Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

4 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Nah, there's not a big drop off from guys like Alexander and Oliver to a guy like Carlton Davis. Not enough for me to take one over Landry/Davenport. 

I take EDGE at 14 and then use a few of our mid round picks to move up to secure whatever CB is on the board. 

Personally, I think Carlton Davis is the 2nd best CB in this draft behind Ward. Getting him in the 37-45 range along with Landry at 14 sets this defense up long term. 

Curious, what was Landry's 10-yard split? 

4 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Nah, there's not a big drop off from guys like Alexander and Oliver to a guy like Carlton Davis. Not enough for me to take one over Landry/Davenport. 

I take EDGE at 14 and then use a few of our mid round picks to move up to secure whatever CB is on the board. 

Personally, I think Carlton Davis is the 2nd best CB in this draft behind Ward. Getting him in the 37-45 range along with Landry at 14 sets this defense up long term. 

I have a feeling there is going to be a pretty big run on corners in the late first early 2nd round. Its going to take a trade up to get one of them. (Just a hunch)

20 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I have a feeling there is going to be a pretty big run on corners in the late first early 2nd round. Its going to take a trade up to get one of them. (Just a hunch)

They've definitely got the ammo to pull it off. If it's their plan to grab a decent EDGE out of this draft, their gonna have to do exactly that. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

In my perfect world, GB can trade down, still get Landry, then use the picks received to move up in rounds 2 and 4 to take good corners.

I would be fine with GB moving back if there is no difference maker at 14. But if they feel there is a difference maker there, take him. WR, CB, EDGE. You don't get chances for difference makers too often. Need to grab one when you can. 

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

In my perfect world, GB can trade down, still get Landry, then use the picks received to move up in rounds 2 and 4 to take good corners.

That would bee my best case scenario,  but GB better be absolutely sure they can still get him. 

19 hours ago, packfanfb said:

That's how I feel. I don't want to go CB No. 1 for the 3rd time in 4 years. But I also want to be able to have a defensive backfield that somewhat resembles an NFL caliber unit. 

Its just a depressing situation.

You should never go into a draft forced into drafting a particular position. The whole Randall thing is so annoying - if they could have somehow sorted out their differences with him to get a cheap year out of him (and then probably got a comp pick worth more than Kizer) we wouldn't be forced into this.

You can't keep drafting one position. You can't keep drafting defense - offense has to be a priority (not the priority but a priority) in this draft or you are left with regressing players on bad contracts on one side of the ball. We don't have a RG, we are banking on Bulaga's knee holding out at RT. We have a bunch of 'maybe they will be good but probably wont' at receiver and we need to draft a young dynamic TE.

For all the talk of trading up, we can't trade away anything from the first 2 days and I would ideally want a couple of linemen, probably a TE/WR (depending on what we do earlier) and probably more secondary depth in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Trade away the 6ths and 7ths to their hearts content but that probably doesn't get you far enough up the draft to make it worthwhile unless someone really drops.

8 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Its just a depressing situation.

You should never go into a draft forced into drafting a particular position. The whole Randall thing is so annoying - if they could have somehow sorted out their differences with him to get a cheap year out of him (and then probably got a comp pick worth more than Kizer) we wouldn't be forced into this.

You can't keep drafting one position. You can't keep drafting defense - offense has to be a priority (not the priority but a priority) in this draft or you are left with regressing players on bad contracts on one side of the ball. We don't have a RG, we are banking on Bulaga's knee holding out at RT. We have a bunch of 'maybe they will be good but probably wont' at receiver and we need to draft a young dynamic TE.

For all the talk of trading up, we can't trade away anything from the first 2 days and I would ideally want a couple of linemen, probably a TE/WR (depending on what we do earlier) and probably more secondary depth in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Trade away the 6ths and 7ths to their hearts content but that probably doesn't get you far enough up the draft to make it worthwhile unless someone really drops.

There's a broader - inside the locker room / organization - story that we've not learned in totality.

This: Keep him and ".....get a cheap year out of him....." - happens all the time across the league.

There's reasons this guy was jettisoned (IMO) that we dont have in complete/comprehensive form and they're above and beyond what I at least consider to be his coverage problems. 

58 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

I would be fine with GB moving back if there is no difference maker at 14. But if they feel there is a difference maker there, take him. WR, CB, EDGE. You don't get chances for difference makers too often. Need to grab one when you can. 

