Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

On 3/20/2018 at 5:01 PM, Packerraymond said:

Fitzpatrick is a takeaway guy, like a Mathieu, Woodson, Peters.

Is he though?  I guess if you believe his 2016 INT total wasn't just a flash in the pan, I guess you could make that argument.  But if you're skeptical, that's not really his game IMO.

On 3/20/2018 at 2:30 PM, Packerraymond said:

I never said I didn't want him, he's just not a top 5-10 player in this draft. He's Mr 3 Cone. If he comes in at 7.00 or higher we're talking about him as a reach. He's somewhere around the 15-20th player in the draft who has some helium in this board because of him Combine. Pass down only player right now, can't hand fight and set the edge like a Nick Perry. More like Clay, has to penetrate or an OL can easily control him. Chubb can do it all, that's the top 5 player. Davenport is rare, he's closer to the top 10. Landry will be a good pass rusher for a long time in this league, but as far as defensive players go, give me Chubb, Ward, James, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Davenport or LVE ahead of him.

Does anyone have him as a top 5 player?  I mean, I'd consider myself to be higher on him than most but if he's a top 10 player he's damn near the bottom of that ten.  Probably somewhere in that 8-15 range.  He's definitely more than the 15-20 best player unless you're putting a premium on floors IMO.

You talk about him being a "pass down only" player and doesn't set the edge like Nick Perry, but I'd challenge you to find an EDGE prospect who has the bend that Harold Landry has and is capable of setting the edge like Nick Perry.  And you can't include top 5 picks in that.  That list isn't very long I can assure you that.

The Packers currently have Clay and Perry + a bunch of guys. Need at least 3 talented pass rushers. What are they looking for ?

Let's say that Landry is a pass rush only guy at this point in his development...He'd be OLB3 and drafted to eventually replace Clay's role ?

In the blurb below, they mention moving the premier pass rusher around to match the strong side. If that's the case, then do you want 2 Clays, 2 Perry's or one of each ? What are they looking for ?

"I don't want to pigeon-hole Pettine because I think he'll do whatever his personnel dictates, but he has a reputation for playing his defensive linemen in an under look and using the strong side linebacker as his defense's premier pass rusher. It gives the appearance of a 3-4 with the strong side linebacker opposite the tight end, which means the strong side linebacker will move to the right and left sides of the formation"

More here

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/featured-stories/xs-os-mike-pettine-defense-front-7/

On 3/27/2018 at 6:54 AM, Gopher Trace said:

Good post. I would also just add that Coach Pettine likes to disguise a lot of things on defense and Fitzpatrick's versatility as a hybrid defender would be a great asset.

Sadly, I feel like Washington will ****** him up right under our noses! :(

*edit* Wat?? How is " S N A T C_H " a censored word??

There was a long time when we couldn't write **** Vermeil, **** Butkus, or **** Wadd either.

Edit: Stiil can't I guess...

8 hours ago, blueswedeshoes said:

There was a long time when we couldn't write **** Vermeil, **** Butkus, or **** Wadd either.

Edit: Stiil can't I guess...

Your probably both flagged as sexual deviants in the “forum code”. 

List of remaining CBs:

Delvin Breaux - What do the injuries look like?

Bashaud Breeland - Is his foot going to fall off?

Bryce Callahan - Slot only?

Davon House - Old, though probably the most likely option

Dontae Johnson - Terrible

Josh Johnson - Playing in Canada

Jeremy Lane - Terrible last year

Byron Maxwell - Inconsistent as hell

Brice McCain - Terrible

Terrance Newman - Ancient

Sean Smith - Going to jail

Marcus Williams - Bad CB/Mediocre Safety

Brandon Boykin - Not even in the league anymore

Mike Hilton - Slot only

Leonard Johnson - Terrible

Robert McClain - Terrible

Domonique Rodgers Cromartie - Bad at CB last year, suspended until coach fired, announced he was moving to safety in 2018 and then cut. 

Shamarko Thomas - Safety

Alteraunn Verner - WIll turn 30 this year, barely played last year

TJ Ward - Is a safety

I figure there's not going to be any movement on the free agency front until the Draft.  Depending on who they get day 1 and 2 will probably drive who they sign.  If they can get a top tier CB in the first round then they'll probably sign either Reid or Vaccaro.  If James falls, then they'll probably go with one if not two of the best remaining FA or work a trade (GB has lots of "Draft Capital").  If they go pas rusher they probably sign both a Safety and CB in FA.

April 26th can't come fast enough.   

19 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

I figure there's not going to be any movement on the free agency front until the Draft.  Depending on who they get day 1 and 2 will probably drive who they sign.  If they can get a top tier CB in the first round then they'll probably sign either Reid or Vaccaro.  If James falls, then they'll probably go with one if not two of the best remaining FA or work a trade (GB has lots of "Draft Capital").  If they go pas rusher they probably sign both a Safety and CB in FA.

April 26th can't come fast enough.   

I agree. I suspect the Packers are done with free agency until the draft. Partly because who's left at CB is either an injury concern, or no better than who they already have on the roster. And partly because they want to see how the draft breaks for them. I think your summary is about right. Somebody will drop to 14, they just don't know who. Whoever drops will start a cascade of decisions (pick that player, trade down, make a draft day trade for a player at a position of need, go back to free agency after the draft hoping that some team will cut someone because of who that team was able to draft, etc.). It's not over, but there won't be much to talk about in free agency for the next month.

Not sure why Revis is not on the list here. I still think he has some left to offer especially as a movable chess piece at safety/slot/corner.

Why he hasn't signed with anyone yet is probably delibrate. He is known for having a very business-like approach to free agency and negotiations. Last year he waited until the last possible moment to sign with a team. He got to avoid training camp by doing this. I suspect he will attempt to do this again.

23 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Sign Smith. Even on work release with a tracker ankle bracelet it's an upgrade

After all, Wisconsin is the home of the work release "Huber Law". Named after the Huber Brewery in Monroe, WI.  The old jail (now a bar) was located across the street from the brewery and used the incarcerated to work during the day.  File this one under Had to happen in Wisconsin.

Archived