Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Sell me on Fitzpatrick. He seems like a better Micah Hyde to me. Not convinced he can play outside with those hips and he doesn't strike me as an amazing safety either. Seems kind of positionless 

There's two types of CBs to me (Fitz is a bit of a safety too but solely playing him there isn't utilizing his full skillset) you have guys who cover people and guys who take the ball away. If you're truly elite like the young Richard Sherman, Pat P, etc you do both.

Fitzpatrick is a takeaway guy, like a Mathieu, Woodson, Peters. You don't really want him to man up on a receiver every play because that isn't his strength and you'd rather his eyes be on the QB than a WR. Ideally he's a guy that the QB looks for pre snap, because you could be playing him at the one high, in the box, slot or occasionally the boundary. 

His best fit is with a team that has an island guy and a one high stud (think 2010 Packers w/Tramon and Collins.) That we he can roam and not be too concerned with jumping routes and such. We really have neither lol, but I still wouldn't pass on the chance to draft him.

15 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Is someone with questionable boundary worth the 14th pick though? I'm not saying he wouldn't be an asset but I'm looking for boundary skills at a pick that high. 

But he has boundary skills, just not elite boundary skills.  He can survive out there.  But you want him closer to the ball.  When I see Fitz, I see someone that would thrive in that Woodson role when he won DPOTY.  Smart, quick, will play the run, blitz and cover the slot.  Fitz will do that at a very high level right away.

Flip it around...is a player who just has boundary skills worth the 14'th pick?  If they can't play the run, blitz or cover the slot?

Obviously you want both, but Fitz to me is a pretty special player because of his intelligence.  He will be good wherever you put him. 

I hate going into the draft with a clear need that will dictate what we need to do.

But...in this draft, I'm not hating it as much.

There are a lot of corners, all shapes and sizes, in a lot of different rounds.  If GB were to draft 3 of them in their first 4 picks, with an edge thrown in there, I think they can be just fine.  

I'm prone to freaking out, but I'm not really going to freak out yet.  I'll freak out when Hawkins is the starting #2 corner and Rollins is the starting STAR corner/slot.

After removing players for age (33 or older) and jail time (Sean Smith), we are left with:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Jeremy Lane
Darrelle Revis
Davon House
Marcus Williams
Brice McCain
Lardarious Webb
Marcus Sherels
Alteraun Verner
Byron Maxwell
Leonard Johnson
Robert McClain
Sterling Moore
Asa Jackson
Brandon Boykin
Darryl Morris
Steven Terrell
Breshaud Breeland
Dontae Johnson
Jude Adjei-Barimah
Kenneth Acker
Delvin Breaux
Curtis Riley
Keith Baxter

On 3/20/2018 at 5:01 PM, Packerraymond said:

There's two types of CBs to me (Fitz is a bit of a safety too but solely playing him there isn't utilizing his full skillset) you have guys who cover people and guys who take the ball away. If you're truly elite like the young Richard Sherman, Pat P, etc you do both.

Fitzpatrick is a takeaway guy, like a Mathieu, Woodson, Peters. You don't really want him to man up on a receiver every play because that isn't his strength and you'd rather his eyes be on the QB than a WR. Ideally he's a guy that the QB looks for pre snap, because you could be playing him at the one high, in the box, slot or occasionally the boundary. 

His best fit is with a team that has an island guy and a one high stud (think 2010 Packers w/Tramon and Collins.) That we he can roam and not be too concerned with jumping routes and such. We really have neither lol, but I still wouldn't pass on the chance to draft him.

Good post. I would also just add that Coach Pettine likes to disguise a lot of things on defense and Fitzpatrick's versatility as a hybrid defender would be a great asset.

Sadly, I feel like Washington will ****** him up right under our noses! :(

*edit* Wat?? How is " S N A T C_H " a censored word??

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

After removing players for age (33 or older) and jail time (Sean Smith), we are left with:

Jeremy Lane
Darrelle Revis
Davon House
Marcus Williams
Brice McCain
Lardarious Webb
Marcus Sherels
Alteraun Verner
Byron Maxwell
Leonard Johnson
Robert McClain
Sterling Moore
Asa Jackson
Brandon Boykin
Darryl Morris
Phillip Gaines
Steven Terrell
Breshaud Breeland
Dontae Johnson
Jude Adjei-Barimah
Kenneth Acker
Delvin Breaux
Curtis Riley
Keith Baxter

Would still like one of these FA plus 3 drafted CBs - 2 in the first 5 rounds. I think we’ll be fine, the players we have can improve, but we need competition to spur that on. I’d still like Revis as a camp body. Knows the system and can communicate. Just don’t think we pay what he wants for his avg at best play.

10 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Good post. I would also just add that Coach Pettine likes to disguise a lot of things on defense and Fitzpatrick's versatility as a hybrid defender would be a great asset.

Sadly, I feel like Washington will ****** him up right under our noses! :(

*edit* Wat?? How is " S N A T C_H " a censored word??

I’m surprised it is - but the how shouldn’t be the question. Haha

Without looking, I’m sure you can probably find your answer at Urban Dictionary. 

31 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

Would still like one of these FA plus 3 drafted CBs - 2 in the first 5 rounds. I think we’ll be fine, the players we have can improve, but we need competition to spur that on. I’d still like Revis as a camp body. Knows the system and can communicate. Just don’t think we pay what he wants for his avg at best play.

I'm guessing we signed Williams to be the veteran communicator of Pettine's defense.  This appears to be a good cornerback draft class so we'll probably take at least one kinda high.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Jeremy Lane
Darrelle Revis
Davon House
Marcus Williams
Brice McCain
Lardarious Webb
Marcus Sherels
Alteraun Verner
Byron Maxwell
Leonard Johnson
Robert McClain
Sterling Moore
Asa Jackson
Brandon Boykin
Darryl Morris
Phillip Gaines
Steven Terrell
Breshaud Breeland
Dontae Johnson
Jude Adjei-Barimah
Kenneth Acker
Delvin Breaux
Curtis Riley
Keith Baxter

Thanks for putting this list together, HZ!

Sherels re-signed with Minnesota. 

Jeremy Lane
Darrelle Revis
Davon House
Marcus Williams
Brice McCain
Lardarious Webb
Alteraun Verner
Byron Maxwell
Leonard Johnson
Robert McClain
Sterling Moore
Asa Jackson
Brandon Boykin
Darryl Morris
Phillip Gaines
Steven Terrell
Breshaud Breeland
Dontae Johnson
Jude Adjei-Barimah
Kenneth Acker
Delvin Breaux
Curtis Riley
Keith Baxter

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Sherels re-signed with Minnesota. 

Jeremy Lane
Darrelle Revis
Davon House
Marcus Williams
Brice McCain
Lardarious Webb
Alteraun Verner
Byron Maxwell
Leonard Johnson
Robert McClain
Sterling Moore
Asa Jackson
Brandon Boykin
Darryl Morris
Phillip Gaines
Steven Terrell
Breshaud Breeland
Dontae Johnson
Jude Adjei-Barimah
Kenneth Acker
Delvin Breaux
Curtis Riley
Keith Baxter

Extends Rodgers, gimme Breeland and Jordan Matthews and let’s get to the draft.

Archived