The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

With as much talent as there is accumulating in the south and with the bagmen running wild at a few schools down there, OSU won’t stay the #1 class in the 2021 recruiting class for the long haul. It’s shaping to be a great class though. As long as they continue string together top 5 types of classes and keep up the quality player development, they’re in good shape competing for titles. The talent gap is continuing to widen with Ohio State and the rest of the Big Ten. UM finished 2nd in the conference in recruiting and didn’t have a top 100 ranked signee. 

Yeah, we won't be the top class when it's all said and done but they're looking really, really good and it's still so early. You're 100% correct about the gap also. It'll be interesting if their proposal goes through and they allow kids to transfer without penalty. I personally don't like it but I know there are plenty that do. I feel this will level the playing field within the conference quite a bit

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I will laugh if the new transfer rule becomes a thing. If I’m OSU, I’m immediately poaching the smaller schools.

I think it might lead them to landing more guys. A lot of guys might try tOSU and if they can’t start or get major PT then they will transfer. Works well also if tOSU has a major loss due to the draft that maybe a guy from another school transfer. Like what Jackson did 

18 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

See I feel it's the opposite. People won't want to come here bc of PT where they could go somewhere else and play right away. I dunno, both are true it's just which will be more true. 

I hope it doesn't become something

It takes the onus off of recruiting really.  Imagine if Ohio State had a hole at QB last year and could just go "Hey, Jordan Love, want to come compete for a national title and be on TV 10x as much heading into the draft?"  Anytime the big boys have a hole on the roster, they are going to poach the crap out of the mid level schools that have a stud that much better than the rest of their team.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It takes the onus off of recruiting really.  Imagine if Ohio State had a hole at QB last year and could just go "Hey, Jordan Love, want to come compete for a national title and be on TV 10x as much heading into the draft?"  Anytime the big boys have a hole on the roster, they are going to poach the crap out of the mid level schools that have a stud that much better than the rest of their team.

That's a valid point. I'm not a fan of it but that's just an opinion. I can see why people would like it. I just don't want this to become free agency lol. It's one of things I like about college but with everyone transferring and finding loopholes to play immediately, it's kinda already got there. This would just make it easier and happen more often

4 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

That's a valid point. I'm not a fan of it but that's just an opinion. I can see why people would like it. I just don't want this to become free agency lol. It's one of things I like about college but with everyone transferring and finding loopholes to play immediately, it's kinda already got there. This would just make it easier and happen more often

I don't like it, and that's even as a fan of a team on the inside of this oligarchy.  It will be Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama essentially every year, and rotating 4th school amongst LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, and then the occasional PAC team getting a shot.  That's kind of what it has been anyway, but it will just get worse.  If i'm a fan of a good team that is just below the elite, this kills the dream of that magical year of a national championship run.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't like it, and that's even as a fan of a team on the inside of this oligarchy.  It will be Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama essentially every year, and rotating 4th school amongst LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, and then the occasional PAC team getting a shot.  That's kind of what it has been anyway, but it will just get worse.  If i'm a fan of a good team that is just below the elite, this kills the dream of that magical year of a national championship run.

I think this is where getting paid for likeness comes into play as well. Like you said Bama,tOSU, Clemson are going to be the elites. A player might be able to make more money for themselves by saying they are the best player in the AAC/MAC/Mountain West than being one of the better players on tOSU. Also, instead of being buried on the depth chart and hoping you can potentially be a starter, you can go somewhere and be an instant starter and difference-maker. Fields for the best example, do you want to wait another year or go somewhere and be a starter somewhere else. Players now might think its a better gamble to stay at tOSU and compete for a spot on the 2 deep than have to sit out a year before you can play if you cant get the waiver. Now with a one-time freebie, that player will transfer right away and become a player right away. Heck Haskins maybe transfers with a rule like this in place.

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

It takes the onus off of recruiting really. 

IDK, to me, it might really put more importance on recruiting because you might have to really start utilizing your freshman more and more cause the more talented depth players, are now starters for other teams. Big schools/Elite schools might see an uptick in recruiting because kids might take that chance at the dream schools and if they cant make it or another guy develops quicker or what not, they leave after a year

• 2 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-Amir-Riep-Jahsen-Wint-dismissed-Ryan-Day-2020-143730881/

Dismissed from the team by Ryan Day less than 24 hours later. That’s how it should be handled.

Slightly off-topic, but this does add to the need in the defensive backfield. Riep was going to be the starter at slot corner. Wint was garbage. But we lack experience in the defensive backfield, you have to wonder if we might look for a grad transfer.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-Amir-Riep-Jahsen-Wint-dismissed-Ryan-Day-2020-143730881/

Dismissed from the team by Ryan Day less than 24 hours later. That’s how it should be handled.

Slightly off-topic, but this does add to the need in the defensive backfield. Riep was going to be the starter at slot corner. Wint was garbage. But we lack experience in the defensive backfield, you have to wonder if we might look for a grad transfer.

I actually thought Wint got better during the spring but always thought tOSU was too big of a school for his skillset. This was a easy opportunity for Day to get props for dismissing these guys.

The question is, are there any portal guys that are good enough to give a shot this late in the game