Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'm not sure I'd argue that either one has a higher floor or ceiling.  They're different players.  Landry is more of a twitchy, bendy pass rusher while Davenport is a power pig.  If you combined the two of them, you'd have the perfect pass rush prospect.  Just kind of which cup of tea you prefer.  I'm more of a twitchy pass rusher guy.

In general I like speed too but power seems to have more lasting results. Look at Clay. Speed guy and when the wheels start to go it falls off fast. Power players can and seem to last longer

3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

That’s it for me too. He has all the tools to be a great edge but why didn’t VT play him there? Love his athleticism for his size but scares the crap out of me. 

The bench press and broad jump results were a bit of a red flag for me.  Didn't test as well as I did in terms of power as I had hoped.  And no idea about his vertical.

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think if James is there and Ward/Jackson is off the board, you take him, we realllllly horribly need help in the secondary, James can play anywhere on the field not named D-Line. 

I'm not sure you can line him up as a boundary corner.  I'd love for him to be able to do that, but I don't think he's that kind of athlete.  I think he can play that STAR position though.

3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

In general I like speed too but power seems to have more lasting results. Look at Clay. Speed guy and when the wheels start to go it falls off fast. Power players can and seem to last longer

I've generally been of the belief that you can be an effective pass rusher as long as you have the ability to turn the corner, and a counter-move.  If you can't threaten off the edge, you're not going to be a very good pass rusher.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The bench press and broad jump results were a bit of a red flag for me.  Didn't test as well as I did in terms of power as I had hoped.  And no idea about his vertical.

You watch him play and he’s so smooth, quick and fluid. He has great size and all he would need is a little strength. Some days I think yes, I’d take him. Other days I think, great trade opportunity to move back ( in the scenario you listed). 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Ok, so unless you're putting need over value, you go with the guy whose going to have the bigger impact.  But let's move onto that one, do you trust the second tier EDGE (think Lorenzo Carter or Ogbo Okoronwko) or CB (Isaiah Oliver or Carlton Davis) more?

Generally the second-tier CB group (i.e. not as many solid EDGE guys). It goes back to the original question though. I say no doubt Landry will be available. I'd be shocked if he goes before 14. OTOH, I'll be surprised if Ward is there at 14. If the need on our team is equal (which right now, our NEED leans CB), but even if equal, I'd go Ward. I sense a bigger difference in Ward vs. 2nd tier CB than Landry vs. 2nd tier EDGE even if I think the 2nd tier CB group > 2nd tier EDGE group. 

Put in into a simple number terminology. Ward might be a 8 and Landry a 7. A 2nd tier CB might be a 5 and a 2nd tier EDGE guy a 3. Which do you prefer, the greater sum (Landry + 2nd tier CB = 12) or the best player (Ward =8)?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure you can line him up as a boundary corner.  I'd love for him to be able to do that, but I don't think he's that kind of athlete.  I think he can play that STAR position though.

Agree. We need help at CB, not safety. James is a safety. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Ya I don't think he'll play Boundary unless he absolutely has to. Right now I think we just need a playmaker in this secondary besides HaHa, Derwin will give you that. Think he can give you that Charles Woodson type of player we are sorely lacking since he left. If the Packers can find that serviceable boundary opposite King, I'm thinking he would be a good fit at that pick. 

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

Ya I don't think he'll play Boundary unless he absolutely has to. Right now I think we just need a playmaker in this secondary besides HaHa, Derwin will give you that. Think he can give you that Charles Woodson type of player we are sorely lacking since he left. If the Packers can find that serviceable boundary opposite King, I'm thinking he would be a good fit at that pick. 

Derwin is certainly in play for us I think. Just hard for me to see anything but CB right now given where we are at. In a few weeks, hopefully our depth chart is different and that should free us up to go elsewhere in the 1st round. Hopefully we have to make that tough decision to choose between at least two of these four: Ward, Landry, James, Davenport. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Put in into a simple number terminology. Ward might be a 8 and Landry a 7. A 2nd tier CB might be a 5 and a 2nd tier EDGE guy a 3. Which do you prefer, the greater sum (Landry + 2nd tier CB = 12) or the best player (Ward =8)?

If your looking for a Wife and are ready to settle down you take the 7 who is also ready before taking the 8 who’s still wild and not ready to settle down. I know, terrible analogy. 

When you factor in Landry’s junior year, I think he too is an 8. That’s how I grade them. 

Landry - first choice

Ward - 2nd best player

Davenport - 2nd choice based on need. 

If Carson Wentz was in this draft and fell to 14 with Ward on the table, would you take Wentz? No you’d take Ward. 

Need does factor in for me. 

5 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Woodson was a corner, James is not a corner. Don’t even see him as a slot. 

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Right now, my board consists of: Harold Landry, Marcus Davenport, and Denzel Ward.  And probably in that order.  If those three are off the board, I'm probably looking to trade down.  I like Derwin James, but I'm wondering if he's too much of a luxury given our situation.

Like Davenport a lot too but think hes surely gone. Same reason I didn’t bother listing James. Frankly not landing one of Landry or Ward would be very disappointing and right now I find it more likely than not.

Archived