2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Antonio Callaway is leaving the Florida Gators, and  applying for the 2018 draft.  Probably the best wide receiver in the draft this upcoming year. He was suspended for the entire year by the Gators. As great a player as he is, he a MAJOR HEAD CASE.

I think we have more pressing needs than WR. That's not to say I wouldn't take one if the value is there but if I had to put a target range for one I'd say 4th or later. 

2 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think we have more pressing needs than WR. That's not to say I wouldn't take one if the value is there but if I had to put a target range for one I'd say 4th or later. 

We sure do, only reason I mention Callaway was because he was a big deal down here in Florida.  Such a talent and such a fool.

Guy to keep an eye on is Drew Lock. If we don’t address the QB issue before the draft, I’d be a fan of re-signing McCown while (continuing) to develop Hack and Lock, giving us a Hack vs. Lock showdown in 2019 (I’d trade Petty)

Lock is extremely talented; arguably the 2nd most talented passer behind Josh Allen. He's similar to what we have in McCown and Hackenberg in terms of pocket passers with sheer athleticism and arm strength, but Lock hasn't developed the scars and bad habits that Hack did in college. He needs coaching, but he can play. I think he can become the type of player that McCown has been for the offense right now over the course of his career, which should be considered a good thing. 

If he declares, Lock can go anywhere from pick 10-40 imo.

Is there a guarantee Cousins can play better than McCown has this year? I'm not even joking. 

Bring back McCown. Draft his heir apparent, bring in more competition for Petty, dump Hackenberg to whomever wants him.

That seems to be logical, solid strategy at this point.

21 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Is there a guarantee Cousins can play better than McCown has this year? I'm not even joking. 

Bring back McCown. Draft his heir apparent, bring in more competition for Petty, dump Hackenberg to whomever wants him.

There's no guarantee that McCown can be better than he has been this year. In fact, it's unlikely. 

Cousins has been a better player than McCown for 3 years straight and is younger. Chances are he can be consistently as good, if not better, than McCown has been this year. 

27 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Noooo. We've seen this movie before with Fitzpatrick. You have to bring in a new starter. McCown is 38 and even though I love his leadership Mac was able to sell us on this year, NOT next year that would be a HUGE mistake. Thanks for a competitive year but my god do we need to move forward elsewhere.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Guy to keep an eye on is Drew Lock. If we don’t address the QB issue before the draft, I’d be a fan of re-signing McCown while (continuing) to develop Hack and Lock, giving us a Hack vs. Lock showdown in 2019 (I’d trade Petty)

Lock is extremely talented; arguably the 2nd most talented passer behind Josh Allen. He's similar to what we have in McCown and Hackenberg in terms of pocket passers with sheer athleticism and arm strength, but Lock hasn't developed the scars and bad habits that Hack did in college. He needs coaching, but he can play. I think he can become the type of player that McCown has been for the offense right now over the course of his career, which should be considered a good thing. 

Must say I would be extremely disappointed if we had McCown, Hack and some mid round QB from this draft.  

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Must say I would be extremely disappointed if we had McCown, Hack and some mid round QB from this draft.  

The second wave of QBs are talented. We just have to find the right one that fits our system. I'll admit, we have not done a good job of these in the last decade. But outside the big four, guys like Thorson, Falk (my personal favorite outside of Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield), Allen, Lock and Rudolph can be starting QBs if put in the right situation. And, in Allen's case, with the right coach. If Stidham declares this year, we can add him to the list. For the top 8-10 QBs, none of them are can't miss prospects, but all can find success in the right situation.

I prefer Cousins and, if not, a QB in the first round. But I would be fine if they take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if that guy fits the Jets offensive system and fits the new culture.

9 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I can’t see spending a 1st Rounder on him being a smart move. He does throw a nice deep ball though.

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I can’t see spending a 1st Rounder on him being a smart move. He does throw a nice deep ball though.

