Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

5 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

You know what? Aside from maybe House or DRC (why oh why are we not all over DRC right now?), I am getting the distinct feeling that they are going to wait 'til after the draft to sign one of them. We're getting to the point where the difference between those remaining options is negligible, so I expect they will base their decision to sign free-agent options based on what they got out of the draft.

As long as you know that you can sign him, I wouldn't be opposed to waiting on DRC. I just think he'll have more teams looking to sign him. 

4 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

We have a 6'3 freak athlete already so Gaines would never have to guard the tallest dude on the field.

Depends if we are following the Wolff premise of no short corners. Something about they don't hold up well in the cold in December, I can't recall exactly. Not bothered about Gaines seems highly injury prone.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The impact from a RG and an impact from an EDGE/CB is night and day.  There's a reason why there isn't anyone a fan of taking Nelson despite the belief that he's probably going to be one of the highest rated players in the class.  You have to weigh need, but you have to weigh the overall class.  If the EDGE class is super top-heavy, are you going to pass up on one in the first to take a slightly better CB prospect?

If you prefer Ward over Landry, I have no issues with that.  But you have to be willing to sacrifice the EDGE position.  Are you willing to do that?

Are you saying that Matthews and Perry are not good players anymore, in fact are worse than Pipkins/Waters/Hawkins?

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Are you saying that Matthews and Perry are not good players anymore, in fact are worse than Pipkins/Waters/Hawkins?

No. He's saying this corner class is deeper than edge. Even though corner is a bigger need, We can get a 1st tier edge in the 1st, and a second tier CB in the 2nd as opposed to a 1st tier corner and 3rd tier edge in the 2nd. 

I sure would like to see if the Pack can bring back TWill and one of DRC/House on the cheap and then get into the draft and see if Ward is sitting there available- if not, take the best EDGE guy there and look for 2nd tier CBs with upside after that. See if they can find a couple of Mike McKenzies in this draft.

The CBs are not going to have to cover long if you have the dline and the OLB group the Pack has if they hit on a Landry at the top. However, they need more then just a 2nd year player with promise and Rookie 2nd tier CBs coming out of the draft to cover NFL caliber WRs. And they will only be fine if Jones pans out at S, Brice / Evans continue to ascend and HHCD bounces back. The whole backend needs a couple of vets IMO to bring these guys along a bit. That, IMO, is where you get the value out of TWill and DRC potential signing- moreso then just what they are going to show on the field.

Hopefully the market and draft really fall our way here the next several weeks. I just have a bad feeling there is going to be quite a run on what EDGE and CB prospects are available because they are so crucial on any defense now. If not-  that offensive makeover needs to be magic and capture the form of the playoff teams last year- just score 33 plus every game and hope the defense can make one big play each game lol.

If you look at 2nd round corners, any of these could be a target. Josh Jackson (Iowa) Carlton Davis (Auburn), Jaire Alexander (Louisville), Isiah Oliver (Colorado), Mike Hughes (Central Florida). Some may put McFadden or Averett in that group. I see it as extremely unlikely all will be gone by #45, but it's a bit more complicated than that. If the Packers really like one of these guys, the may want to trade up a few spots for them. Going up half a dozen spots in round 2, is not prohibitively expensive (though I wouldn't want to pay to move up much further than that). However,  if they like several guys equally, they may be happy to wait until #45 rolls around and take the best guy left, assuming they even go CB in round 2, because they could easily go elsewhere with that specific pick.

45 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

I sure would like to see if the Pack can bring back TWill and one of DRC/House on the cheap and then get into the draft and see if Ward is sitting there available- if not, take the best EDGE guy there and look for 2nd tier CBs with upside after that. See if they can find a couple of Mike McKenzies in this draft.

The CBs are not going to have to cover long if you have the dline and the OLB group the Pack has if they hit on a Landry at the top. However, they need more then just a 2nd year player with promise and Rookie 2nd tier CBs coming out of the draft to cover NFL caliber WRs. And they will only be fine if Jones pans out at S, Brice / Evans continue to ascend and HHCD bounces back. The whole backend needs a couple of vets IMO to bring these guys along a bit. That, IMO, is where you get the value out of TWill and DRC potential signing- moreso then just what they are going to show on the field.

