The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m in pure “show me” mode with this staff and these players. Sawyer to date has been extremely inconsistent and disappointing given his talent, just like Zach Harrison was. 

C.J. Hicks I’ve never been high on, we coached against him and ran all over him for 4 years.

The interior DL under Knowles typically gets road graded and I think the entire identity on both sides is soft finesse and a culture that relies heavily on talent alone and not at all on physicality, toughness, and zero accountability.

I think you're branching away from the topic here though. You're going away from "being drafted" to how well they'll perform. Yes, the two go hand-in-hand and while Sawyer has underperformed, there's no denying he'll be drafted just like Harrison was. 

I'm having a difficult time seeing many people that are starting that won't be drafted when the opportunity arrives. 

To be fair, you did bring up many different years ago I could've been more clear with my comment although '02 was the only time you brought up being drafted as a guideline to their dominance

18 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think you're branching away from the topic here though. You're going away from "being drafted" to how well they'll perform. Yes, the two go hand-in-hand and while Sawyer has underperformed, there's no denying he'll be drafted just like Harrison was. 

I'm having a difficult time seeing many people that are starting that won't be drafted when the opportunity arrives. 

To be fair, you did bring up many different years ago I could've been more clear with my comment although '02 was the only time you brought up being drafted as a guideline to their dominance

Will Smith was a great NFL DE, Wilhelm and Donnie Nickey were 10+ years in the league, Gamble was a Pro Bowl CB, Mike Doss was a great college consensus All American.

On 7/28/2024 at 7:28 PM, MWil23 said:

Every single starter and a good portion of backups on that 2002 defense were drafted, and that ‘05 team was loaded, not to mention those 90s teams.

The entire defensive line and secondary will be drafted. Where it becomes a toss up is at linebacker.

Cody Simon could be drafted. CJ Hicks will get his chance to show what he’s made of.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The entire defensive line and secondary will be drafted. Where it becomes a toss up is at linebacker.

Cody Simon could be drafted. CJ Hicks will get his chance to show what he’s made of.

Regardless, until I see them not get completely road grated, they don’t sniff discussions on being anything of note IMO.

Obviously that’s subject to change if they prove it.

For the first time ever, I can say the Browns and Buckeyes are kinda similar.

I expect dominant defenses.

Massive question marks at QB, offensive line concerns at OT, great RBs, and not sure what we have at WR other than 1 guy.

Shoot we have changes at offensive coordinator too.

Edited by candyman93

On 7/31/2024 at 11:00 AM, candyman93 said:

Massive question marks at QB, offensive line concerns at OT, great RBs, and not sure what we have at WR other than 1 guy.

This is definitely over exaggeration. All of these areas are more than capable. You are make it sound like panic time when it's not close to that.

Edited by bootsy

On 8/1/2024 at 5:34 PM, bootsy said:

This is definitely over exaggeration. All of these areas are more than capable. You are make it sound like panic time when it's not close to that.

True. Ohio State is loaded with 5 stars and they have two sure-fire studs IMO in Howard (upgrade to McCord for sure) and Sayin (elite #1 pick type potential).

• Like 1

I may be in the minority but I think Will Howard is a gamer who isn't afraid of the big stage or afraid to make big throws. And as far as the receivers, technically you are right about the receiver part but I think JJ Smith is as sure a think as you will see in a guy who hasn't played a down yet, and Tate is going to be very good in his own right, they just need reps. 

The OL part is definitely is a concern for me as well, I'm not a Justin Frye fan at all, never have been. He has been a downgrade from coach Stud and as far as OT, I think Simmons should really be good this year, Fryar should be serviceable but I have questions about his footwork. We did bring in Tim Drevno who is pretty celebrated as a coach to help out which should pay dividends. 

As far as OC, we are probably going to see a return in big plays from our passing game due to our dedication to the running game IMO. I wonder how our TE production will look like 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Chip Kelly sucks. Players hate playing for him and the rest of college caught up with his scheme 10 years ago. He’s like the Mike dantoni of football. He’s going to misuse the stars on offense. 

On 8/4/2024 at 2:05 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Chip Kelly sucks. Players hate playing for him and the rest of college caught up with his scheme 10 years ago. He’s like the Mike dantoni of football. He’s going to misuse the stars on offense. 

😏

On 8/4/2024 at 2:05 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

If he ditches the read option where the QB literally never keeps it, that alone would be a boon for the offense.  Either run the play where the QB actually reads it and keeps it if that is the read, or don't run it.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

If he ditches the read option where the QB literally never keeps it, that alone would be a boon for the offense.  Either run the play where the QB actually reads it and keeps it if that is the read, or don't run it.

Howard was reportedly clocked at almost 23 MPH and weighs 235. I think he's going to be running the ball this season especially w/ a very thin RB scholarship room.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Howard was reportedly clocked at almost 23 MPH and weighs 235. I think he's going to be running the ball this season especially w/ a very thin RB scholarship room.

Thin, but top heavy if the top 2 stay relatively healthy.

Sounds like it's Tebow-Time for Howard.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Thin, but top heavy if the top 2 stay relatively healthy.

Sounds like it's Tebow-Time for Howard.

Oh very top heavy. Best 1-2 punch in the country, no doubt. Trey's injury history is concerning though. Just need them to stay healthy. I'll take Tebow time as well. Hell, I'll take 3/4 of Tebow w/ him. That's really all we need him to be w/ the skill positions players we have and the defense we're going to field.

Expectations are through the roof this season. Just hope we can produce the way we should.

• 4 weeks later...

Offense started a little sluggish. OL will need a little work as well but they'll be fine. Howard looked really good. Good pocket presence is galaxies better than McCord was and he was very accurate on the run. 

Defense is still going to be a problem for every team. 

This team should contend especially after we clean up some stuff. 

We have some absolute studs as true freshman as well. JJ is going to be so insanely good even after the ****ty first drive. Peoples will also be very good. A lot of reasons to be optimistic about this team

• Like 1