Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Give me Chubb, Ward, James, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Davenport or LVE ahead of him.

Sell me on Fitzpatrick. He seems like a better Micah Hyde to me. Not convinced he can play outside with those hips and he doesn't strike me as an amazing safety either. Seems kind of positionless 

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I never said I didn't want him, he's just not a top 5-10 player in this draft. He's Mr 3 Cone. If he comes in at 7.00 or higher we're talking about him as a reach. He's somewhere around the 15-20th player in the draft who has some helium in this board because of him Combine. Pass down only player right now, can't hand fight and set the edge like a Nick Perry. More like Clay, has to penetrate or an OL can easily control him. Chubb can do it all, that's the top 5 player. Davenport is rare, he's closer to the top 10. Landry will be a good pass rusher for a long time in this league, but as far as defensive players go, give me Chubb, Ward, James, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Davenport or LVE ahead of him.

If memory serves, you like Takh last year, right?  I wasn't all over him, but I liked that he feet never stopped.  He didn't play much this past year, but when he did, I saw a pretty darned good edge prospect...better than the tape I watched of him.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Landry vs. Takh......

I'm not disagreeing with you at all about where Landry should be drafted...just very curious about how you compare and contrast the two players.  I think I was a little off concerning Takh, I think he will be much better than I thought coming out.

19 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Sell me on Fitzpatrick. He seems like a better Micah Hyde to me. Not convinced he can play outside with those hips and he doesn't strike me as an amazing safety either. Seems kind of positionless 

Micah Hyde was a pro bowl safety and 2nd team all pro. I'd take a "better" version of that in the Packers secondary any day.

2 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Micah Hyde was a pro bowl safety and 2nd team all pro. I'd take a "better" version of that in the Packers secondary any day.

We all know who Micah Hyde is. No doubt a solid player but one fluky season where he doubled his career average interception total doesn't turn him into a perennial all-pro type player. 

8 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

We all know who Micah Hyde is. No doubt a solid player but one fluky season where he doubled his career average interception total doesn't turn him into a perennial all-pro type player. 

One fluky season or a guy misused by capers like Casey Hayward? We'll see.

47 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Put Micah out of your mind.

Look at Fitz for what he is...a great secondary player.  He can cover, he can blitz, he can play space and he can man up.  He's the whole package and he loves football.  Great IQ, and a leader.

I think he could excel as a slot corner, Ala Woodson.

I think he can flip out and play the boundary corner, but you won't be impressed with that play as you will with him from the slot causing havoc.  

I think he can play any safety position and he will erase a lot of mistakes.

'Bama found ways to get him around the ball very often as he just causes havoc.

You need a strong slot guy in the league...having one like him that will play the run and blitz as well as cover would be an amazing thing to have.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Look at Fitz for what he is...a great secondary player.  He can cover, he can blitz, he can play space and he can man up.  He's the whole package and he loves football.  Great IQ, and a leader.

I think he can flip out and play the boundary corner, but you won't be impressed with that play as you will with him from the slot causing havoc.  

You need a strong slot guy in the league...having one like him that will play the run and blitz as well as cover would be an amazing thing to have.

You're not wrong that you need a slot guy, but the physical skillset needed on the boundary is rarer, and Fitzpatrick didn't look nearly the same caliber of player that he did in the slot. That generally points to an issue with pure coverage skills. 

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

+1.  He has the ability to process the play pre snap.  Isn't the athlete James is, but when you're a half step ahead to start with?

If he's there at 14 he's gotta be the pick.  Makes those around him better.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm going with this!  If Randall and Burnett go on to post big seasons for new teams I think it's fair to say the green bay packers are being run by morons.

Or were. Different folks in charge of defense now

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

If memory serves, you like Takh last year, right?  I wasn't all over him, but I liked that he feet never stopped.  He didn't play much this past year, but when he did, I saw a pretty darned good edge prospect...better than the tape I watched of him.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Landry vs. Takh......

I'm not disagreeing with you at all about where Landry should be drafted...just very curious about how you compare and contrast the two players.  I think I was a little off concerning Takh, I think he will be much better than I thought coming out.

Was not a big Takk guy. Landry is a better player. Takk is stiff, Landry is a pretty fluid guy. Loved Barnett last year, he graded out a smidge higher for me than Landry. He went 14, so again I have no problems with Landry at 14 unless the board gives us a gift.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're not wrong that you need a slot guy, but the physical skillset needed on the boundary is rarer, and Fitzpatrick didn't look nearly the same caliber of player that he did in the slot. That generally points to an issue with pure coverage skills. 

Very much agree.  If you put Fitz out wide, I'm not sure you are in love with the results.  You can do that, flip him wide, but you want him inside more around the ball, not in pure coverage.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Was not a big Takk guy. Landry is a better player. Takk is stiff, Landry is a pretty fluid guy. Loved Barnett last year, he graded out a smidge higher for me than Landry. He went 14, so again I have no problems with Landry at 14 unless the board gives us a gift.

So my memory didn't "serve".  It happens.  :)  

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Very much agree.  If you put Fitz out wide, I'm not sure you are in love with the results.  You can do that, flip him wide, but you want him inside more around the ball, not in pure coverage.

Is someone with questionable boundary worth the 14th pick though? I'm not saying he wouldn't be an asset but I'm looking for boundary skills at a pick that high. 

Archived