Men's fashion

sunnygsm

11 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Thing is, I'm happy when I think people look at me and think to themselves "that's a sharp dressed man".

I also enjoyed being complimented on my attire. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not going to wear something completely out of my comfort zone for other people's approval. But at the same time, I'm a sociable person and my appearance is important to me. 

If I could walk around in nothing but boxer briefs without getting arrested that's what I'd do. And I'd make sure I grew a big ol beer gut.

Just now, TENINCH said:

If I could walk around in nothing but boxer briefs without getting arrested that's what I'd do. And I'd make sure I grew a big ol beer gut.

See, we have different priorities. 

Having said that coming into a mens fashion thread to call it dumb is a bit dumb in itself, no? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'd actually like to avoid those women, because if all they are worried about is the number in your bank account, then they're not exactly interested in you.

Actually, I would like to retract this statement. There are women who would like to meet you in your 40s, even if you have very little sense in style.

Why, you ask? Because they see you as a project. You don't know it at the time, but everything you valued in style is about to go completely out the window, and there is absolutely NOTHING you can do about it.

It starts off innocuously - you're both out and about, you stop by a store for some looking around and - very subtly - she says "Look at those jeans. Those are nice! They'd pair well with that shirt!" You kinda nod (because you're not going to tell her "psh, I wouldn't be caught dead in that!") And the next thing you know, you're the proud owner of said jeans and shirt, with a belt to match.

So what, ET? They'll gather dust in my closet, next to that kickin Chewbacca "Bed Head" shirt I scored at Wal Mart! She's happy I bought them, I don't wear them...life is kicking. Yep. You're right. They'll sit...in waiting.

One day you two will be getting ready to go out to dinner, or drinks or a movie or whatever...you will be getting your trust jeans and fishing shirt on and...the world will be forever altered by this simple phrase:

"...are you going to wear that?"

At this point, pack it up. It's over. Good bye. She will suggest the jeans, you'll comply. She'll then mention how the fishing shirt doesn't go well with the jeans, so shirt is now in the mix. Belt/shoes will be updated accordingly. You're now in her clutches. Next time you come home from wherever, you'll find two more pair of jeans with four shirts - because you can't go out wearing the same outfit, and the shirts can be paired separately with the jeans, so you have about 10 different outfits at your disposal, and you'll eventually need a few sweaters to go with the jeans and maybe a pair of slacks or two in case you go somewhere fancy, perhaps a sports coat to go with the slacks, sports coat for the jeans, matching watch for the shirts...

So understand, you're not avoiding anything. You're just delaying the process, and taking the choice out if your hands.

One last note - this will happen to EACH of us. Style savvy or not. Even if your lady friend was drawn to you because of your style. Because while she likes your style, she likes HER style better.

Sincerely,

- Married guy who is going through this.

16 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Might be a silly question, but whats general upkeep and cleaning of a suit like? How do you clean a tie? 

As ET mentioned, dry cleaning isn't particularly expensive for suits. I don't dry clean mine too often. Some rules of thumb regarding suit-care and dry cleaning. If you don't wear a suit too often, once a year is fine. If you wear suits fairly regularly, try to rotate them and dry clean them "when necessary". I wear mine a lot due to work (rotating them) and I probably dry clean my suits ~2-3 times a year (take half one week, the others when I get the first set back).

1 minute ago, fretgod99 said:

As ET mentioned, dry cleaning isn't particularly expensive for suits. I don't dry clean mine too often. Some rules of thumb regarding suit-care and dry cleaning. If you don't wear a suit too often, once a year is fine. If you wear suits fairly regularly, try to rotate them and dry clean them "when necessary". I wear mine a lot due to work (rotating them) and I probably dry clean my suits ~2-3 times a year (take half one week, the others when I get the first set back).

I'd also suggest getting a garment bag to keep the suit in when you're not wearing it (you can usually get one with the suit for like $5).

16 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

How do you clean a tie? 

To be honest, I don't clean mine a ton (not as much as I should). Most ties I'm not particularly attached to, so if one gets stained or something, I just get rid of it. I recently stained one I really like and got as a gift, though. So that'll probably be dry cleaned.

Tie Cleaning Tips.

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'd also suggest getting a garment bag to keep the suit in when you're not wearing it (you can usually get one with the suit for like $5).

Always a good idea. I have like 5-6, but I'm lazy because I wear them all the damned time. Like, I have a really nice 3-piece that I rarely wear (even just the jacket and pants) because I have to deal with moving around the vest when I take the suit off the hanger and put it back on at the end of the day. That's how lazy. xD

There's been some mention of boots in here, I'd like to jump in and ask too. I just moved to the Northeast so I can't get away with not having boots when it snows anymore. So I guess I'm more interested in what will keep my feet warm than purely looking at it from a style perspective. I know Bean Boots are really popular but I'm guessing there's better options out there

1 hour ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

There's been some mention of boots in here, I'd like to jump in and ask too. I just moved to the Northeast so I can't get away with not having boots when it snows anymore. So I guess I'm more interested in what will keep my feet warm than purely looking at it from a style perspective. I know Bean Boots are really popular but I'm guessing there's better options out there

Native NYer here. I have a pair of Bean Boots and Timberlands. Both are waterproof (necessary for winter, especially if you hit the NYC street corners). I usually wear my Bean Boots for rain and light snow. I wear the Timberlands for heavy snow. Just a personal preference. I dress more preppy usually, hence wearing Bean Boots more frequently.

29 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

I have a wedding this weekend. Formal attire, not black tie.

2 options to choose from: Traditional Black Suit or Nice pair of dress pants and a salmon blazer. Is the salmon blazer look too informal?

What color are the dress pants?

I'm leaning traditional, but I tend to be more conservative. I think the most daring I ever got was a bowtie for my daughter's baptism...