Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Maybe they just want to give Breeland a couple weeks to see how that all pans out and that lines up well with DRC's timeline too.

If you jump in on DRC and TWill now, you are likely overpaying while those players see if a team jumps out of desperation. I am sure the GM has his number and will act accordingly at the price in which he values the player at the right time. If it works out, fine. If not, I doubt they are losing out on a player that is going to push them over the top at this juncture. I just do not see DRC at that level anymore - a player that needs the right players around him to make him relevant now.

36 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If you look at 2nd round corners, any of these could be a target. Josh Jackson (Iowa) Carlton Davis (Auburn), Jaire Alexander (Louisville), Isiah Oliver (Colorado), Mike Hughes (Central Florida). Some may put McFadden or Averett in that group. I see it as extremely unlikely all will be gone by #45, but it's a bit more complicated than that. If the Packers really like one of these guys, the may want to trade up a few spots for them. Going up half a dozen spots in round 2, is not prohibitively expensive (though I wouldn't want to pay to move up much further than that). However,  if they like several guys equally, they may be happy to wait until #45 rolls around and take the best guy left, assuming they even go CB in round 2, because they could easily go elsewhere with that specific pick.

FWIW I saw one mock had us taking Alexander at #14 and their opinion was he had the best combine of all the CB's. 

I like your plan, but that's taking a big risk. These types of guys go really fast in the second round. Bargain starters fly off the board. Other than McFadden and Averett, all those guys are long gone by #45 IMO. 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Given the complete radio silence of the last several days by the Packers, a part of me has this feeling we are trying to trade for a CB. No idea who it could be, but when trades get announced you commonly see the phrase "the two sides have been working on this for days [weeks]" and I just get the feeling the Packers have turned their primary focus to the trade market for a CB. I just cannot rationalize the idea that GB would go into the draft not more equipped at CB. I know Gute gave his "we like our young prospects" comment but that's bologna if you ask me, just one of those things you say at a press conference. He knows we need to upgrade at CB. MM has to know we need to upgrade and it's his job on the line so I can't imagine him sitting still at the table. He wants the best roster on the field because it increases his chances of being our coach next year. I think GB was sincere about going after Breeland and then Johnson and when neither signed, I think GB knew they had to look into other "avenues" not including the draft. 

Maybe nothing happens, but it wouldn't surprise me to see another "holy ****" type of move from GB yet this offseason prior to April 26. 

I agree, didn't he kind of elude to that in his presser saying that they are looking at every angle to get a cornerback in i.e. just not free agency but possibly a trade. It does seem he wants premium players not just bodies. 

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I agree, didn't he kind of elude to that in his presser saying that they are looking at every angle to get a cornerback in i.e. just not free agency but possibly a trade. It does seem he wants premium players not just bodies. 

I mean they were apparently willing to invest a ton of money into Fuller with that deal so that tells me we are not afraid to spend what we need to spend to get the right CB(s). 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I mean they were apparently willing to invest a ton of money into Fuller with that deal so that tells me we are not afraid to spend what we need to spend to get the right CB(s). 

Thats what I saw, if the player is right he is willing to throw some dough at him

11 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

If you jump in on DRC and TWill now, you are likely overpaying while those players see if a team jumps out of desperation. I am sure the GM has his number and will act accordingly at the price in which he values the player at the right time. If it works out, fine. If not, I doubt they are losing out on a player that is going to push them over the top at this juncture. I just do not see DRC at that level anymore - a player that needs the right players around him to make him relevant now.

At what level? Breeland and Gaines are like 6/10 dudes. TWill and DRC are like 4s and House is a 2. DRC is thinking about retirement still too and makes his decision in a couple weeks.

If a trade was going down here are the notable free agent cornerbacks in 2019. If you could get Roby that would be quite nice.

