2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

On 24/03/2018 at 6:31 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Remaining 3rd wave Free Agents who would fit the program 

WR: J Matthews, Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Brice Butler, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Markus Wheaton

Edge Rusher: K Ealy, P McPhee, Elvis Dummerville, Robert Ayers, Dwight Freeney. Junior Galette , Willie Young, Connor Barwin,

DT: J Hankins, Terry Mcdaniel

LB: Derrick Johnson, N Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, Kevin Minter, Gerald Hodges,

CB: DRC, Delvin Breaux, Bashaun Breeland, Jeremy Lane, Pacman Jones, Dontae Johnson, Byron Maxwell, Davon House, Kenny Vaccaro 

Now I am surprised we haven't even looked closely at Jordan Matthews or apparently had him in for at least a visit, seems like the type of player we might look at and thought he'd have a lot more interest given the stature of some of the early WR contracts given for basically promising or potential based receivers.

There's still a number of solid guys there who could easily make a roster and contribute.

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Now I am surprised we haven't even looked closely at Jordan Matthews or apparently had him in for at least a visit, seems like the type of player we might look at and thought he'd have a lot more interest given the stature of some of the early WR contracts given for basically promising or potential based receivers.

There's still a number of solid guys there who could easily make a roster and contribute.

I'm not sure where he is in his recovery.  Have to remember that he had 3 surgeries last year.

Just now, SilverNBlackFan said:

Operation Get Old in full effect

12 players over 30 thus far and counting......

Hope they draft well, because the turnover is going to be massive in the next 2 years or so. Old and slow, but..........at least they have vet savvy and "can teach the system" which is apparently the company line right now behind all these moves. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hope they draft well, because the turnover is going to be massive in the next 2 years or so. Old and slow, but..........at least they have vet savvy and "can teach the system" which is apparently the company line right now behind all these moves. 

I guess we could have signed so many future pro bowlers for the vet minimum instead...

Not in love with all of these moves either but none of these guys are guaranteed to make it through camp. Lots of young guys on this team that need mentoring. I’m just wondering where that guy for the dline is because I think that is where we need it most,

I don't necessarily mind each of these old guy moves in a vacuum. For instance, I don't mind having a system guy around like Leon Hall or Reggie Nelson. Mike Zimmer has had Terrance Newman around, and he was too old like 6 years ago. There is good reason for it. 

But when you put them all together - Nelson, Hall (if he signs), Giacomini, Martin is a little much. Especially when coupled with guys that we will depend on like Jordy Nelson and then add on the already on the roster older guys like Lynch, Penn, J. Cook. It's just too many. 

The optimist in me thinks that they are just covering for draft, and the ones who play positions of the high draft picks will be the first go. Hopefully that's about half of them.

9 minutes ago, mct288 said:

I don't necessarily mind each of these old guy moves in a vacuum. For instance, I don't mind having a system guy around like Leon Hall or Reggie Nelson. Mike Zimmer has had Terrance Newman around, and he was too old like 6 years ago. There is good reason for it. 

But when you put them all together - Nelson, Hall (if he signs), Giacomini, Martin is a little much. Especially when coupled with guys that we will depend on like Jordy Nelson and then add on the already on the roster older guys like Lynch, Penn, J. Cook. It's just too many. 

The optimist in me thinks that they are just covering for draft, and the ones who play positions of the high draft picks will be the first go. Hopefully that's about half of them.

All going to come down to the creation of the 53 man roster IMO. If these vets are retained at expense of younger players with more upside, then it's a problem. 

The draft will be telling IMO as to the direction of the team. This defense is still a mess.

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This defense is still a mess.

It was the offense just last week!

Anyway, we're signing a ton of FAs because our roster was bad. We'll be lucky if we get 3 early contributors from the draft and we didn't have much space to pursue the top FAs this offseason. So we bring the guys we can afford to compete for depth spots. If the guys already on the roster or some rookies are better in TC, those FAs can be cut. In previous years, we just hoped the young guys would develop and didn't bring competition (numerous examples on the DL, LB and CB). Now, we're acting to create competition. This season our day 3 picks and UDFAs might have to actually fight to earn their roster spot. Pretty sure there was a discussion about the likes of Dexter McDonald and Co not being pushed off the roster not too long ago. Moves like these put those guys on notice.

19 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Shareece Wright and Josh Johnson signed for vet minimum with 0 guaranteed according to overthecap.

Wright has a 90K roster bonus due week 1. So only if he makes the team. Johnson has a per game roster bonus. Clear as day they're camp competition.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Good to know I wasn't overly crazy thinking about this as well. Nothing wrong with signing 1 or 2 year contributors. But sure seems like more than usual.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I thought if Gruden was gonna take it back to his days  here in the late 90s-early 2000s, it would be the winning. Just looks like more relying on old guys. Many of these moves don't seem very Reggie like. 

I really don't get the hand wringing over the FAs. Like. Yeah. They're old. But they're going to help the coaching staff teach and then probably not make the roster anyways. We don't have the cap space to compete with the ridiculousness that was this FA period

The one that annoys me most is failing to get another WR once we let Patterson go. Would have loved to find a capable WR3

Archived