The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

This team is really good but not where they need to be yet.  Particularly running the ball and in some spots on defense.  Hard to point to a team better then them right now, and the passing game is definitely the best I've seen it, but I'm not sure they're the total team that they were last season.  At least not yet. 

Good thing is there isn’t a complete team in the nation 

The second half sputter against Rutgers may have been exactly what this team needed.  They got some egg on their face, but it a game they still clearly won.

Shaun Wade looking a lot more suspect at CB than I expected.  Perhaps the slot CB/safety role is what suits his skill set best.

Teague looking more explosive than the first two game, so that's good.  Achilles injuries are tough to get back to 100% from, especially as fast as Teague worked back.  No one is going mistake him for JK Dobbins though.

Olave is just fantastic, but I think Garrett Wilson is in the conversation for best WR in the country.  Njigba and Fleming are coming along nicely as well, although that drop from Fleming was brutal.  Hit him right in the hands in stride and he had a lot of room to run.  Not to mention Jameson Williams who is also looking like a stud.  It is truly an embarrassment of riches at WR right now.

I think our pass coverage is too soft in the flats and short outs.  With the defense they are running I think they are counting on the LB's to get out there quickly but they are also blitzing them as well which is creating holes in those areas.  I haven't seen enough to know specifics, but that was the general impression I got watching the game.

The pass rush isn't bad per se, but it's pretty clear none of them are Chase Young, top half of the 1st rd level off the edge either.  Honestly, the guy I saw flashing most was Tyler Friday from LE.  Maybe Harrison was being doubled, but it didn't seem like he was making a lot of noise.  On a side note, Bresee looks like a stud on Clemson, would have loved it if we could have landed him.  He's going to be a top 5 pick as a 3 tech DT when his time comes as long as he stays healthy.

Got a 70" 4K TV this weekend, and the game looked spectacular on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The pass rush isn't bad per se, but it's pretty clear none of them are Chase Young, top half of the 1st rd level off the edge either.  Honestly, the guy I saw flashing most was Tyler Friday from LE.  Maybe Harrison was being doubled, but it didn't seem like he was making a lot of noise.  On a side note, Bresee looks like a stud on Clemson, would have loved it if we could have landed him.  He's going to be a top 5 pick as a 3 tech DT when his time comes as long as he stays healthy.

-Dude is going to be the next JJ Watt type of player, he will only get better with each rep

-As far as us it looks like our pressure is going to come from the interior (which is more important IMO)

-Taron Vincent flashed 

-Javontae Jean Baptiste has a lot of potential 

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

I think fields is strongly on the verge of being the best Ohio state buckeye ever. If he wins the heisman and leads us to a title, I think he tops that. Already the best QB now

If he has a Joe Burrow season (not talking pure stats) he absolutely would be.

His greatest attribute is his decision making. He takes care of the ball and doesn’t always look for a home run.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I've been very impressed by Fields this year. I was hard on him at times last year b/c he would just go inaccurate on easy passes at times. Granted he hasn't really been challenged this season but he looks a lot better. Future looks bright for this kid!

That throw he made to Olave in the 4th QTR for the TD was insanity. It was a 40 yard rope, splitting 2 defenders, right on the money in the corner of the endzone.

Those are the NFL throws Im talking about when it comes to draft evaluation of him.

Side note: Olave is going to be really really good in the NFL.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

That throw he made to Olave in the 4th QTR for the TD was insanity. It was a 40 yard rope, splitting 2 defenders, right on the money in the corner of the endzone.

Those are the NFL throws Im talking about when it comes to draft evaluation of him.

Side note: Olave is going to be really really good in the NFL.

the guy is making every kind of throw this season. His one TD pass that he made on the run where he put the right amount of touch/loft on it. When it left his hands and the way it was lofted, you for sure thought it was going to be picked off but he threw it perfectly where only Olave could have gotten it.

he had a historic first year last year and he is about to top it, which is crazy. Bout to be the greatest buckeye ever

I have my doubts that we will get through this season without more cancellations on the Ohio State schedule. Maryland definitely had some cases, but it sounds like they canceled on their own. Teams like Maryland really don’t have much incentive to make the game happen. 

Edited by NateDawg