Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

2 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

I never said he was better per say. My argument is/was that Fackrell has had more than enough chances to prove anything. Gilbert should've been on the field more for us to know what he is. For whatever reason he was never given that opportunity

The GB coaching staff sees these players every day in practice.  Gilbert had opportunities to show what he can do to those individuals.

The person in your avatar knew that concept as well as anyone....seems a bit ironic you feel differently.

13 hours ago, Donzo said:

Really?

They both played the last two games. Gilbert had one tackle- 1... Fackrell had five tackles and a sack in those two games.

What did the players "realize" after that?

Don't know where you got your stats from? Week 17 v. Detroit, Gilbert had a sack and 2 tackles. Fackrell had 2 tackles. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712310det.htm

Fackrell also played in 26 regular season games before that. All I am saying is Fackrell should not be on the field over guys with potential. You guys obviously have opposing views which is perfectly fine. If Pettine can fix him, more power to him. That would be great!

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The GB coaching staff sees these players every day in practice.  Gilbert had opportunities to show what he can do to those individuals.

The person in your avatar knew that concept as well as anyone....seems a bit ironic you feel differently.

Although I agree with this take as well some players are just better game day than they are in practice. I do think their should be absolutely no safe positions in this OLB group. Anyone from Perry on down should be replaceable if the talent is somehow better. 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

And the coaching staff made a mistake IMO. Fackrell was a premium pick ,they gave him his opportunities and now I think it's time for someone else to play. What is so crazy about that?

2 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

And the coaching staff made a mistake IMO. Fackrell was a premium pick ,they gave him his opportunities and now I think it's time for someone else to play. What is so crazy about that?

Nothing crazy about it, actually.  If they draft someone to compete for his job, and subsequently beat him out and replace him, then I’m totally on board. That’s the way it should work.  If they don’t think Fackrell is a liability and they don’t draft to replace him, then let’s just hope he makes a significant jump this season.

8 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

Calling a 3rd round pick a premium pick is extremely generous.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, cannondale said:

I think we can get a WR that can be used this year. Maybe even start. That's premium enough for me

The only way a rookie WR is going to start game one for this offense is if he has Megatron or Julio Jones type talent.  I don't see that in this draft class much less the third round.  If history is any indicator it's going to take two or three seasons for a WR to develop in our offense.  It's doubtful a rookie would contribute more than the guys already there this year.

8 hours ago, Apex said:

The only way a rookie WR is going to start game one for this offense is if he has Megatron or Julio Jones type talent.  I don't see that in this draft class much less the third round.  If history is any indicator it's going to take two or three seasons for a WR to develop in our offense.  It's doubtful a rookie would contribute more than the guys already there this year.

History is no indicator. The room has been deeper and some guys have earned plenty of rookie reps if they can digest the playbook.

11 hours ago, spilltray said:

History is no indicator. 

If you say so.  Seems to me that between learning McCarthys offense and getting on the same page and gaining ARod's trust takes a season or two.

Archived