2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

14 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Funny thing was that Gruden said it when speaking of analytics. Ppl are using it to criticize the moves we are making. Not trying to compare us to the patriots, but don’t they have a blocking fullback on their roster. Nothing wrong with trying to have a balanced offense. Do ppl actually think Jon Gruden is going to have a run first team? Think we will be balanced and game plan according to our opponent.

+1. Even when we had the Gannon aerial attack we utilized Wheatley/Crockett behind Ritchie. Its about having a diverse roster that allows for a wide range of personnel packages.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Right. He's a consequential player. He will play the vast majority of the snaps in 2017 barring injury.

Solid is still a massive upgrade at LB from last year. Thats what makes me like the move. Short term deal that fills a starting spot with a solid tho unspectacular player

6 hours ago, Madleg81 said:

I'm still mixed about Jordy, but Martin is the one that I just can't get behind.  Why even bring him in?  What does he add that we don't already have and because we already have 2 similar style backs, we also know the limits of those types of backs.  He's basically DeAndre Washington.  Martin is stocky, compact, not overly elusive and not even known for being a receving back.  He's, to me at this point, has lesser value as a 3rd down back compared to Richard, and just an older version of Washington.

And a point I made on the draft thread is why add Martin instead of just finding someone in the draft with the class that's coming out?  I don't know if there is a plan or not to get a guy in the draft but if there is one, then why add Martin at all and if there isn't a plan to add young RB because of having Martin, then that is more head scratching.

This is deep RB class and we can find great value in the 3rd or 4th rd who could have RB1 ability....or at least bring more upside to the table than Martin.

If adding Martin winds up pushing out either Washington or Richard, to me you don't go older with guys who have similar skill sets....and if by having Martin means we pass on any RB prospect in this year's draft, then to me that's just dumb.

I'm trying to put the picture together here. The staff and coach openly said young guys have to step up. Sign older players like Giacomini and Martin. I believe the hope is that they pose a threat to the young players, enough to spur them into stepping up their game. It adds up reasonably well. I am certain that the staff would like to see Sharpe, Richard, Washington beat out Giacomini and Martin for jobs and snaps. If you like them but want more from them, you aren't genuinely looking to sign a straight out replacement. But you can't exactly leave them unchallenged either, or they'll be the same guys they were before. 

All I am posing is the idea that each signing could easily carry with it a different ideology than another signing. Fans tend to think of it all as linear - signing better players. But often players are signed to fit roles better, shift scheme, add dimensions on field and in locker room, or spur improvement indirectly, or any number of other attempted plans at attacking the many ways a team can become better.

2 hours ago, holyghost said:

I'm trying to put the picture together here. The staff and coach openly said young guys have to step up. Sign older players like Giacomini and Martin. I believe the hope is that they pose a threat to the young players, enough to spur them into stepping up their game. It adds up reasonably well. I am certain that the staff would like to see Sharpe, Richard, Washington beat out Giacomini and Martin for jobs and snaps. If you like them but want more from them, you aren't genuinely looking to sign a straight out replacement. But you can't exactly leave them unchallenged either, or they'll be the same guys they were before. 

All I am posing is the idea that each signing could easily carry with it a different ideology than another signing. Fans tend to think of it all as linear - signing better players. But often players are signed to fit roles better, shift scheme, add dimensions on field and in locker room, or spur improvement indirectly, or any number of other attempted plans at attacking the many ways a team can become better.

This is 100% why Jordy was signed. High character, extremely intelligent, been in a complex scheme his whole career utilizing option routes, hot route audibles, and diverse personnel packages. His role will essentially be what Rice's role was when Gruden brought him over imo.

37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm surprised they brought him back.

I was hoping we would get younger this offseason, that has not happened.  I sure hope RN holds a clipboard for most of the year bc he was a liability last season.  

I feel that our roster is closer to obtaining their AARP cards than competing in a Super Bowl.  We need to nail this draft and have GC and Obi step up big time to compete for a playoff spot.  

23 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I was hoping we would get younger this offseason, that has not happened.  I sure hope RN holds a clipboard for most of the year bc he was a liability last season.  

I feel that our roster is closer to obtaining their AARP cards than competing in a Super Bowl.  We need to nail this draft and have GC and Obi step up big time to compete for a playoff spot.  

I'm a little more optimistic. It's not the current train of thought around here and I may be the only one but on re-watching a few of the 2016 and 2017 games I think we'll actually be closer this season to the 2016 team than the 2017 vintage. I think the truth is we're not quite as good as the 12-4 record showed but are nowhere near as bad as the 6-10 record last season. We'll go as Carr goes and I feel even with average coaching he's a franchise QB and top 10 QB in this league and I'm expecting around a 10-6 season and a wildcard type season.

I honestly feel FA was solid, adding depth and making sure we don't have gaping holes to allow us to be more flexible in our draft. I'm expecting solid contributions from maybe 2 draftees but if we get a little lucky and hit on 3 or 4 good young rookies I honestly feel we'll be the class of the AFC West.

Archived