Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

My example was quite swayed considering Carter is far and above the rest of tier 2 (Ejiofor, kid from oklahoma who’s name I cant spell, Armstrong,etc) for me. I do agree with your overall point though outside of this one example. I consider Ward/Carter the best first two picks we can realistically make honestly.

Ok...so let's assume that Carter isn't available, would you be comfortable with Okoronkwo/Eojiofor to skip over Landry at 14?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Ok...so let's assume that Carter isn't available, would you be comfortable with Okoronkwo/Eojiofor to skip over Landry at 14?

I think it would work out eventually in Ejiofor’s case but certainly not immediately and not enough to justify passing on Landry. 

If Ward and Landry are both on the board and you have a gun to my head I’m picking Ward anyway though and doing what I gotta do to get Carter. Shouldn’t take too much of a trade up to make happen unless there’s NFL scouts as high on him as I.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

For the Packers, do you think adding a stud EDGE or a stud CB impacts the defense more?

The Packers' Edge starters right now are Matthews and Perry. The CB starters are King and Waters/Pipkins/Hawkins. All things being about equal between Landry and Ward, I would take Ward. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

So you've pretty much told me you're willing to overlook overall value in order to fill a need.  Good to know.

Depending on the need and depending on the disparity between that need and other needs. Not only do I think CB is our greatest need right now, it also happens to be one of the most important positions in the NFL. We have a need a RG and I do not want a guard anytime soon in the early rounds of the draft. We have a need at WR (we've discussed this) and I don't want Ridley. EDGE is a need as well and I want to be able to go EDGE, but the greatest need, at this moment anyways, is CB. Now if you ask me this again in a week when we've hopefully added a body or two to the CB group, maybe I change my mind. 

Finally, I'm not overlooking "overall value" because that assumes Landry has more overall value than Ward. Would I pass on Landry for Alexander or Jackson? No. 

7 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I think it would work out eventually in Ejiofor’s case but certainly not immediately and not enough to justify passing on Landry.

And that's my point.  You have to look at the entire draft, not just your initial pick.  That's why BVA (Best Value Available) is the true concept, not BPA (Best Player Available).

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Depending on the need and depending on the disparity between that need and other needs. Not only do I think CB is our greatest need right now, it also happens to be one of the most important positions in the NFL. We have a need a RG and I do not want a guard anytime soon in the early rounds of the draft. We have a need at WR (we've discussed this) and I don't want Ridley. EDGE is a need as well and I want to be able to go EDGE, but the greatest need, at this moment anyways, is CB. Now if you ask me this again in a week when we've hopefully added a body or two to the CB group, maybe I change my mind. 

Finally, I'm not overlooking "overall value" because that assumes Landry has more overall value than Ward. Would I pass on Landry for Alexander or Jackson? No. 

The impact from a RG and an impact from an EDGE/CB is night and day.  There's a reason why there isn't anyone a fan of taking Nelson despite the belief that he's probably going to be one of the highest rated players in the class.  You have to weigh need, but you have to weigh the overall class.  If the EDGE class is super top-heavy, are you going to pass up on one in the first to take a slightly better CB prospect?

If you prefer Ward over Landry, I have no issues with that.  But you have to be willing to sacrifice the EDGE position.  Are you willing to do that?

Just now, CWood21 said:

The impact from a RG and an impact from an EDGE/CB is night and day.  There's a reason why there isn't anyone a fan of taking Nelson despite the belief that he's probably going to be one of the highest rated players in the class.  You have to weigh need, but you have to weigh the overall class.  If the EDGE class is super top-heavy, are you going to pass up on one in the first to take a slightly better CB prospect?

If you prefer Ward over Landry, I have no issues with that.  But you have to be willing to sacrifice the EDGE position.  Are you willing to do that?

Yes, once again, if our CB group does not significantly improve prior to April 26. Having Ward as a starter opposite King is better value, given the current alternative, than having Landry be a situational guy behind Perry/Matthews. If Ward is gone, fine, take Landry and go CB in the 2nd. Either way, I see a win, but right now, I have to take Ward.  

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We have a need a RG

That need is well after EDGE, CB, WR, developmental TE

There are a few options on the roster for RG already in Spriggs, Murphy, McCray, Patrick, Bulaga (if you want to kick him inside), Amichia

Just now, squire12 said:

That need is well after EDGE, CB, WR, developmental TE

There are a few options on the roster for RG already in Spriggs, Murphy, McCray, Patrick, Bulaga (if you want to kick him inside), Amichia

Well yea, I was just making a point. Technically we lost a starter at RG so we have a hole to fill, but yes, I like our young talent at the guard position and would be fine waiting until day 3 to add a lineman or two for depth. 

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I was just comparing Woodsons role when our defense was great in 09'/10'. Kinda surprised you don't see him in the slot, guy was a monster in the slot in college. He'd be perfect in that role imo.

He played all over but I didn’t th No he looked great in coverage. Better as a safety closing on the line of scrimmage. 

You know what? Aside from maybe House or DRC (why oh why are we not all over DRC right now?), I am getting the distinct feeling that they are going to wait 'til after the draft to sign one of them. We're getting to the point where the difference between those remaining options is negligible, so I expect they will base their decision to sign free-agent options based on what they got out of the draft.

5 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

You know what? Aside from maybe House or DRC (why oh why are we not all over DRC right now?), I am getting the distinct feeling that they are going to wait 'til after the draft to sign one of them. We're getting to the point where the difference between those remaining options is negligible, so I expect they will base their decision to sign free-agent options based on what they got out of the draft.

I just have a feeling at this point we may be in talks about another trade for one. It's just so strange we are waiting so long to not add one.

Archived