Broncos trade Talib to Rams

49erurtaza

24 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is Talib still a good CB? I thought his play had fallen off?

He's actually fallen off a little - but not too much.  The key Q is, though, will it hold up?  Big, tall CB's, when the decline phase, it happens quickly.   Talib's biggest weakness on the field is that he's vulnerable to crossing routes more & more - but he's still a great ballhawk, route-jumper, and press guy.   Off-coverage he sucks at (as do many of our DB's, it's not what they are good at) - so it's a great fit in Wade Phillip's attack man scheme.  When Wade goes into off-coverage, I'd expect Talib won't fare as well.   One thing that happened last year that is less likely to be a problem in LA - Talib quit on a couple of games (PHI & WAS) - got beat badly, clearly didn't care once they fell behind big, and the game was out of reach.   Before people think I'm throwing shade, I'm not - Talib's rep can't really take any hit that changes ppl's opinions, it's who he is.   Playing for a NFC contender, I have no doubt we won't see that with him in LA.  If he was on a bad team, for sure that would be an issue, but that roster and that locker room, he'll be totally fine there in that respect. 

The reality is DEN's roster is old, top-heavy, and we've got so many holes, we're not a legit 2018 contender.  Elway constructed an awesome roster starting with a legendary 2011 draft, and a 2012-2013 UDFA/Day 3 run that stocked our roster with cheap talent, then kept finding cheap bargain FA's like Manny Sanders (5M a year) & Darian Stewart (2M a year) that kept us contending.  But Elway lost his way in drafting Day 2 since 2011, and on 1st rounders from 2014 on - once we made the SB48, he became a need-based drafter early - and that's robbed us of overall talent.   Once the 2011 draft class were no longer bargains and the bargain FA's had to get extended, the holes became very obvious, after our peak with SB50.   

A lot of our fanbase were in complete denial...until this year.  They see it now.   While Talib's still a top 10 CB, and a great fit for Wade, this was coming no matter what.   Frankly, while a late 5th doesn't seem like much, for all the baggage Talib brings, and the risk of decline, I'm OK with the deal.   We had to turn the page.

I wish the Rams well, and thank Talib - while he's not a good human being, he was a great player for us - and we don't win SB50 without him.   Hope he can help the Rams succeed in their win-now run.   I tip my cap to Snead, he's not afraid to mold the team to fit what Wade Phillips needs - Peters & Talib, and getting rid of Quinn/Ogletree are bold moves, and easy to second-guess if they fail - but they match Phillips' scheme to a T.  I said it before in the Ogletree trade thread - I'd much rather see a GM match the talent to the scheme and not keep guys who are awful fits, if the scheme can't be changed to maximize the talents of the core (the ideal, but I get why LAR couldn't do that with Phillips hired).

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Unless he becomes a massive locker-room cancer or his on-field performance falls off a cliff, I doubt he ends up a 2-year rental.  Talib's contract comes off the books right when Peters would be up for an extension (Peters could even be extended a year early to be honest and the cap-hit hike could just be put off until Talib's contract was off the books to counter-balance).

Talib has no guaranteed money at all - so if his play drops off, he's gone.   Peters is the guy Snead is tying the long-term boat to here, agreed.

One thing: the Rams are getting a solid citizen and role model in Aqib Talib! Don't expect any issues with this class act!

Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started. At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[72] In the early morning of June 5, 2016, Talib was shot in the leg outside a Dallas strip club. He was released from the hospital the same day. [73] It was later revealed that Talib falsified the report, having actually shot himself in the leg and lied to police. [74]

Talib cites Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders as his favorite players as a child.[75]

Legal issues

On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi drive and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol and booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[76][77]

In March 2011, police in Garland, Texas issued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he was accused of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[78] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[79] On June 18, 2012, the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser.[80]

Image result for Aqib Talib

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Talib has no guaranteed money at all - so if his play drops off, he's gone.   Peters is the guy Snead is tying the long-term boat to here, agreed.

I was speaking more to Peter's there, hence why the post I was quoting was talking about "unless Peters only ends up a 2-year rental."

We agree though.  And coincidentally, Talib's play did drop last season; 2016 was his career-best season, 2017 was his second-best.  He allowed just 250 yards against all season (granted, I believe teams were running more against you guys than normal, weren't they?), allowed 0.57 yards/coverage snap which was good for 3rd in the league among players with 166 snaps or more (kind of random number they pulled out, but maybe that was an average among snaps in games across the league or something), and allowed a sub-55% catch-rate against when thrown at.

20 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

he got picked twice by kevin peterson in the rams game.

kevin peterson.

In fairness, it's really easy to overlook Kevin Peterson on the field. I mean, it's Kevin Peterson.

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I was speaking more to Peter's there, hence why the post I was quoting was talking about "unless Peters only ends up a 2-year rental."

We agree though.  And coincidentally, Talib's play did drop last season; 2016 was his career-best season, 2017 was his second-best.  He allowed just 250 yards against all season (granted, I believe teams were running more against you guys than normal, weren't they?), allowed 0.57 yards/coverage snap which was good for 3rd in the league among players with 166 snaps or more (kind of random number they pulled out, but maybe that was an average among snaps in games across the league or something), and allowed a sub-55% catch-rate against when thrown at.

Again, though, context matters.   I can definitely say he was still a great CB - but he's more beatable than before on crossing routes (which was his weakness in prior years, it's more evident now).  I'd also say he mailed it in the 2H of PHI/WAS games - so he's going to grade out a lot worse for the year with those 2 games factored in. 

Still, though, I'd totally agree his play slipped a little - but he was still really good, and in the Wade scheme, it has the greatest chance to hide his weaknesses.  It's also a big risk at his age and body type for decline - and in our case, better to get out a year too early, than a year too late - especially when we wouldn't be contenders with him.

Archived