Hopefully the market and draft really fall our way here the next several weeks. I just have a bad feeling there is going to be quite a run on what EDGE and CB prospects are available because they are so crucial on any defense now. If not-  that offensive makeover needs to be magic and capture the form of the playoff teams last year- just score 33 plus every game and hope the defense can make one big play each game lol.

This is how I feel as well. Hell I'd love to add both Twill AND DRC. Then go edge/edge in the draft. I prefer youth at pass rusher and am ok with bets on the back-end (especially savvy ones with a great front 7 in front of them).

10 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If you look at 2nd round corners, any of these could be a target. Josh Jackson (Iowa) Carlton Davis (Auburn), Jaire Alexander (Louisville), Isiah Oliver (Colorado), Mike Hughes (Central Florida). Some may put McFadden or Averett in that group. I see it as extremely unlikely all will be gone by #45, but it's a bit more complicated than that. If the Packers really like one of these guys, the may want to trade up a few spots for them. Going up half a dozen spots in round 2, is not prohibitively expensive. However,  if they like several guys equally, they may be happy to wait until #45 rolls around and take the best guy left.

Wow. If Mike Hughes is still available on day 2 I am seriously considering him even if you get Ward in the first. I think he is going to be a very good cover slot guy at the next level. Once he gets over the rookie missteps I think he is going to be a playmaker for a D from that slot coverage position. I do not see him as a boundary prospect for the Pack. I do not like him matched up on the outside or on a TE right now- but I think he will be quite good against any slot WR with a little seasoning.

If you get Ward in the first, I am not sure you double up at all and Davis in the second because I think he is a boundary guy only. Do not see him excelling when he has to cover someone in the slot.

Two very distinct prospects with specific roles there IMO. If you go edge at 1, you hope Davis is there in 2 I guess. If you go Ward in the first, I think Hughes is going to be just as tempting as any edge option available there.

Alexander I am willing to pass on given the Pack's situation this year- I just do not know how much of an impact you get in year one at all. I think he is a guy that is going to get torched in his rookie year but will eventually turn into a player once he adds some strength. I think he could become a complete CB though that can play slot or boundary once he adds strength. High football IQ from what I see when he is on the field. I think Oliver is more of a project as well.

Given what you have there- if the Pack goes Edge in the first, I am hoping Davis is there in the second based on your options. If the Pack goes Ward in the first, I am hoping they consider Hughes if he makes it that far.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is how I feel as well. Hell I'd love to add both Twill AND DRC. Then go edge/edge in the draft. I prefer youth at pass rusher and am ok with bets on the back-end (especially savvy ones with a great front 7 in front of them).

Savy vets like those two behind a pass rush will likely end up in two things: INTs or big plays going the other way. If the Pack offense is going to be retooled and elite with Philbin coming back with MM- I like the elite pass rush with savy CB format. You only need 1-2 plays out of the defense each game to secure a win with that team format.

If the offense is going to only be good (not elite), I think you need a defense that is going to get you some stops in addition to a turnover or two.

Given the complete radio silence of the last several days by the Packers, a part of me has this feeling we are trying to trade for a CB. No idea who it could be, but when trades get announced you commonly see the phrase "the two sides have been working on this for days [weeks]" and I just get the feeling the Packers have turned their primary focus to the trade market for a CB. I just cannot rationalize the idea that GB would go into the draft not more equipped at CB. I know Gute gave his "we like our young prospects" comment but that's bologna if you ask me, just one of those things you say at a press conference. He knows we need to upgrade at CB. MM has to know we need to upgrade and it's his job on the line so I can't imagine him sitting still at the table. He wants the best roster on the field because it increases his chances of being our coach next year. I think GB was sincere about going after Breeland and then Johnson and when neither signed, I think GB knew they had to look into other "avenues" not including the draft. 

Maybe nothing happens, but it wouldn't surprise me to see another "holy ****" type of move from GB yet this offseason prior to April 26. 

Archived