Gives quite a glowing endorsement to several of our young talents...

Strange nothing is mentioned about Fred Warner. I wonder if his play trailed off during the second part of the year according to their scores. Still, he showed promise as a rook. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Strange nothing is mentioned about Fred Warner. I wonder if his play trailed off during the second part of the year according to their scores. Still, he showed promise as a rook. 

I think Fred will just be a very solid player for a long time. Someone else will probably be more flashy next to him, like Foster was supposed to be, but that flashy player couldn't do it if it weren't for a guy like Fred who is sound and responsible. And adding better players around him will draw attention away, and then he'll be able to make more plays. 

Let's add the top rookie pass rusher to this team. Remember Aldon (on the field). Having that threat on the edge makes everyone on the defense that much better. 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

His score tumbled down considerably from how he graded out the first couple of weeks. He only finished with 63.9 in their scoring system, which is decidedly average. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

His score tumbled down considerably from how he graded out the first couple of weeks. He only finished with 63.9 in their scoring system, which is decidedly average. 

Warner was good but still missed too many tackles for my liking. And he's not a game changer in the run game like Foster. But he will be really good for a long time. Comparing him to Foster though was always laughable. Not even close to being on his level……Healthy Foster that is. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Warner was good but still missed too many tackles for my liking. And he's not a game changer in the run game like Foster. But he will be really good for a long time. Comparing him to Foster though was always laughable. Not even close to being on his level……Healthy Foster that is. 

I'm wondering if we go after Mosely is the Ravens don't tag or extend him. He's going to be looking for a huge kuechly to deal I think, and we are the type of team that will give to him. He plugs into the middle, Warner goes to will, which he may be better suited for (I think the team didn't love Foster in the middle and calling plays). I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's there big money target we go for

• Like 1