Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

47 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

He's due $25M over the next two years. That affects our ability to re-sign players more than $8M in dead money that exists no matter what we do with him and his contract.

Exactly. Dumping him and his bloated contract is actually the intelligent thing to do because it frees up over $17M over the next 2 years.

9 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Sammy Watkins just got $16M per year. Albert Wilson got $8M. Are we sure Dez's contract is "bloated"?

Exactly. these put Dez worth about $20m/yr on the FA market. He's probably hoping Dallas cuts him. 

I'd kick the tires on Suh, Harrison. Imagine a pass rush set of Suh-Irving-Lawerence? See what the hawks for ET. If not kick tires on Vaccaro. Also isn't Damon Harrison a free agent? You'd think seeing what players like him and Bennie Logan does against us, we'd want one... 

24 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

I'd kick the tires on Suh, Harrison. Imagine a pass rush set of Suh-Irving-Lawerence? See what the hawks for ET. If not kick tires on Vaccaro. Also isn't Damon Harrison a free agent? You'd think seeing what players like him and Bennie Logan does against us, we'd want one... 

Suh is going to be too expensive. Logan would be #1 on DT list for me. Harrison isn't a FA, believe you're thinking of other Giants DT, Jay Bromley. Would look at him as well.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Cutting Dez is beyond stupid looking at these WR open market contracts.

That’s a pretty binary way to look at it. Perhaps all the teams spending foolishly at receiver are just that- foolish. There’s other positions that a run-first offense whose defense is finally starting to come on are allowed to spend its money.

You know what I don't get. Honest to god don't get.

Some of you don't want to pay D-Law top 5 money...and yet are sitting here with a straight face complaining Dallas isn't doing anything in free agency and seeing the absurd contracts being thrown out there.

Pay. This. Man.

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Some of you don't want to pay D-Law top 5 money...and yet are sitting here with a straight face complaining Dallas isn't doing anything in free agency and seeing the absurd contracts being thrown out there.

Pay. This. Man.

Yeah, Lawrence & Martin need to get locked up. Irving should get a 1st Round tender. A solution needs to be reached in regards to Dez...and probably T-Will and Beasley as well. Need to figure out who we're restructuring to free up cap room as well...

I’m all on board with locking up D-Law now, assuming his demands are more in the Olivier Vernon range than Von Miller. Cut $10M off his cap hit today and go use that at LG, DT, LB, and/or SS.

Instead our team is acting like they can’t do any of that because of Lawrence and his cap hit. Check out this propaganda: https://mobile.twitter.com/dallascowboys/status/972263309964730368

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Pay. This. Man.

I do find it bothersome paying a guy who has missed a 1/4 of his games and had one productive season $100m over the next 5-6 years. 

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

That’s a pretty binary way to look at it. Perhaps all the teams spending foolishly at receiver are just that- foolish. There’s other positions that a run-first offense whose defense is finally starting to come on are allowed to spend its money.

Obviously I don't think that's their plan though, matt79511. We've done nothing but interview WRs, and voice our concern about getting more from that position. Fish posted that tweet about how we are going to be surprised at what Dallas might TRY to do. Then it comes out that we tried for Watkins and Robinson but it was too steep. Like really? 

If there is one thing that Dallas has made clear it's that they want WRs.  Almost exclusively it seems, with our FA attempts and draft interviews. That's why it's a binary view. I have little reason to believe dallas would cut Dez and not have to use most of that 8 milly on another WR.

17 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I have little reason to believe dallas would cut Dez and not have to use most of that 8 milly on another WR.

Be that as it may- and I tend to agree with you- there's no reason to shoot your shot now on one of these Day 1 guys. In the last couple years, we've seen guys like Eric Decker and Jeremy Maclin become available in the latter phases of the offseason, and go for less money. I would hope Dallas has the foresight to wait for something like that to happen, should we move on from Dez. Emmanuel Sanders is probably the dream for that scenario, albeit an unlikely one.

I just think all this handwringing over "Look at all these trash WRs getting paid and you guys think Dez isn't worth his contract??" is missing the point. There's no way a WR that caught half his targets for 6.6 YPT and had over twice as many drops as touchdowns is worth anywhere near 10% of the salary cap, regardless of what other players at his position make, and I'm skeptical that the infrastructure around him will improve to the point that he's more than marginally better next year. And if it does- is it him, or the infrastructure? Because he was SOOOOO BAD once we lost Zeke and defense keyed in on him.

I just think there's a better chance he gets hurt than anything else tbh. That was his excuse for his bad season, you know- playing through his 3rd lower body injury in as many years.

Archived