Kareem Jackson
Age 29 
52.2 PFF rating
73 tackles, 1 sack, 1 int, 1 ff

Jason Verrett
Age 26 
44 PFF Rating
Didn't play 2017

Bradley Roby
Age 25 
84 PFF rating
42 tackles, 1 sack, 1 int, 1 ff

Roland Darby
Age 24
84.2 PFF rating
34 tackles, 3 ints in 8 games

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Given the complete radio silence of the last several days by the Packers, a part of me has this feeling we are trying to trade for a CB. No idea who it could be, but when trades get announced you commonly see the phrase "the two sides have been working on this for days [weeks]" and I just get the feeling the Packers have turned their primary focus to the trade market for a CB. I just cannot rationalize the idea that GB would go into the draft not more equipped at CB. I know Gute gave his "we like our young prospects" comment but that's bologna if you ask me, just one of those things you say at a press conference. He knows we need to upgrade at CB. MM has to know we need to upgrade and it's his job on the line so I can't imagine him sitting still at the table. He wants the best roster on the field because it increases his chances of being our coach next year. I think GB was sincere about going after Breeland and then Johnson and when neither signed, I think GB knew they had to look into other "avenues" not including the draft. 

Maybe nothing happens, but it wouldn't surprise me to see another "holy ****" type of move from GB yet this offseason prior to April 26. 

Good take. I imagine that some deals are more easily made after the draft. If a team scores on a prospect they had been targeting, it could make a pricey veteran suddenly expendable.

Can anyone remember a trade involving a pick for a player happening DURING the draft? The moving parts of such a deal would have to be worked out prior to the draft one would think, but I can't recall such a thing happening. In other words, could a team hoping for a particular QB to fall send a cornerback and a pick to us in exchange for #14 on Draft Day?

2 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Good take. I imagine that some deals are more easily made after the draft. If a team scores on a prospect they had been targeting, it could make a pricey veteran suddenly expendable.

Can anyone remember a trade involving a pick for a player happening DURING the draft? The moving parts of such a deal would have to be worked out prior to the draft one would think, but I can't recall such a thing happening. In other words, could a team hoping for a particular QB to fall send a cornerback and a pick to us in exchange for #14 on Draft Day?

I suppose it could be done theoretically, but they'd have to either move forward with lightning fast negotiations within the pick time window, OR have something worked out beforehand. For instance, "IF someone we really need starts dropping we'll send you so and so for the pick".

I'd think it would almost have to be the latter scenario of a contingency plan due to the shortened pick timer. 

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

Was Randy Moss traded to New England during the 2007 draft?

Another one: Bettis to Pittsburgh after LA Rams drafted a new RB with their 6th pick.

Who did they take. I know I can Google it but I'm lazy

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Who did they take. I know I can Google it but I'm lazy

The Los Angeles Rams selected Jerome Bettis in the 1993 draft but three years later, the St. Louis Rams were looking to get away from the smashmouth style Bettis brought to the field. With the sixth pick in the 1996 draft they selected Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips thus making Bettis expendable. The Steelers swooped in and got Bettis and a third-round pick for a second and fourth rounder.

The two running backs wound up as polar opposites. Phillips would play in less than two seasons with the Rams before being cut due to attitude problems. Considered one of the biggest draft busts of all-time, Phillips had multiple run-ins with the law and is now serving a 30-year prison sentence for assault. Bettis, on the other hand, finished his career as the fifth all-time leader in rushing yards and helped bring the Super Bowl back to Pittsburgh for the first time in 26 years before retiring.

After the 2006 NFL season, many around the league thought that Randy Moss was over the hill, mainly because he had just come off his worst year as a pro. His best days looked to be behind him, but that didn’t stop Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots from trying to take him off Oakland’s hands during the 2007 draft.

Throughout the draft, the two teams discussed several possible trade options, before finally reaching a deal. The Raiders agreed to send Moss to New England for a fourth-round pick that year, with which they drafted cornerback John Bowie. While Moss had been somewhat of a troublemaker in the black hole that is Oakland, he immediately changed his tune once he found out he would be playing for a team that hadn’t posted a losing record since 2000. His excitement was apparent when he said, “I’m still in awe that I’m a part of this organization. I think that (Belichick) is the kind of coach that can motivate me. He has a proven track record.”

To further prove that he was a changed player, Moss changed his number and took a pay cut while restructuring his contract with the Patriots. It turned out to be a very smart move by him and the New England organization, as history was made that season. Not only did Moss set an NFL record for receiving touchdowns with 23, but QB Tom Brady also broke the single season record for touchdown passes with 50 while leading New England to the first ever 16-0 regular season record.

Archived