Is Landry a difference maker to you?  Or Davenport?  In many mocks and big boards, Landry isn't even in the first two rounds.  So while I may view him as a difference maker (and maybe even you), I'm unsure if the NFL feels that way.  Davenport, I see him from above us, to the end of round one.  Again, unsure if that is a difference maker.

I'd be pretty happy with a trade down to the early 20's and taking whatever is there, so long as extra picks come our way.  I like the depth of this draft, but outside of a top 9 or top 10, I don't see much in the way of slam dunks.  I do like the value in rounds 2-4, though.

There are lots of corners that I view similarly....couple edges...multiple WR's.  I'd like to shop a lot in rounds 2-4.  

28 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Is Landry a difference maker to you?  Or Davenport?  In many mocks and big boards, Landry isn't even in the first two rounds.  So while I may view him as a difference maker (and maybe even you), I'm unsure if the NFL feels that way.  Davenport, I see him from above us, to the end of round one.  Again, unsure if that is a difference maker.

I'd be pretty happy with a trade down to the early 20's and taking whatever is there, so long as extra picks come our way.  I like the depth of this draft, but outside of a top 9 or top 10, I don't see much in the way of slam dunks.  I do like the value in rounds 2-4, though.

There are lots of corners that I view similarly....couple edges...multiple WR's.  I'd like to shop a lot in rounds 2-4.  

It's not that I personally think Landry is a bad prospect by any means, but IDK he's just that shiny prospect that's so easy to fall in love with athletically but still scares me. There's just something about it that spooks me but it's probably just a dumb fear.

21 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

It's not that I personally think Landry is a bad prospect by any means, but IDK he's just that shiny prospect that's so easy to fall in love with athletically but still scares me. There's just something about it that spooks me but it's probably just a dumb fear.

I don't think it is a dumb fear at all, Norm.  I think many in the profession share the fear.

To me, he is a bright shiny object that I'm very much in love with.  He has an elite first step and he has a very high motor.  You will always get effort with that guy.  And long arms.  If I look at TJ Watt on college film versus Landry, I'd take Landry every time.  I didn't see anything elite in TJ, but the kid was a known hard worker with a great motor.  I see that elite trait in Landry, a trait that you can't teach.  Quick twitch get off.  He measure good, not too light, not too heavy.  And he has that relentless nature to him that I love to see.

I see it, but I'm unsure if others do, that's why I see him all over the draft board.  I'm fine taking him at #14 to be very clear, but I think GB can trade down some and still get him.  That's ideal as it allows GB to then move around the next few rounds targeting corners and maybe a WR that they like.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think it is a dumb fear at all, Norm.  I think many in the profession share the fear.

To me, he is a bright shiny object that I'm very much in love with.  He has an elite first step and he has a very high motor.  You will always get effort with that guy.  And long arms.  If I look at TJ Watt on college film versus Landry, I'd take Landry every time.  I didn't see anything elite in TJ, but the kid was a known hard worker with a great motor.  I see that elite trait in Landry, a trait that you can't teach.  Quick twitch get off.  He measure good, not too light, not too heavy.  And he has that relentless nature to him that I love to see.

I see it, but I'm unsure if others do, that's why I see him all over the draft board.  I'm fine taking him at #14 to be very clear, but I think GB can trade down some and still get him.  That's ideal as it allows GB to then move around the next few rounds targeting corners and maybe a WR that they like.

We've read that Pettine really likes versatility.  Landry is the complete opposite of that.  He's kind of a one trick pony, one very good trick.  I don't think we're locked into one position for the first round, but I do think it will be defense.  I'm not ruling out Vita Vea either though.  Philly rode a deep DL to the super bowl.  Their DBs were average, but their DL kicked A**.  I still hold out hope that Fitzpatrick falls to us because it sounds like teams can't decide what his best position is and he's not the athlete James is. 

Hey Dubz41,

Check out Landry's combine numbers to that of Irvin from a few years ago.  Landry moves really well.  Good enough to put into space if you need it.

But here is where I'm at with him...maybe it "sells" you a little bit...  :)

Landry has an elite first step with quick twitch athleticism.  The more he moves at the quarterback, the better off you are as a team.  The more he drops, the less you are getting out of that first step and quick twitch ability.  Point being, when you have a guy with an elite trait, play to the strength of that elite trait.  

Strong pass rush can cover up a weak secondary.

Our D-line is stacked already.  Don't sleep on Adams, and Lowry has progressed nicely every year.  That's 5 deep there.  GB needs Edges and corners.

Archived