2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Remember injuries like this the next time you guys want to criticize a guy for not participating in an event. We may want them to, but chances are guys like Price hurt their stock and cost themselves more money/guaranteed money than they do by making themselves money.

You’re not wrong and I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but in this case he hurt it on the first rep of a bench press. 

Maybe he strained it because he was nervous, rushing, over training, or something else that wouldn’t have occurred if he wasn’t at the combine - but it’s a pretty routine thing to be doing, especially in a sport that predicates explosion. I get wanting to be safe and getting the money, but you still need to train. If he tore a hamstring at an individual practice with a team or tore a pectoral just strength training, I doubt we’d be entertaining that maybe guys don’t need to be doing them. 

I do agree that prospects that don’t have perceived physical limitations to deter, don’t have a ton to gain. But coming to the combine and having very good workouts doesn’t hurt a guy’s stock and IMO the upside is worth the possible injuries given that most of the movements are ones that they’ve been doing for years.

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Orlando Brown, 14 reps. Yikes!

47 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

This OT class is looking worse and worse by the minute.

43 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Jesus Christ, that’s awful. 

36 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Long arms, believe me, he mauls guys on film.

Brown's long arms do make it harder to do well - but 14 is really low, most long-armed guys get to the 20's IIRC.   Given he's more likely to be a RT and not a LT, even though the premium on RT is rising, if other T's test well and his other drills fail to impress, no doubt he falls.  Given his size, this could be a significant Combine-related draft fall.   Seemed like a lock for top 25 pick b4.

Just a reminder, but bench press has the lowest correlation to NFL success of any of the Combine tests. I'll see if I can dig up the study I read last year. The point is, though, that the strength and movement required for the NFL doesn't necessarily match the ability to throw up some weight x+ number of times. You don't want to see someone who doesn't spend time in the weight room, sure, but overall it's just not a concern. Don't downgrade guys just because of low reps.

2 minutes ago, reamer said:

Just a reminder, but bench press has the lowest correlation to NFL success of any of the Combine tests. I'll see if I can dig up the study I read last year. The point is, though, that the strength and movement required for the NFL doesn't necessarily match the ability to throw up some weight x+ number of times. You don't want to see someone who doesn't spend time in the weight room, sure, but overall it's just not a concern. Don't downgrade guys just because of low reps.

Not that I hold the bench press in high esteem or anything, but curious whether or not that correlation is the same for linemen as it would be for prospects as a whole. On the whole, I could definitely see the bench having little to no value for most of the positions. 

2 minutes ago, reamer said:

To me, once you get to the 20-30 range, you probably have no correlation. I'd like to see the OL with 19 reps or less and how they fared in the NFL.

As noted a lot of long guys get to 20+, Stanley had 24, Solder who most consider a finesse OL got 21.

Archived