2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Certainly have Gruden's stamp would you agree?

A few do. Like Martin and Nelson. But you can also make the case that Reggie has made similar moves in the past.

For a team with our needs considering personal depth and scheme some of the moves make sense for anyone.

Conclusion. They are working together. Gruden is the coach that will decide the scheme and develop guys. Reggie is the gm that scouts, negotiates and signs them. Of course both have staffs they rely on as well. 

3 hours ago, Madleg81 said:

This guy has left us waiting at the alter TWICE!!! Sorry but I hope where ever he ends up, it's an epic fail...yeah I'm bitter.

If him setting up a visit, not even visiting, got you’re hopes up that much, that’s on you. 

It was pretty evident that it was a long shot to land him. Best to not get too low/high when regarding FA. Let it play itself out. 

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

If him setting up a visit, not even visiting, got you’re hopes up that much, that’s on you. 

It was pretty evident that it was a long shot to land him. Best to not get too low/high when regarding FA. Let it play itself out. 

He didn't just get my hopes up, I would say he also got the organization's hopes up too....or else why would it even make news if they weren't anticipating a sit down as well?

It's not like I got overly excited about rumors that had zero cred.  And the organization let him use us a second time drive up the interest, so is that really on me for thinking the team maybe had a chance or whoever leaked the news making it seem as if we did?

Funny thing is I haven't seen many other reports about players "canceling a visit".  Not saying that it hasn't happened because I know it has but it's a little embarrasing that we get as much attention for a canceled meeting as we do a signing.

damn, the thought of Mack and Suh on the same DL had me going. Cant lie lol

but lets be real, Suh is an "I Guy", who isn't worried about wins and losses, he just wants to clock as much loot as possible.

29 minutes ago, Geezy said:

But lets be real, Suh is an "I Guy", who isn't worried about wins and losses, he just wants to clock as much loot as possible.

Meh, his other three suitors were all playoff teams. We were the weakest of the teams who showed real interest. On defense we have Khalil Mack and that's it. We are also a lame duck team in the worst stadium/facilities in the NFL.

And every player should rack up as much money as they can while they can. I like that Suh is real about that's what he wants, it's refreshing.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

A few do. Like Martin and Nelson. But you can also make the case that Reggie has made similar moves in the past.

Which are on his side of the ball. That's what concerns me is Gruden picking these types for his offense. 

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Which are on his side of the ball. That's what concerns me is Gruden picking these types for his offense. 

If you want to be concerned about everything you can be before the draft or

before you know all the cap #s or

before you know who is on the roster final or

before you know how the offense will even use them, that's your deal.

9 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

For a team with our needs considering personal depth and scheme some of the moves make sense for anyone.

Conclusion. They are working together. Gruden is the coach that will decide the scheme and develop guys. Reggie is the gm that scouts, negotiates and signs them. Of course both have staffs they rely on as well. 

I'm sure they are. No different than previous coaching staffs.

One thing I do see a pattern in is the high character guys coming in. I would speculate that with all the rumours circling and then no doubt Gruden finding out when he got here that there was something deeply wrong about the culture. I'd guess that was a factor in the Nelson over Crabtree signing and it seems most of the FAs so far come with endorsements about their characters. That might also explain the sheer quantity of depth that has been brought in.  Bring in a load of pros who will work hard and set an example to try and steer back the mentality of a seemingly fairly broken group. 

10 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

If you want to be concerned about everything you can be before the draft or

before you know all the cap #s or

before you know who is on the roster final or

before you know how the offense will even use them, that's your deal.

I'll own that. This is a place of discussion. Am I jumping the gun seeing as it's only March, sure? It will be an ongoing conversation. 

Currently, we're in FA period. Which I'm giving a C to date. Average to below average signings all around. The offense right now, I don't like the roster at all outside the interior Oline, Carr and Cooper. Maybe that changes with the draft.

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Most of these moves I still think are Reggie McKenzie;
Jordy Nelson - Reggie went hard after, Randall Cobb when he was a FA, I think this is more of the same. I also think Crabs locker room was more of a story then we know
 Doug Martin  - MJD, Trent Richardson, feel like very similar signings to me, low risk signings that had success in the past * in the past not for us
Gilchrist, Whitehead, Melvin - all seem like cheap players with some potential

everyone else seems like ST and depth.

I honestly think all of these moves would have been made with or without Gruden. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'll own that. This is a place of discussion. Am I jumping the gun seeing as it's only March, sure? It will be an ongoing conversation. 

Currently, we're in FA period. Which I'm giving a C to date. Average to below average signings all around. The offense right now, I don't like the roster at all outside the interior Oline, Carr and Cooper. Maybe that changes with the draft.

To be fair there wasn't much out there and what was got vastly overpaid and those teams next year or two will be hamstrung a bit by that. We are setup to be in good shape moving forward and gave some of the younger guys multiple years. We've all all complained about lack of NFL talent depth and they got some at LB which has been our weakest depth position. CB is still an area of concern but we got a little deeper there too. This will also be addressed in the Draft I'm sure as we may draft two.

Archived