2017/18 EPL Thread - City Champs

UKTexans

On 11/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, marky mark said:

Was also impressed with Burnley. They were the better side in the first half. Tarkowski played so well before he shoved Ramsey.

Lee Mason was abysmal. He missed the stonewall penalty on Bellerin and it was frustrating watching Burnley players diving all game.

We definitely missed Ozil. Wilshere should've started instead of Iwobi who had an awful game.

Mustafi with another top performance. MOTM

Yeah, the issue was that Wilshere was coming off a miserable midweek game so it wasn't like he'd made the best case for starting until he came in against Burnley.

Burnley played quite well - aside from Ashley Barnes doing his best Raheem Sterling impression and falling down like he was shot every time a stiff breeze came along.

The Burnely fans flat out deserved the end result, though.  I get trying to influence the referee (and God knows I wish the crowds at the Emirates would try it more often), but the constant booing of the official and singing "Same old Arsenal, always cheating" whenever any sort of tackle was made ended up making them look like crybabies.

Of course, if Lee Mason weren't as you'd described him perfectly - I'm still trying to figure out how Ramsey jumps straight up in the air, gets cleaned out by a defender coming in with an elbow, and it's Ramsey who gets whistled for the foul actually made any sense in his head.  As to the uncalled foul on Bellerin that should have resulted in a penalty, both Mason and the line-o were looking right at the challenge and... absolutely nothing, no discussion, nada.

9 hours ago, texans_uk said:

It's a joke. Managers are given 15 minutes in today's game. 

Engh.  I'd wait to see if they actually stick with those managers past May before being too critical.  Everton are in a relegation battle where whatever manager they would have brought in would have (January window aside) had to work with a lot of underachieving dreck - while I don't expect Fat Sam to have them playing any kind of entertaining football, he should be able to right the ship enough with certain players (Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Klassen, etc.) to get them in a position where they can steal enough points to make a worthwhile shot at staying up.

Pardew is clearly not someone you want to build with on a permanent basis, but stabilizing troubled teams and keeping them up is his strength these days.  There just has to be an understanding that he's more caretaker than long-term solution, which I'm not very confident is what West Brom are doing, so I can more understand where you're coming from here.  Fact is, managers like Dyches and Marco Silva aren't going to leave their current (and currently better-performing) clubs mid-season for the likes of a cellar-dwelling Everton or West Brom.  And some of the luster - at least this season - seems to have faded from Eddie Howe's star.

23 hours ago, marky mark said:

Big Sam to Everton and Pardew to West Brom lol

These annoucments are absolutely pathetic. I've always kind of shrugged off the old English manager appointments that keep being pushed by people but these are just hilariously laughable. 

Archived