FA WR Sammy Watkins: Your Team Interested? How Much $?

G08

Wasn't sure where to put this thread so if it's the wrong forum, mods, please feel free to move it

Wanted to put a feeler out to see who thinks their team is/might be interested in Sammy Watkins when free agency strikes next week.

What kind of money do you think will be thrown at him and what do you think/anticipate his contract will wind up being? A 1-year prove it deal a la Alshon Jeffery?

I believe the Bears will be interested in his services, as for his price tag it's really tough to assess. His career numbers are awfully similar to Davante Adams (although Adams had Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball) and he just signed a 4 year/$58 million contract with $30 million guaranteed.

Bears, 49ers, and Ravens seem to be the top 3 and will pay him Top 10 money or a large 1 year provide it deal ala Alshon Jeffrey. I hope the Rams lock him up though. He will get likely 13-15 mil a year in this market. I think Rams will offer 11-12 max annually to keep him.

If you compare Davante Adams' career numbers they are awfully similar:

DA - 59 games, 398 targets, 237 rec, 2811 yds, 11.9 YPC, 26 TDs

SW - 52 games, 346 targets, 192 rec, 3052 yds, 15.9 YPC, 25 TDs

Watkins also didn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him the majority of his career (he was blessed with EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor, and Jared Goff)

Id sign him in Cleve. Gordon, Coleman, Watkins, our TEs........hell not too shabby. 

If they ever accidentally find a Q, at least those guys can make plays.

Cap space doesn't matter, we can over pay players. Doesn't matter at all.

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Bears, 49ers, and Ravens seem to be the top 3 and will pay him Top 10 money or a large 1 year provide it deal ala Alshon Jeffrey. I hope the Rams lock him up though. He will get likely 13-15 mil a year in this market. I think Rams will offer 11-12 max annually to keep him.

I haven't heard anything about him and the 49ers. I've heard some scuttle we like A-Rob, but nothing on Watkins. But I agree that I'd be willing to give him something similar to Alshon's one year prove it deal. Probably not as much on that one year, but something similar. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I haven't heard anything about him and the 49ers. I've heard some scuttle we like A-Rob, but nothing on Watkins. But I agree that I'd be willing to give him something similar to Alshon's one year prove it deal. Probably not as much on that one year, but something similar. 

See the issue with the prove-it deal that everybody is saying they'd prefer to offer him, that's almost assuredly what the Rams already did offer him.  He's been very pro-LA since we acquired him from Buffalo, so if it's a case of a taking a "prove it" deal, (and I know this flies in the face of a lot of peoples' wants to sign a big name FA) it likely makes more sense for him to just sign it in LA and stick it out with the system he's already familiar with and the QB he already started establishing chemistry with toward the end of the season than it does to ship out to Baltimore or Chicago to catch balls from Flacco or Trubisky respectively.  If a team wants him to uproot, it's likely going to take the kind of contract the Rams weren't willing to offer - which is going to be that excess of $12-13m AAV, if not more.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

See the issue with the prove-it deal that everybody is saying they'd prefer to offer him, that's almost assuredly what the Rams already did offer him.  He's been very pro-LA since we acquired him from Buffalo, so if it's a case of a taking a "prove it" deal, (and I know this flies in the face of a lot of peoples' wants to sign a big name FA) it likely makes more sense for him to just sign it in LA and stick it out with the system he's already familiar with and the QB he already started establishing chemistry with toward the end of the season than it does to ship out to Baltimore or Chicago to catch balls from Flacco or Trubisky respectively.  If a team wants him to uproot, it's likely going to take the kind of contract the Rams weren't willing to offer - which is going to be that excess of $12-13m AAV, if not more.

Oh for sure. I said it in another thread that there were too many wide receiver needy teams not for him to get a multi year deal from someone. But personally, I'd be looking at a one year deal, and if he had better offers on the table for multiple years from other teams, I'm content to go elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

This is solid logic and my only caveat is that this dude is a thoroughbred WR, he has that burning desire to be a WR1. I read an article that claims he shelved the diva attitude -- and I'm sure he has -- but I don't think that desire for being the #1 option on a team ever goes away fully. I don't think the Rams can offer him that with Kupp, Gurley and Woods soaking up targets in front of him.

A place like Chicago, where we literally have NOTHING at WR, can throw money at him (we're 3rd in the league in cap space and that's before we add another $18 million from cutting Glennon) and tell him he'll be the focal point of the offense (or some lazy "You'll be Tyreek Hill in this offense" comparison can be used). Trubisky and Goff are pretty tight from what I understand so I'm sure if Watkins reached out to Goff for his opinion he would get a glowing review.

(can you tell I'm desperate xD:(

2 hours ago, GongKong said:

Id sign him in Cleve. Gordon, Coleman, Watkins, our TEs........hell not too shabby. 

If they ever accidentally find a Q, at least those guys can make plays.

Cap space doesn't matter, we can over pay players. Doesn't matter at all.

I think Cleveland is sitting pretty well if they can hit on a QB this year in the draft. Obviously that seems to be easier said than done, but I do like the look of their offense with something like this:

QB- Darnold

RB- Barkley

WR- Gordon, Coleman, Watkins

TE- Njoku

They also have some talented players on the OL.

Archived