The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Our secondary needs completely overhauled.

However, that was a fantastic effort. Much better than the awful showing against Michigan.

they did take 5 defensive backs this last recruiting cycle, which is a decent amount. 

On 12/29/2022 at 9:43 AM, AkronsWitness said:

find myself screaming at CJ Stroud to RUN at least 5x per game when he gets out of the pocket and there is seemingly 15 yards of open field but he is still sitting there la-di-da going through reads 25 yards downfield. Just GO how do you not see this CJ

I know during the game, I found myself screaming this at him...like "RUN! RUN!, just tuck it and run...holy sh!t what a touchdown pass..."

I want to say at least two of his TD passes, I was screaming for him to take off and run before finding his guy open down field

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Our secondary needs completely overhauled.

However, that was a fantastic effort. Much better than the awful showing against Michigan.

Zero complaints from me on anything from an effort or gameplan standpoint. They even made some adjustments at halftime and shut down the run. Some bad breaks in the fourth quarter or else we are hanging a banner in a week.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Zero complaints from me on anything from an effort or gameplan standpoint. They even made some adjustments at halftime and shut down the run. Some bad breaks in the fourth quarter or else we are hanging a banner in a week.

The philosophy and scheme WORK. Which I knew it would. That was the biggest encouraging thing I witnessed. We lit Georgia up.

We need to be an explosive down the field passing attack. Heck TCU led the NCAA in explosive plays. If we were a ground and pound team like Michigan, Georgia beats us by 2+ TDs.

Just need to fix the secondary.

Edited by candyman93

I 100% put that ending on Day.  He was so aggressive all game and then when we get to the 33 with 24 seconds left he clenches up and does a run and a short out that fell incomplete.  Stay aggressive there and they probably get another 10-15 yards and Ruggles is taking a 30 yard chip shot for the win instead of having to try to blast a 50 yard kick.

JK Johnson hit the portal. Very young, promising CB. Find it strange. Also, today, Cromani McClain was wearing an OSU hat at the UAAA practice and he announced he's signing his NLI in a couple weeks. Not putting much into that though bc he seems like a little bit of a headcase. Timing of him transferring is the only reason I'm even putting an ounce of thought into it. 

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

JK Johnson hit the portal. Very young, promising CB. Find it strange. Also, today, Cromani McClain was wearing an OSU hat at the UAAA practice and he announced he's signing his NLI in a couple weeks. Not putting much into that though bc he seems like a little bit of a headcase. Timing of him transferring is the only reason I'm even putting an ounce of thought into it. 

Meh McClain is an NIL cruitment. OSU isn’t in those ones. They’ve lost some dudes with other teams throwing money at them. The southern teams are playing that game, Ohio state is going to need to make some philosophy changes if there is going to continue to be any sort of level playing field. My guess is it’s more of him watching two of his classmates ahead of him in the depth chart. Burke was bad all season. Jeremy Birmingham who is the most locked in insider said JK almost left for LSU after last season. They are certainly going to need to figure something out in the portal in my opinion after spring practice. Otherwise they are going to need to rely on one of the first year players. DB play sucked this year and it cost them. Up to scores, all they needed was to avoid the big play and wait and Ransom slipped and fell and Georgia scored in like 10 seconds. 

The Jihad Carter pickup is nice. He will fill in for last years portal guy, McCallister. Same role but better athlete. Now we could use a plug and play CB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Meh McClain is an NIL cruitment. OSU isn’t in those ones. They’ve lost some dudes with other teams throwing money at them. The southern teams are playing that game, Ohio state is going to need to make some philosophy changes if there is going to continue to be any sort of level playing field. My guess is it’s more of him watching two of his classmates ahead of him in the depth chart. Burke was bad all season. Jeremy Birmingham who is the most locked in insider said JK almost left for LSU after last season. They are certainly going to need to figure something out in the portal in my opinion after spring practice. Otherwise they are going to need to rely on one of the first year players. DB play sucked this year and it cost them. Up to scores, all they needed was to avoid the big play and wait and Ransom slipped and fell and Georgia scored in like 10 seconds. 

The Jihad Carter pickup is nice. He will fill in for last years portal guy, McCallister. Same role but better athlete. Now we could use a plug and play CB. 

Oh I have absolutely no faith McClain would come here lol. Just thought it was funny he was wearing the hat. Think someone said he lost a bet in practice but who knows. You are right though that he is chasing a bag.

I think we're playing that game also but we're not making a bunch of kids millionaires like Miami is. If I had to guess, they're getting checks from us and allowed to pursue endorsements ala CJ w/ Express and Stover w/ John Deere.

I didn't realize JK almost left for LSU last season. Guess it makes more sense now. Sucks b/c we need depth at the position but we have a couple very promising freshman coming in. Rumors are Kenyatta Jackson and Omari Abor might be leaving the DL as well. I really don't like this new version of college football. I've said I'm against transferring just for the sake of leaving ever since it was announced players would be allowed to and now that we're living in it, I don't like it even more. If there were good reasons (ie coaches leaving, racism, family related stuff to be closer to home etc), I get it but this just giant free-for-all just doesn't settle well w/ me. I guess I'm old school in that sense.

Trying my best to not remember that one play also lol. I remember thinking that they wouldn't have enough time as long as we didn't allow one huge play and then it happened. Sucks b/c we would handle TCU but oh well, in the past now. Hopefully we can make another run this year. McCord or Brown will need to step in right away and play well and luckily they have a couple games to "warm up" before we go to South Bend b/c w/ them getting Hartman, they are a very good looking team.