Dune, (Villeneuve version)

vike daddy

14 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

can anyone confirm/link this? 

Google can. 

Yes you are getting attitude for quitting mafia on me. 

The “Dune” television series prequel at HBO Max has found its new showrunner.

Variety has learned exclusively that Diane Ademu-John has boarded “Dune: The Sisterhood” in the role of writer, showrunner, and executive producer. Jon Spaihts had previously been attached to run the series, but he stepped down in November 2019 to focus on writing the script for the second of the “Dune” reboot films.

The show was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune. It will serve as a prequel to the films.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dune-tv-series-hbo-max-showrunner-diane-ademu-john-1235024854/

• Like 2

22 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Just out of curiosity, is marriage not a thing in their world or is Leto married/widowed but with additional concubines?   I didn’t realize Jessica was a concubine until later in the film. 

In the Dune universe, marriage is more of a political thing, and having a concubine isn't uncommon.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:31 AM, THE DUKE said:

There must have been at least a solid 10 minutes of this movie where Paul is having some sort of vision that may or may not pertain to the future of the story.  Didn't we see Paul die in 2 or 3 of these visions?  And some of the visions included conversations with people who end of dead before that conversation takes place?

The way Paul's prescience works is that he can see all the different possible timelines, so yeah in his visions he sees things that haven't/won't happen.

Chamalet and Isaac are always good, and this is no different. Mamoa's role could have been great but they try to pack so much into this that we don't really get to feel that character's arc like we should have.

Duncan is a much, much more important character than Paul in the later books, so if there are sequels or spinoffs, I would imagine Mamoa will be the star. the Duncan Idaho character has potential to be a huge franchise on its own. 

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:
22 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Just out of curiosity, is marriage not a thing in their world or is Leto married/widowed but with additional concubines?   I didn’t realize Jessica was a concubine until later in the film. 

In the Dune universe, marriage is more of a political thing, and having a concubine isn't uncommon.

I dont remember the lore exactly as I was really into Dune as a child, but I am pretty sure the Bene Gessit (Letos concubine, Pauls mother) often are paired to the ruling leaders of major houses. Paired, but not married. 

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

There must have been at least a solid 10 minutes of this movie where Paul is having some sort of vision that may or may not pertain to the future of the story.  Didn't we see Paul die in 2 or 3 of these visions?  And some of the visions included conversations with people who end of dead before that conversation takes place?

The way Paul's prescience works is that he can see all the different possible timelines, so yeah in his visions he sees things that haven't/won't happen.

z7mheqjbt6771.gif

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Duncan is a much, much more important character than Paul in the later books, so if there are sequels or spinoffs, I would imagine Mamoa will be the star. the Duncan Idaho character has potential to be a huge franchise on its own. 

Except you can't make movies only for people who have read the books, there was nothing in the movie to let us know this.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 9:54 AM, Oregon Ducks said:

Dune was beautiful and was a fairly strict adaption of the book. The visuals and score were absolutely stunning. Some great performances by big name actors, too.

Where it fell a little flat for me, is where the book fell flat. Paul is not likeable or relatable and I wish they would have changed that from the book. Excited for the next one but knowing the limitations that the source material has, I’m not expecting much different than this one - which is a beautiful movie with decent substance, IMO.

Paul is never meant to be a likable character, and you can't really change that if they want to go further with sequels beyond the first book. The fact that he is flawed is the whole premise for the series.

I'd expect the ending of the next movie to be much more satisfying though, and round out his character. 

54 minutes ago, beekay414 said:
  Hide contents

Except, ya know, killing the dude at the end. Kinda tells you that his visions are just that.

What about that suggests alternate timelines?  Psychic maybe, like that guy was talking to someone else and Paul saw it as himself. Hallucinations given the spice and his vision of Zendaya kissing/killing him.  

They also don't really get into how spice (essentially desert LSD) makes interstellar travel possible, but I was ok giving that a pass.  Hyperfuel, or whatever, although i'm not sure how something has that much potential energy AND is consumable, but i'm nitpicking here. Like I said, didn't really have a problem with that, just thought about it now.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

What about that suggests alternate timelines?

It suggests, pretty clearly, for me anyways, that what he sees is nothing more than a vision and has no bearing on whether or not those visions are real. The people are real but the events aren't. 

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

They also don't really get into how spice (essentially desert LSD) makes interstellar travel possible

I don't think it's the spice that makes the travel itself possible, I think it's used as a form of currency allowing for travel to places they wouldn't be able to go without it.

Just now, beekay414 said:

I don't think it's the spice that makes the travel itself possible, I think it's used as a form of currency allowing for travel to places they wouldn't be able to go without it.

That makes more sense, I just remember them saying it was spice that made interstellar travel possible. As a means of currency, something that everybody wants, is a lot more feasible.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That makes more sense, I just remember them saying it was spice that made interstellar travel possible. As a means of currency, something that everybody wants, is a lot more feasible.

I do believe the summary is that spice is the most valuable thing in the galaxy so I always took it as currency based.

Feature adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel, about the son of a noble family entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the galaxy

Though that's a bit cloudy too by calling it the most vital element in the galaxy. Though I think it means more as far as power than anything else.

Edited by beekay414

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

What about that suggests alternate timelines?  Psychic maybe, like that guy was talking to someone else and Paul saw it as himself. Hallucinations given the spice and his vision of Zendaya kissing/killing him.  

They also don't really get into how spice (essentially desert LSD) makes interstellar travel possible, but I was ok giving that a pass.  Hyperfuel, or whatever, although i'm not sure how something has that much potential energy AND is consumable, but i'm nitpicking here. Like I said, didn't really have a problem with that, just thought about it now.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It suggests, pretty clearly, for me anyways, that what he sees is nothing more than a vision and has no bearing on whether or not those visions are real. The people are real but the events aren't. 

Im fairly certain you are both wrong. Spice is like the stone DR Strange has in the sense it allows you to fold time and space itself. Its mystic/magical. 

It also makes people super smart and able to live incredibly long.