New football league, the AAF, debuts next year

navysaintsfan

2 hours ago, Roninho said:

Not sure what the business model is. I just don't see the upside, it will always be a 3rd league behind nfl and ncaa. I just don't see it being paid by tv rights and attendance.

Only way i see something working in the US is if it is an official development league of the NFL and the nfl franchises run (=pay for) it.

Maybe, just maybe i see a shot if you go outside of the US and you are an investor for the long run. Invest 10+ years in a college football system in Europe. As in you finance the college teams for the next decade in return for ownership of the media rights. At least then you'd invest in 2 markets that have not been opened in europe ('pro' college sports and american football). You have to wonder about the potential, but at least it's not saturated as in the US. You'd also be nicely positioned when the NFL starts its London franchise. Would still be a long shot to make money on this investment though.

They are following the usfl business model, before they made the idiotic decision to go h2h with the nfl.  That was a very successful business model.  They arent competing with the NFL or the NCAA, they are competing with Arena Football.  The fact that they will be playing real football on a real football field may give them a leg up on the Arena League in terms of sponsors and talent.  

56 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

They are following the usfl business model, before they made the idiotic decision to go h2h with the nfl.  That was a very successful business model.  They arent competing with the NFL or the NCAA, they are competing with Arena Football.  The fact that they will be playing real football on a real football field may give them a leg up on the Arena League in terms of sponsors and talent.  

And the AFL's revival this year has so far been a pretty solid success for them. The new Albany team has sold out all it's home games already.

• 7 months later...

So with the XFL releasing the cities that get teams I checked and realized the AAF had released their cities/teams and checked a few pages back/searches and didn't find an update here.

https://aaf.com/

Atlanta Legends

Birmingham Iron

Orlando Apollos

Memphis express

Arizona Hotshots

Salt Lake Stallions

San Antonio Commanders

San Diego Fleet

This is something that has a legitimate shot of working out.  This isn’t meant to compete with the NFL, it’s meant to be similar to the G-League in the NBA.  And the future of no kickoffs may already be here with their new stipulation.  I’m interested to see how this works out, because surely this will be better than when the scabs played

On 12/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, TXsteeler said:

Atlanta Legends

Birmingham Iron

Orlando Apollos

Memphis express

Arizona Hotshots

Salt Lake Stallions

San Antonio Commanders

San Diego Fleet

damn, hard choice between a Utah team or the ironically best Monopoly piece

classic-monopoly-iron-piece-game-marker-

Archived