Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

FWIW I saw one mock had us taking Alexander at #14 and their opinion was he had the best combine of all the CB's. 

I like your plan, but that's taking a big risk. These types of guys go really fast in the second round. Bargain starters fly off the board. Other than McFadden and Averett, all those guys are long gone by #45 IMO. 

I saw that mock as well, can't remember where, I see so many. I know several of the guys i mentioned will be gone, but i feel that at least one could be left. The problem with a CB in round one (where you are sure of a good one, though maybe not #14 value), is that what applies to CB applies at least as much to pass rushers. I used to have the priority as OLB, WR, CB in that order, but recently I think there may be more overall value going OLB, CB, WR.

What makes this more complicated is that in terms of the overall ability, I expect that CB Ward (if there) is probably better at his position, than any pass rusher left is at his. Decisions, decisions.

19 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I saw that mock as well, can't remember where, I see so many. I know several of the guys i mentioned will be gone, but i feel that at least one could be left. The problem with a CB in round one (where you are sure of a good one, though maybe not #14 value), is that what applies to CB applies at least as much to pass rushers. I used to have the priority as OLB, WR, CB in that order, but recently I think there may be more overall value going OLB, CB, WR.

What makes this more complicated is that in terms of the overall ability, I expect that CB Ward (if there) is probably better at his position, than any pass rusher left is at his. Decisions, decisions.

Oh trust me, no one wants to go non-corner more than me. Short of a Jalen Ramsey, I think you are wasting #14 by not drafting the fast, explosive Edge that you can never find drafting later as most years. Problem is, we have like 1 CB. You just can't mask that. And nothing will get you talking draft sooner than a horrid secondary. If we end up forced to draft a CB with Edmunds still on the board I'll be sick. But if something major doesn't happen soon, a scenario like that could happen. You can talk BPA all you want, but not with 1 CB on the roster

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Oh trust me, no one wants to go non-corner more than me. Short of a Jalen Ramsey, I think you are wasting #14 by not drafting the fast, explosive Edge that you can never find drafting later as most years. Problem is, we have like 1 CB. You just can't mask that. And nothing will get you talking draft sooner than a horrid secondary. If we end up forced to draft a CB with Edmunds still on the board I'll be sick. 

That's how I feel. I don't want to go CB No. 1 for the 3rd time in 4 years. But I also want to be able to have a defensive backfield that somewhat resembles an NFL caliber unit. 

7 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

This idea that we HAVE to go corner round 1 is ludicrous

In our current state, I disagree. Right now our best CB BY FAR on the roster is an inconsistent 2nd year player coming off shoulder surgery. Let that sink in. 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In our current state, I disagree. Right now our best CB BY FAR on the roster is an inconsistent 2nd year player coming off shoulder surgery. Let that sink in. 

I don't care about our current state. Also, edge is more important than CB. If you can't get pressure, you don't cover. If Landry is on the board, he's the pick. Wouldn't think twice about it either. Day 2 we can grab a CB. The EDGE class is horrible compared to CB.

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

I don't care about our current state. Also, edge is more important than CB. If you can't get pressure, you don't cover. If Landry is on the board, he's the pick. Wouldn't think twice about it either. Day 2 we can grab a CB. The EDGE class is horrible compared to CB.

You wait until day 2 to go CB you have a better chance of getting Quinton Rollins. Of course, a CB at No. 14 is not a guaranteed hit but the probability that player is going to be a good player is a lot higher than No. 45. CB is the far bigger need with Matthews/Perry in house. I'd like to go EDGE too, but I need to see something in FA first at CB. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

You wait until day 2 to go CB you have a better chance of getting Quinton Rollins. Of course, a CB at No. 14 is not a guaranteed hit but the probability that player is going to be a good player is a lot higher than No. 45. CB is the far bigger need with Matthews/Perry in house. I'd like to go EDGE too, but I need to see something in FA first at CB. 

The only issue I have is at 14 I think there's only 1 CB worth that pick and he is most likely already going to be gone. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

The only issue I have is at 14 I think there's only 1 CB worth that pick and he is most likely already going to be gone. 

Sure if that's the case, you don't take a CB just to take one. In our current state at CB, if it's Ward v. Landry, my guess is GB takes 5 seconds in the war room to decide on Ward. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Nah, there's not a big drop off from guys like Alexander and Oliver to a guy like Carlton Davis. Not enough for me to take one over Landry/Davenport. 

I take EDGE at 14 and then use a few of our mid round picks to move up to secure whatever CB is on the board. 

Personally, I think Carlton Davis is the 2nd best CB in this draft behind Ward. Getting him in the 37-45 range along with Landry at 14 sets this defense up long term. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sure if that's the case, you don't take a CB just to take one. In our current state at CB, if it's Ward v. Landry, my guess is GB takes 5 seconds in the war room to decide on Ward. 

And I would love that. Ward has kind of turned into my 1st round crush. 

Archived