Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

On 7/9/2018 at 6:24 PM, cooters22 said:

Some of you guys make me laugh saying Aaron shouldn't have extended the 2 plays he got hurt on. You play every play hard because otherwise you get hurt. And Aaron knows no other way.

Agree. If you say he shouldn’t have extended those played be the got hurt, then he shouldn’t have extended any play because he could have gotten hurt. He’s made far more good from scrambling than bad. 

Its football, guys get hurt. 

On 7/10/2018 at 7:40 PM, MantyWrestler said:

Agree. If you say he shouldn’t have extended those played be the got hurt, then he shouldn’t have extended any play because he could have gotten hurt. He’s made far more good from scrambling than bad. 

Its football, guys get hurt. 

This.  I wonder if people had issues with his last throw in the Dallas playoff game in 2016 to Jarod Cook .  Or his last throw in the season finale against Chicago in 2013 to Randall Cobb.  Extending plays is one of the reasons Aaron Rodgers is one of the most special talents ever to play in the NFL.  You've got to take the good with the bad and there is far more good.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

This.  I wonder if people had issues with his last throw in the Dallas playoff game in 2016 to Jarod Cook .  Or his last throw in the season finale against Chicago in 2013 to Randall Cobb.  Extending plays is one of the reasons Aaron Rodgers is one of the most special talents ever to play in the NFL.  You've got to take the good with the bad and there is far more good.

Situational awareness.

I dont really have a horse in this race but there's a pretty big difference between those situations and when he got hurt extending plays. 

A 4th down with the playoffs on the line and 10 seconds left in a tied playoff game are times you extend the play at any risk. No one is going to argue that. A random second down play and a third down play in field goal range in September not so much.

There's 1000+ snaps in a year. You don't have to put yourself at risk to win every one. That seems to be a reasonable stance to me. 

6 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Situational awareness.

I dont really have a horse in this race but there's a pretty big difference between those situations and when he got hurt extending plays. 

A 4th down with the playoffs on the line and 10 seconds left in a tied playoff game are times you extend the play at any risk. No one is going to argue that. A random second down play and a third down play in field goal range in September not so much.

There's 1000+ snaps in a year. You don't have to put yourself at risk to win every one. That seems to be a reasonable stance to me. 

Also keep in mind his scrambling ability helps the pass rush too.  How many teams run a contain rush on us to try and keep him in the pocket instead of a typical rush or using their LBs as spies instead of in coverage or rushing.  Pocket QBs take a lot of hits too and I think Rodgers typically does a pretty good job of avoiding hits when he gets out of the pocket via scrambling OOB or sliding.

Nice Peter King interview with AR12.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/15/aaron-rodgers-contract-sharks-peter-king-fmia/

“I’d love to play to 40,” he said. “I just think that number means a lot. Obviously, Tom [Brady] is kind of rewriting the book. Brett [Favre] had a good season when he turned 40. My goal is be able to move like I do or close to how I do and still be able to do that at 40 … just because nobody’s been able to do that and still move around the same. Steve Young’s career was cut short in his late thirties. John [Elway], the same—he didn’t really move the same as when he was younger. So to be able to move the same way at 38, 39, 40 would be cool. That’s my aim.”

He disagrees with my take that he’s got to get rid of the ball quicker, take fewer hits. “I try to already,” he said.

“I’ve played football since I was 13 years old and I’ve taken two shots where I couldn’t wiggle free, and broke my collarbone twice. I feel pretty good about the way I play, avoiding some major stuff. I’ve had a couple muscle pulls. But other than that, as a starter I’ve been pretty healthy. Two hits. First time [in 2013, against Chicago] I didn’t see the guy. Second time I did. [In 2017, Minnesota’s Anthony Barr leveled him outside the pocket.] I didn’t think he was gonna hit me maybe as hard as he did. But he did and that was what happened.”

He said he’d “like to” play his career entirely for Green Bay.

“But I think in my time there, I realize no one is above the team. They can trade Brett Favre, Jordy Nelson. They can not re-sign a Charles Woodson or Julius Peppers. They make decisions that are in the best interest of the team. It could be me at some point. You have to be humble enough to realize that, and I do. I’d love to be able to …

“How many guys get to actually pick the way and the team how they go out? You know? Hardly anybody. You have to understand that’s a real possibility. But yeah, my dream situation would be to stay in Green Bay.”

Direct Quote from Aaron Rodgers via Peter King:

" I never said anything about [tying the contract to] the cap. I just think there’s ways to do contracts where you can still be competitive so the team is happy about it, but have some more freedom.”

14 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Direct Quote from Aaron Rodgers via Peter King:

" I never said anything about [tying the contract to] the cap. I just think there’s ways to do contracts where you can still be competitive so the team is happy about it, but have some more freedom.”

@Outpost31 (HZ)

Just now, JBURGE said:

@Outpost31 (HZ)

Yep, saw that.  Made me feel better about it, but I don't like how he's talking about unique contract things either.  Just wish Rodgers thought a little more along the lines of Bortles, who gets it:

“I think definitely the way the Tom has done it is the way to try to model,” Bortles said. “Having guys and putting pieces around him was definitely something. When you take up a ton of money you kind of limit your team and who they can help you out with and put around you. I’m not naive enough to say that we don’t need a run game. We also need a good defense, we need good receivers, we need all these pieces. You can’t play as a quarterback and do it yourself so I’m more than willing to take less money than somebody else might in my position to put good guys around us.”

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:
8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

@Outpost31 (HZ)

Yep, saw that.  Made me feel better about it, but I don't like how he's talking about unique contract things either.  Just wish Rodgers thought a little more along the lines of Bortles, who gets it:

“I think definitely the way the Tom has done it is the way to try to model,” Bortles said. “Having guys and putting pieces around him was definitely something. When you take up a ton of money you kind of limit your team and who they can help you out with and put around you. I’m not naive enough to say that we don’t need a run game. We also need a good defense, we need good receivers, we need all these pieces. You can’t play as a quarterback and do it yourself so I’m more than willing to take less money than somebody else might in my position to put good guys around us.”

I have a really hard time comparing Brady and Rodgers' situations. I'm also having a hard time comparing Bortles to either of them

Also, your new name sucks

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol come on. The Jags probably said "Here's what we're offering, take it or leave it." Not really caring one way or another. Bortles signs it and comes out with that nice quote about team friendly deal. Let's be real, no one wants Bortles, Jags probably gave him more than he would get on the market.

I saw that Bortles thing on ESPN today lol. I was like yeah okay Blake, I bet you took less bud. That's like Kyler Fackrell saying he's not holding out for an extension so there's more money for the rest of the team.

Hot Take:

If Blake Bortles is really done drinking, he can be a Franchise QB. 

There are a lot of cases of guys from Roethlisberger to TJ Lang, Josh Hamilton in baseball, even Michael Jordan to some extent, of talented dudes with drinking problems who have really figured it out as they've gone on and cleaned their life up.

The basically substantiated rumor with Bortles is that he is/was a serious alcoholic, like get drunk on his own in a bar from 8:30-1:30, 4 nights a week, alcoholic. Apparently this year was the first year he's gotten serious help, on and off the field. I don't think he'll ever be Ben Roethlisberger which really was his ceiling, but if he can keep it between the lines he'll be serviceable. A lot of folks around the league aren't ever going to be comfortable with that player with those issues. 

Archived