FA WR Sammy Watkins: Your Team Interested? How Much $?

G08

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

He should get a prove-it deal, similar to Jeffery’s. Any team signing him to +10M on a long term deal is making a mistake IMO (unless it has virtually no guarantees). 

Jeffrey had that suspension issue hanging over him, though. And Watkins has come back and played well after all of his various injuries. I'm not saying you're wrong in theory, but those sort of circumstances don't normally bring about a "prove it" kind of deal...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Jeffrey had that suspension issue hanging over him, though. And Watkins has come back and played well after all of his various injuries. I'm not saying you're wrong in theory, but those sort of circumstances don't normally bring about a "prove it" kind of deal...

That’s fair. 

To me, Watkins has come back in a sense after being so injury prone but he hasn’t had that elite production. If he wants to get paid the bigger dollars on a deal lasting longer than a year or so, he has to prove he’s capable of both a clean bill of health and production. 

Thats at least how I see it. I don’t think he’s currently worth a deal that Jeffery or Adams has currently. Maybe he signs one and then shows to be better than both of them, but at this point it’s unoroven.

23 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Thats at least how I see it. I don’t think he’s currently worth a deal that Jeffery or Adams has currently. Maybe he signs one and then shows to be better than both of them, but at this point it’s unoroven.

I don't either.

But I'm betting he gets one, or close to it...

5 hours ago, G08 said:

If you compare Davante Adams' career numbers they are awfully similar:

DA - 59 games, 398 targets, 237 rec, 2811 yds, 11.9 YPC, 26 TDs

SW - 52 games, 346 targets, 192 rec, 3052 yds, 15.9 YPC, 25 TDs

Watkins also didn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him the majority of his career (he was blessed with EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor, and Jared Goff)

I think they are players trending in opposite directions though.

Sammy needs to prove he can stay healthy and be consistent before he gets anything more than a 1 year deal IMO.

The Rams just cleared even more cap space with the trade of Tree. I hate to burst any bubbles of people hoping their team sign Watkins but the Rams will aggressively try to keep him. Only way he leaves is if he doesn’t want to return and not because the Rams can’t afford to keep him or they aren’t going to try hard enough to keep him. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

The Rams just cleared even more cap space with the trade of Tree. I hate to burst any bubbles of people hoping their team sign Watkins but the Rams will aggressively try to keep him. Only way he leaves is if he doesn’t want to return and not because the Rams can’t afford to keep him or they aren’t going to try hard enough to keep him. 

I think they're around $32 million right now, I'm not sure you can spend 1/2 of that on a player that was 4th on your team in targets, especially with Donald about to become the highest paid defensive player in the NFL and Gurley coming out of contract in a year or two. Of course we have no idea if he wants to stay in LA for less money or if his market winds up being crap.

It'll be really interesting to watch unfold.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think they're around $32 million right now, I'm not sure you can spend 1/2 of that on a player that was 4th on your team in targets, especially with Donald about to become the highest paid defensive player in the NFL and Gurley coming out of contract in a year or two. Of course we have no idea if he wants to stay in LA for less money or if his market winds up being crap.

It'll be really interesting to watch unfold.

Actually the Rams should have 40m that’s when you factor the tag of Joyner. Now the trade of Tree and the soon to be traded or cut Tavon the Rams should have even more. Plus it’s been reported the Rams will aggressively try to sign Watkins and they have enough money to do so by clearing all that cap space. I’m still thinking the one guy that will be gone is a Tru and not Watkins unless Watkins don’t want to return. But I do agree that it will be interesting to watch. One thing I do know is the Rams have plenty of cap space and draft picks. Also it has been said that the Donald extension has no effect on what the Rams will do in FA because they have that budgeted.

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I think Cleveland is sitting pretty well if they can hit on a QB this year in the draft. Obviously that seems to be easier said than done, but I do like the look of their offense with something like this:

QB- Darnold

RB- Barkley

WR- Gordon, Coleman, Watkins

TE- Njoku

They also have some talented players on the OL.

I agree. They can set themselves up VERY nicely

Is there any hope for Sammy taking his game back to good old Buffalo, where it all started for him?

Would be a great, sentimental story- a Homecoming sort of thing.

And with the rumors about the Bills maybe trading up to get one of the top QB's- there's a thread about Josh Rosen- maybe they could entice Sammy back?

Image result for Sammy Watkins Buffalo Bills

7 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Wouldn’t take him for anything over 10

Agreed.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

I don't think the Rams are gearing up to throw a lot of money at Sammy.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Agreed.

I don’t think they will throw a lot of money at him either but they will put enough out there where he won’t feel low balled so at least if he leaves it will he because he didn’t want to be in LA and not because the Rams gave him a low ball offer that he instantly turned down. At least that’s how I see it. 

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Agreed.

What's your gut feeling on the odds of Watkins coming  back to the Rams? 50% chance he does?

Archived