FA WR Sammy Watkins: Your Team Interested? How Much $?

G08

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

20%

Obviously it's your opinion, but you have to think it's higher than that. Before Quinn and Ogletree I would said 20%, but with those moves you have to think they are going to make him an offer closer to (but not over) what the market will give him. I think the market will give him 13-15mil and we offer him 12, with a high amount guaranteed. Could be enough to keep him. 45%

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Obviously it's your opinion, but you have to think it's higher than that. Before Quinn and Ogletree I would said 20%, but with those moves you have to think they are going to make him an offer closer to (but not over) what the market will give him. I think the market will give him 13-15mil and we offer him 12, with a high amount guaranteed. Could be enough to keep him. 45%

I don't think we're throwing a bunch of money at him. I think someone else will.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think we're throwing a bunch of money at him. I think someone else will.

As a Bears fan I hope that we throw a bunch of $$$ at him, but as a football fan I don't think your offense needs him. You were the #1 scoring offense in the NFL last season, and he was 5th on your team in touches. I haven't dug too deep into your offense but if you only want to use him as a deep threat, you're much better off saving money and going after Paul Richardson or Taylor Gabriel (or anyone that is a legitimate deep threat). That opens up so much of McVay's offense.

An offense like what I am anticipating Nagy/Helfrich to put together is going to use someone like Watkins a lot more like how he was utilized at Clemson, which I think should make him happy and hopefully make us happy.

Some musings that Robinson and Watkins will get "prove it" deals that will be front loaded. Curious what kind of numbers that entails... 1 year, $10 million with incentives?

3 minutes ago, Ballimore said:

He’s worth 10/10.5M a year.

He’s going to get about 11.5/12M a year.

I hope the Ravens can get him for 3 years, 30M. But that’s probably unlikely.

I think that's fair. My Bears have the worst WR corps in the league, maybe even in the last 5 years if I'm being honest, so I don't care if they give him Davante Adams' contract.

He's an explosive and dynamic playmaker that makes plays when he's on the field. His only real issue is that he has trouble staying on the field. Granted, that is a big issue. But I could easily see him getting an incentivized contract in the 8-10m/year range. I could see him getting 12m... And playing up to it if he stays healthy.

27 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You serious? That's ridiculous for someone that hasn't really come close to reaching his potential 

It's insane for sure, but compare his career numbers (4 years) to Davante Adams' career numbers (4 years) and keep in mind Adams had one of the greatest QBs in NFL history throwing him the ball while Watkins had EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor and Jared Goff.

I'd have to think his agent, if he's worth a damn, is trumpeting those facts hoping someone takes the bait.

Archived