Although I agree a first round pick seems to be too high I  think there could be a lot of 2nd -3rd round  talent, like Lock, Mike White, Thorson, Grier, Stidham, Rudolph, etc, that could be elevated to the first round  There really seems to be a lot of QB needy teams this year so it wouldn’t surprise me

Besides us, there are at least 7 teams that could need a starting QB - Cleveland, Denver, Buffalo, Indy (if Luck is finished), Giants (although I think they stay with Eli), Arizona and Washington (unless they resign Cousins) After that teams  like NO, Pittsburgh, LAC, and NE could decide to use a first round pick on a future QB.  Bortles is so up and down that if a guy they like is available, Jacksonville could also take a QB in the first. The Cutler experiment failed so unless Miami is totally sold on Tannehill being their franchise QB, they could also take a QB they like in the first.

The Vikings are 10-2 so I’m pretty sure that they resign Keenum but that still leaves 14 teams that could take a QB in the first round. One of those teams will get Cousins but the other “top” free agents might be fools gold and would cost a lot more than a rookie. Bradford is an injury risk, Teddy hasn’t played in two years, McCarron has only started a few games because he couldn’t  beat out Andy Dalton. Also as Chicago showed last year, even if a team signs a Teddy or McCarron it doesn’t mean they still won’t draft one.

It would be a crazy draft if 10-13 QBs went in the first round.  I’d love to see the  strategy used to make selections. Say Cleveland takes Darnold and the  Giants get Rosen. Now Denver’s up but Elway likes traditional QBs so he doesn’t consider Mayfield and Jackson, would he take a chance on Josh Allen with the 4th pick? 

On 12/8/2017 at 6:36 PM, SDotNova said:

The second wave of QBs are talented. We just have to find the right one that fits our system. I'll admit, we have not done a good job of these in the last decade. But outside the big four, guys like Thorson, Falk (my personal favorite outside of Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield), Allen, Lock and Rudolph can be starting QBs if put in the right situation. And, in Allen's case, with the right coach. If Stidham declares this year, we can add him to the list. For the top 8-10 QBs, none of them are can't miss prospects, but all can find success in the right situation.

I prefer Cousins and, if not, a QB in the first round. But I would be fine if they take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if that guy fits the Jets offensive system and fits the new culture.

You probably thought the same thing about Petty or Hack or any of the other QB's not good enough to be drafted in the top half of round 1.  Why not just stick with Hack then if you are looking for a flawed QB you hope can mold into your system.  He'll have experience in the system already.  

Not saying we can't land a mid round guy who can be the next Wilson or Cousins but we done that over and over again with no success.  Despite 1 attempt a few years back with Sanchez we have never gone all in on a QB in the top 5 so if we don't go for one of these top 4 QB's or sign Cousins I will be extreme;y disappointed.  

You can be happy putting hope that Falk (who I also like actually as well) becomes something but I won't.  If we are going to draft a mid rounder to groom it should be like WAS did with RGIII and Cousins and take 2.  Get rid of the rest of the wasted roster space in Petty/Hack if you want another mid rounder to groom or just stick with Hack. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I find it still hilarious that people say move on from Hack. Gus still only 22 and hasn’t even taken a snap yet. He’s also under contract for 2 more seasons.

What's more hilarious would be to not draft or sign a QB under the assumption he's the answer.

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

What's more hilarious would be to not draft or sign a QB under the assumption he's the answer.

I’ve never said he’s the answer. I’ve said it’s ifiotic to not play him in a situation like we are in now these last few games to see what he has. I think qb needs to be addressed. But that’s assuming we either don’t play Hack or Hack looks lost. What if he plays these last few games and looks pretty darn good? You’d still want us to sign Cousins or use a top pick on a qb? That seems stupid to use a valuable pick at position where you might have a good young player at. I’d imagine Hack would struggle if he gets to play, so I expect qb to still be a need. But he shouldn’t be pushed aside already at only 22yrs old. He has talent and has been learning.

Archived